How Long Is Too Long?

Adore

New/Inactive Member
Reaction score
What do you consider to be "too long" length of hair? I have bottom length hair, but I'm wondering if you think that is too long. Is it out of style to have hair that long? I am going to New York in January to model, and I'm afraid the agency will want to cut it. I would rather do it beforehand so I am prepared and it wouldn't be so much of a shock. I would consider waist length, but anything above shoulder length I couldn't bear. What do you think? (Sorry I don't have a picture, but I have blonde hair, straight with no fringe and sort of the "alien" look like Heather or Gemma!)

Oh, oh, oh- don't let them cut it! That would be so horrible, and sad, and extremely stupid on their part. Not a model, but just think about what happened to Keri Russell when she cut her hair off. No one even remembered her... A model's hair is one of her trademarks, it would make you stand out! I am sure that those modeling agents see so many beautiful people over the course of their day. To have someone come in with hair like that would make you stick in their mind. In fact, one of the newest models got an editorial and the cover of W magazine, I believe. She's a pretty looking girl overall, but the thing that everyone was talking about was her hair. I believe they wrote about her on models.com... I'll see if I can find her picture again. Please keep it, I am horribly envious too, of really long hair!

"I'd say it's too long if you start looking like a hippy," he says, half joking and half serious.

for me, hair mid-back in length is the cut-off. But that's just me. :flower:

It depends on the condition and texture of the hair.

Some people with super long hair look gorgeous, whereas others, it just looks scary and unhygenic somewhat.

Personally, any lower than waist length is too long and besides, if you aren't extremely tall, long hair drags you down and makes you appear shorter than you are. :flower:

Thanks for the advice purplelucrezia, AlexN, Erin, and saturnine! I probably won't cut my hair more than a few inches at most. I hope I don't look like a hippy :doh: and my hair is pretty healthy, so I think it is ok! I got scared when I watched "America's Next Top Model" and they cut Jennifer's hair because they said it wasn't practical for modeling.

bio_jennipher.jpg

personally elbow length is the limit for me. my hair used to go down to my bum and i'd always accidentally sit on it or it'd get caught on something. my stylist said that it was too overwhelming at that length...i wasn't in control of my hair, my hair controled me! :ninja:

If you can use your hair as toiletpaper then its too long :ninja:

I don't like it going past the shoulder blades. I think that long hair distracts away from a woman's curves, it draws your eye JUST to the hair and not to the body...especially in that picture you posted, all I can focus on is just the tail of hair going down the back.

edit: is it blades?the bits that stick out on your back when you move your arm back. Where the bra strap goes

My hair is at about my bra-line. I think it's a bit long and I need to get it cut soon. I don't like super long hair - most of the time the ends start to look ugly.

i think bra-length is the longest i could go. then there's Demi Moore who looks great w/waist-long hear. depends on texture too. however, in Hawaii, it's common to see girls w/hair to their waist b/c of Hula.

I used to have ***-length hair and I loved it. It all comes down to personal style. If it works for you, which it sounds like it does, keep it. Cross the haircut bridge when/if you come to it. A pretty head of hair might be the ace in your sleeve as far as having a distinctive look is concerned.

Originally posted by As You Like It@Nov 17 2004, 10:53 PM
I used to have ***-length hair and I loved it.  It all comes down to personal style.  If it works for you, which it sounds like it does, keep it.  Cross the haircut bridge when/if you come to it.  A pretty head of hair might be the ace in your sleeve as far as having a distinctive look is concerned.
[snapback]436731[/snapback]​
agreed :flower:
I usually get my hair trimmed if it goes beyond bra length - just because when it's longer, it's harder for me to manage and the ends tend to split :ninja:

but if you have healthy long hair and you can manage it, I'd say keep it, because it must be lovely :flower:

keep it long, until it becomes a roadblock. then chop it off!

My hair used to be longer than ***-length. I would sit on it and nearly get whiplash when I got up sometimes. In my graduation photos, I'm accepting my diploma as my principal comments on "I'll sure miss that hair!" (butthole! I was president of 8 clubs and all he will remember me for is my hair? grr)

the next day I cut it to shoulder length. Now its long again (mid-back) and I think I'm comfortable at this length.

I read in a magazine that once your hair reaches past the bust line, then it's considered too long for most styles. Usually models have the 'just past the shoulders with long layers' cut because it is the most versatile. Hair is such an emotional attachment though! At least it is personally for me. I couldn't go abouve the shoulders either. And besides, your hair sounds so lovely! I have long hair and sometimes when I go in for a trim I get more taken off then usual.....i'm depressed for the next two weeks! :neutral:

Originally posted by oceanharlot@Nov 17 2004, 11:55 PM
In my graduation photos, I'm accepting my diploma as my principal comments on "I'll sure miss that hair!" (butthole! I was president of 8 clubs and all he will remember me for is my hair? grr)
[snapback]436827[/snapback]​
:lol: aww :flower:

and Emilie, I know what you mean, the last time I got my hair cut aboove shoulder length I nearly cried :blush:

I think that if you have a small pretty face, short hair is much more flattering!

For me personally, if its past my shoulders its too long, now my hair is very short (alla meg ryan when very short) and it emphasizes my features and face. I cut it 2 months ago when it was mid way down my back, now I cant stop cutting! IMO long hair doesnt flatter the face at ALL, especially if its not layered, has bangs or anything to sort of frame the face,.....

You are modelling, that means you are pretty, so I suggest cut it shoulder length or something with many layers, it will emphasize your beauty. Some of the prettiest girls land up looking bland when their hair is too long and with no shape.

My 2 cents

I am still in my little girl phase about long hair! I love it! My hair is still only about 3 inches past my shoulders though. I think, keep in healthy, and it should look fine! Some lenghts are obviously going to suit certain faces, and I also think it is important to take into account height and body shape. It all has to be in balance. So you just decide what you're comfortable with, and think about how much you are willing to do for your modelling agency- a change might be cool, having a new hairdo can be so exciting and a big confidence booster, but at the same time, don't let them completley change you or do something with YOUR look that YOU'RE not comfortable with! :smile:

Mid back or a little longer is great. But if you have great hair and a kinda childish look you can wear it longer...in my opinion...

my hair has never been above my shoulders, partly because it emphasizes the size of my golf ball pin head :blush: my dad unsuccessfully tried to ground me when i cut it because he likes long hair

i think it depends on the individual

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MLM1963
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->