How an It bag Changed My Life

I didn't like the writing style and I don't agree with the article at all. Carrying an IT bag will get you "envy" something that can be bought but respect, no way, that must be earned!!!

An It bag can't change one's life. It may garner a little attention every now and then but I think in day to day life few people even know what these it bags are. I have a couple bags that could be considered "it", whatever that means but its not as though they have won me new friends or helped me become a better person. At the end of the day a bag is just a bag and one should get it because they like it not because of the ooh's and aahs of strangers.

I too buy nice bags because of their quality and uniqueness of design. Also because I just plain love bags! Clothing should be fun! It shouldn't be a contest between women. Some bags may have an it factor but its just as likely that one could get attention from a really wonderful non-designer bag picked up at a vintage store or a flea market. Sometimes I think this hype is all just generated to sell products. At the end of the day we like what we like and I think the goal should be getting something chic and unique that will last a long time instead of jumping on a trend.

The current crop of "it" bags are really cool. You can tell the designers put a lot of effort into their creation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even exiled in the fashion-backwards Louisville, Kentucky, an "IT" bag makes a lot of difference in the kind of customer service you get. Most of my bag collection is no-name bags; I buy a bag simply based on its design and color. However, this year has just produced so many gorgeous "IT" bags, that I had to have some of them.

To give you a sense of the fashion-scene here, the best department store we have is Macy's (and it's a really crummy Macy's at that), and the only real high-end contemporary boutique lasted only 3 years before going out of business. I did a social experiment recently in which I went to the other so-called boutiques with a dirty GAP bag and normal street wear. I was either ignored, or bossed around by the owners (usually the owners staff their own stores in town). Then I went to the same boutiques a few weeks later with my Fendi sequinned spy and normal street wear. The difference in treatment was astounding. Although the owner feigned ignorance about my bag, she immediately came up to touch it (I think to check its authenticity) and said, "Oh I just love your bag. Oh, it's Fendi. No wonder I love it". Then she proceeded to show me the crummy, but overpriced clothes in the store. Now I had my turn to roll my eyes at her, and let her know that I would never buy anything from her store given the preferential treatment. Besides, I travel and buy my clothes online. It was very, very satisfying seeing the look on her face.:lol::lol:

wow, greendrv, the boutique owner knew what a fendi spy was? in albuquerque, new mexico they know coach, d&b, and apparently fake LVs. but whatever - customer service should be customer service, whether you're carrying a bag from target or a birkin.

I noticed the thing with customer service too. I sometimes stop by Saks right after school just to browse - One day I came in with just sweatpants and a t shirt, I wasn't once asked if I needed help or wanted to see something. It didn't seem like I was taken seriosly, also becuase of my age. About 2 weeks later I came in again but went home to change this time into nicer more put-together clothing and took my python silverado, I saw much better service from the same SA at the Chanel stand. It's unfortunate, but I guess I see why they do it. I'm sure tons of teenage girls come in to see the bags and finger prints and everything on them w/o ever buying them

someone carrying a designer bag looks as if they can tell the difference between mass market and quality.

This I have to agree with. Many women (mostly ones who cant afford it) feel that "it" bags are foolish, a waste of money. And thats fine, but those are probably people who can't recognize or appreciate the finer things in life. They will be the same people, even when they start making $100,000 will still be sleeping on walmart sheets, and wouldn't understand why someone might spend a several hundred on nice sheets.

Say you buy a bag at $3,000. Spread that over six months and it’s an affordable $500 a month. If you can stretch it out for a year, it comes up to just $250 a month.

Okay, this is just maniacal thinking :shock: and this theory flys out the window when you buy a bag every few months. :lol:

The author of the article is right, you DO get alot attention. And me being a shy person, it makes me sort of uncomfortable sometimes. But then again, I get that even when Im not carrying an "it" bag, I just dont like too much attention. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much for the article, chiangsi!! fun read, and v. timely!

it is strange...before i got my spy, my paddy got me decent treatment at the chloe boutique. after i started carrying my spy into the chloe boutique, i realized just how much nicer they could be. people at fendi are nice too when they see the spy. however they seem alot nicer when they see my fox hat...it's like a luxury goods food chain...:lol:

however, i don't think it bags can rightly be critized for their price. if you buy an it bag in the right color, the bag is a better investment than a car which depreciates 20-40% when you drive it off the lot. theoretically you could buy one early on when only uber-fashionable people have it, use it for 6 months during which the bag craze reaches a climax, then sell it for very close to the purchase price and move onto the next it bag....repeat ad infinitum....:P no amortization necessary. :lol:

Oooh, great article. I don't like the idea of fashion elitism - some of the best-dressed women I know are magpies, patching their looks together from decades of collecting random pieces, not all of them designer.

But I have to admit - It Bags are great conversation starters. I'm a pretty shy person, but I nearly tackled a girl carrying a black Fendi spy (the cute puppy helped too) who I would have otherwise deemed too prissy to talk to. I live in Los Angeles, so women carry It bags like grocery bags... but I've seen girls stalk each other in the Beverly Center bec. someone's carrying a lizard-skin Chloe Paddy. It almost brings out a hunting instinct. Perhaps the tunnel vision only serves to reflect how bag crazy I am - but this is the fun in being a girl. :D

Whoa! Resurrecting an old thread here... :Ninja: I don't really care about the status of an it bag, but I really think it's fun to meet people through handbags, I like meeting other people who like fashion, and it's REALLY rare for me to do that, so anything that helps me is ok by me! ^_^

This is scary. That woman is seriously crazy, she needs to stop using a handbag as a crutch.

That's part of the reason why I stopped carrying my bags, I just felt like I hid behind them, and I didnt like the attention they garnered, so I had to take it away, I couldnt stand it. Since then, Ive been bag-free and fabulous (though every once in a while I have a small panic attack that I left my bag on the train or something).

IT bags are dead anyway.

Diorling said:
IT bags are dead anyway.

why do you think so?

This story reminds me of the Ugly Betty episode where Betty is given a really hideous gucci 'it' bag and all the slim, gorgeous etc etc people start talking to her.

Personally, if i see an 'it' bag or bag i know, my attention is on IT. (usually admiring it). I don't associate it with the person. Today I saw two gorgeous Stams. I didn't see people- just the stams. Gorgeous.

thats an interesting article, unfortunate but true to some point! yeah me too have observed that I get better service when I carry my IT bags..

kisa said:
Whoa! Resurrecting an old thread here...

:innocent:Sorry... I always click on the "Similar Threads" links and never notice how old they are...

Bel said:
:innocent:Sorry... I always click on the "Similar Threads" links and never notice how old they are...

No problems! I like old threads! ^_^

I bought an IT bag, and it didn't change my life, either: I just realized IT was still just a bag ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->