How can fashion be affordable?

oanadobre

Reaction score
In my country the medium wage is just 100 dolars a month. I make much more, however I have this dilemma: how can women be expected to meet the standards of fashion and beauty when they hardly have the money for basic stuff: food, home and electrcity. And viceversa: how can designer or manufacturers adapt their work to meet the needs and possibilities of low- income women?

they way that major fashion conglomerates do it is by offering lower-priced items like cosmetics and fragrance. it allows one to participate with a brand without the hefty price tag. a woman may never find herself able to afford a quilted chanel purse, but most people can save up for a bottle of chanel no. 5. :o

Many women I know actually find it hard to save for a spray deodorant... And despite the appearances I don't live in a third world country...

Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:50 am
In my country the medium wage is just 100 dolars a month. I make much more, however I have this dilemma: how can women be expected to meet the standards of fashion and beauty when they hardly have the money for basic stuff: food, home and electrcity. And viceversa: how can designer or manufacturers adapt their work to meet the needs and possibilities of low- income women?
what country are you from??

ROMANIA. What I hate most is that fashion is such a beautiful thing- almost an art in itself, but very few can enjoy it.
Last week in a magazine a so- called "high society" lady- wife of a nouveau riche was praised for owning a 2000 dollars Louis Vuitton bag- it was said that this bag was the most expensive in the romanian "socialite" field. I mean, come on! :angry:

Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 8:30 am
ROMANIA. What I hate most is that fashion is such a beautiful thing- almost an art in itself, but very few can enjoy it.
Last week in a magazine a so- called "high society" lady- wife of a nouveau riche was praised for owning a 2000 dollars Louis Vuitton bag- it was said that this bag was the most expensive in the romanian "socialite" field. I mean, come on! :angry:
I feel for you :heart:

My father was from Romania ( I think the village is called Karosh Va in Transylvania ) and I have SOME contact with relatives . :blush:

I remember that in the 80s , relatives were asking my father to take some ' farmers' jeans ' as they were the ' tops ' , then . :wink:

It was only after a dubious reception for what he took that we realised that what was meant was ' FALMERS JEANS ' !!!!! :o :o :o :o

It's LOUIS VUITTON now , is it ? :P

Progress of a kind , at ANY rate . :cry:

KIT ( Benedek ! ) . :innocent:

When we first came to NY,Ali became very good friends with a model named Asta from Lithuania (she was Ford's Supermodel of the world in 2001 I think). Every dime she made ,she sent home to her family. She showed us a picture of her house. It was very small and 6or 7 of her relatives lived there. I don't know if this is the norm for most foreign models or just applied in her case. She was one of the sweetest girls we've ever met. We lost touch with her,I would love to know how she is doing.

I truly apreciate all your comments, but I guess we must go back to the topic, before Leyla spots us and gets upset :wink: .
Please tell me, how can little money and fashion mix?

I think there are far more important things in life than fashion. One shouldn't torment him/herself because he can't afford something luxurious, that is pretty sad. I know that the pop culture demands it, but one must find strength and inner peace without it. I think that the spiritual fullfillment is much more important. Like you said, fashion is a form of art - so whenever I can not afford something, I don't mind just going to stores to see what the designers created for this season (sort of like going to a museum without a NEED to buy a Picasso, but still having an appretiation for it.)

Mike made an excellent point, as usual. The sad part is, if people only knew how much the prices are jacked up for perfume/cosmetics as compared to clothes....

Originally posted by mikeijames@Apr 15th, 2004 - 8:15 am
they way that major fashion conglomerates do it is by offering lower-priced items like cosmetics and fragrance. it allows one to participate with a brand without the hefty price tag. a woman may never find herself able to afford a quilted chanel purse, but most people can save up for a bottle of chanel no. 5. :o
That's true. I can't afford anything designer yet I own perfumes by Chanel, Gucci, etc. I guess I really should be saving my money for better clothes but it's nice to indulge yourself with small useless things sometimes such as expensive perfume and makeup (though a lot of them were gifts). I can see how these corporations are sucking me into a big hole as a middle class consumer.

I remember when cheaper perfumes were considered tacky and now they are starting to be more accepted. There are more affordable options these days that smell great.

Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:50 am
Why would you feel that you need to meet the standards of fashion? And what are the standards of fashion...does that exist?

