How are trends decided/ where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by ebowleg, Feb 29, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

Every season, major trends emerge from the designer collections. For spring 2003, it was chinoiseree (spelling?), fall 2003 was jewel tones, and fall 2002 had a huge gothic feel. I would really like to know if many designers think the same, and come up with the same trends, or if the big houses get together and decide on what the next big thing(s) will be...This has probably been asked before, and might even be one of those "don't ask, don't tell" kind of things, but I am dying to know... :eek:

2. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

I think that there is a certain awareness in the fashion community of what the competition may be doing at any particular moment. While I doubt that many designers take it upon themselves to steal directly, I'm quite sure that, on some level, it influences the choices made for runway.

3. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Indicative planning so no-one is the black sheep unless they wish it so?

4. kit

kit New Member

Don't the Italian , French , Japanese etc trade magazine organisations produce ' mood books ' , for designer inspiration ?

eg the Collezioni ( Donna , Uomo etc. ) Group .

That would account for the ' trends ' being particular to each season and seen in most designers' collections .

KIT

5. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

it all starts from the 'bureaux de style' books and individual consulting agencies,
    and major trends start up from fabric manufacturers, see designers create with what is produced by their suppliers.

major moods are emerging out of long and precise observations done by real 'huge' trend webs that act, un-code and communicate global new atmospheres in marketing, society, lifestyle and decoration.

its a huge melting pot and yes, designers do get affected by global trendscouts in their creative process :flower:
    but it sure is not some 'conspirancy' just professional quidance based on global style studies, it has been going on since the early 80s or even earlier ;)

6. em 692

em 692 Guest

This question is killing me!

How are trends decided? It can't just be coincedence that all the designers put the same things on the runway! Do all the head desginers just go to some convention that decides all the trends? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

7. LAlights

LAlights New Member

Good question...I've thought about this too. Ever since the whole satin-cargo-drawstring pant was in (do any of you guys remember this?) and how it seemed that EVER designer was debuting this, I've been dying to know also! Sorry, I know this doesnt answer your question, but I definitely want to know too!!!!!!!!

8. fireatwill

fireatwill New Member

^^ that really helped.

It makes a lot of sense, but it kind of takes away from the magical appeal of it all. I guess I'd rather have helter skelter runway shows where everyone has something different. But, then again, it'd be so difficult to follow if you have Dior doing something Marc doing another and Chloe something else.

<3 Me.

9. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

glad it helped...:flower:...
    there are still plenty of designers who march to the beat of their own drum and choose not to follow trends...

or perhaps they are just so small that they can't afford to subscribe to the big trend agencies...:innocent:
    i believe it's pretty costly...

#9 softgrey, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited by moderator starrb81477: Apr 28, 2005
  10. Ella

Ella New Member

This topic really interests me as well. I read an article about those trendscouts once, that would be such an interesting job actually. But as fireatwill said it does kind of take away from the magical appeal. I still have a question though, what is the point of this? Is it supposed to be like a cartel? How do all the major fashion houses benefit from this?

11. fireatwill

fireatwill New Member

haha. your last bit was hilarious.

but, yes, that did help. thank you. hopefully we'll be seeing more designers popping out with different creations than the ones they mail ordered from trend agencies... that'll be the day.

<3 me.

12. Lea

Lea New Member

this is the job of Trend Analysts and Forecasters

read more:
    from CNN Money - http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/28/pf/sixfigs_eight/

13. Lea

Lea New Member

14. Lea

Lea New Member

There's also color forecasting, and consulting for almost everything there is including: Fabric, Textiles, Yarn, Fiber, Patternmaking, and Footwear.

some color forecasting agencies:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. whizkit

whizkit space-force garçons

Trend forecasting seems to me to be an act that is self perpetuating. The agencies say what colours and products are going to be trendy and hot in a few season's time, the designers and conglomerates follow the advice and churns out products that are in line with the forecast, the editors and consumers sees every major design house using similar colour palattes and styles. They then proclaim those styles and colours to be the hottest ones of the season. And it is the very ones that were decided and "forecasted" by the agencies.

16. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

thanks lea!!...great info...:flower:

17. em 692

em 692 Guest

Interesting stuff... thanks guys!

18. hot stuff

hot stuff New Member

Wow, very interesting!

19. ajott

ajott New Member

20. xiao_ai009

xiao_ai009 New Member

good point! Then the trend forecasting agencies are always right..