I mean fashion can be a lot of things and it isnt b/c you spend $$$$$ on xy and z.
Keep yourself groomed and dress up your hair...even sew your own clothes if you can...I mean you can do a lot of stuff... just b/c someone carries a lv bag or a chanel bag doesnt mean they are fashionable it just means they have extra money to spend :lol:
Take good care of the items you do own and dont worry yourself over things that wont matter in the end.

:wink: Good luck

Originally posted by Missy44x+Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:46 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Missy44x @ Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:46 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:50 am
Why would you feel that you need to meet the standards of fashion? And what are the standards of fashion...does that exist?

I mean fashion can be a lot of things and it isnt b/c you spend $$$$$ on xy and z.
Keep yourself groomed and dress up your hair...even sew your own clothes if you can...I mean you can do a lot of stuff... just b/c someone carries a lv bag or a chanel bag doesnt mean they are fashionable it just means they have extra money to spend :lol:
Take good care of the items you do own and dont worry yourself over things that wont matter in the end.

:wink: Good luck [/b][/quote]
I agree.

If standards in fashion means you have to be carrying the latest LV bag (or any LV bag) than im not sorry for not being "fashionable" in society's eyes.

Little money and fashion can mix very easily..i like vintage stuff that wont break the bank :flower:

Originally posted by banana@Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:10 am
small useless things
don't think of frangrance as small and useless...i have met many women who i have noticed because of a sophisticated cloud of luxurious scent. they are well put together and complete made up (not necessarily in designer duds or expensive cosmetics), but their smell just elevates them into this stylish thing [i think of several department store workers who wear very bland clothing, but their make-up and scents really makes me think they know what's going on...a real sense of style without labels]

Thank you! Fragrance has always been my favourite accessory. I don't wear it everyday anymore because I don't want to disturb those with perfume allergies. :(

having designer clothes doesn't mean you have extra style...it means youo have extra money...

i refer to my signature quote... :innocent:

i think the key to making fashion work when you have little money is using creativity. mixing vintage finds with more contemporary pieces, altering thrift store finds that aren't quite right but have potential. and knowing when to splurge on that occassional expensive pair of shoes or jeans that will bring your look together every time. style doesnt come from owning obviously expensive rags, it comes from knowing what looks good and what complements.

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 15th, 2004 - 8:51 pm
having designer clothes doesn't mean you have extra style...it means youo have extra money...
Certainly does! :wink:

When I was younger and didn't really have any money to buy designer stuff, I still managed to look good. Great stuff doesn't have to cost a lot, you simply need to be a bit creative to achieve the looks you want. It's educational in some ways...!

But... If we're talking about Romania, which I think is THE poorest country in Europe, "ordinary" people have practically no money. Sometimes not even enough for bare necessities, let alone small luxuries.

Since I moved to Italy I find myself in a situation where I make doube, maybe even triple, the amount of some of my Italian colleagues. Italian salaries are very low compared to Swedish ones, and I do get paid a decent "Swedish" salary. I am good at what I do, but it feels very unfair.

They have to budget to buy a new winter jacket, and not an expensive designer one either. I go shopping and spend hundreds on skincare, maybe some new shoes, perhaps another sweater... Sometimes I feel guilty when I waltz into the office dressed head-to-toe in designer wear. :ninja:

Originally posted by tott@Apr 15th, 2004 - 9:44 pm
But... If we're talking about Romania, which I think is THE poorest country in Europe
I think it's actually thought to be Moldova, but yah it's in the same area.. :flower:

I live in Mexico, but in the richest city of the country, Monterrey. You wouldn´t imagine what people have here... Everyone and his mother wear Louis Vuitton or Fendi handbags, but they pair them with Zara´s outfits or anything, so no big deal, they are not into fashion they just want to show off. Is when you go to the clubs where you see the gorgeous heiresses dressed beautifully in obviously haute couture or designer outfits in their sized 2 body. They wear furs in winter (is not even cold in here), amazing jewelry...

The social contrasts are huge in this country, so sad.

Originally posted by Bixii@Apr 15th, 2004 - 4:34 pm

The social contrasts are huge in this country, so sad.
I agree, the social contrasts are so different in most countries...but as we're talking about Romania........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->