How Much Can an AVERAGE Model Expect to Get Paid? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

asta

Reaction score
Moderator's Note / Thread Rules

Please stay on topic.

This thread is intended to be a discussion to provide information about what a newer and/or average model may expect to get paid in various situations ... runway, editorial, ad campaigns, catalogs, etc. And you may discuss how models get paid and how their agencies usually handle all of that.

However, this thread is not intended to post specific fees that a well known model has been paid, particularly the top ones, because the topic of this thread is "what average models get paid". Nor is this a thread to discuss other modeling issues. Posts that are not specifically "on topic" may be deleted..

On the other side of what a model gets paid, there are expenses to be paid. To learn about who pays for all those modeling expenses go here: The Truth about Modeling Expenses ... Who Really Pays?

For additional topics about modeling as a career, search this forum (Careers) using the keyword "modeling".

i don't know if anyone can help me out... but i know that there are so many on the fashion spot that are involved in modeling or other behind the scenes work... so why not ask, right?

in general... how much do models make for print work?

do lesser known models receive a salary at all?

and how would an unknown model's salaray compare to that of someone breaking like tiiu... and even further, to someone like karen elson?

:heart: thanks so much! :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've modelled since I was 13. Never saw any money at all, the agencies made sure all the money I and the others earned went into "expences", what they charge for a room is ridiculous, I'd rather be at a fancy hotel and it would be cheaper, and when the models took a cab to the castings (over the fashionweeks, maybe 3-4 models for one car) they put on the models account the full cost of the cab, they did not split the cost between the models.

For a show I'd get from 200 pounds to 400, depended on the desighner etc

I did a show for Issey Miyake in Paris and I did almost the entire showroom but my agency there (Next) didn't want to show me my account, what had been spent and what I had gotten payd, still haven't seen a thing. They also threw away all my poloroids I had been collecting in my book and some other photos so I'm furious!!!

But for shoots I've gotten nothing up to 1000 pounds a day (I did a two day shoot... never saw that money, went all in expences). I've gotten nothing for the editorial magasines but a lot for catalogs etc. I've never been into Vouge and mags like that so I don't know about them, but I've been in the Face, Purple, Pavement etc and got nothing. Both were big stories.

so my conclusion:

Shows: 200-400 pounds more for bigger models and shows

Photoshoots: nothing and up
little or nothing for editorial
Quite good for catalogs, I've only seen 1000pounds and up
no idea for glam mags
RICH for campaigns :wink:

Editorials like Vogue etc. don't pay anything. the models GET to be in the magazine.. so they don't get paid. Italian Vogue never pays for flights, ie. if the shoot is in ny and the girl is in europe or la etc. even for top models, the girls pay their own flights for italian vogue. Some magazines, Elle, Marie Claire will sometimes pay the girl two hundred dollars, and then it all goes to the agency expenses. The girls are responsable for their own expenses, which makes sense, but a lot of agencies add extra expenses that never happened, so the girls have to watch it. Catalogues do pay a lot, bloomingdales etc can pay upwards of 10,000 dollars a day. But keep in mind that girls dont do catalogues every day. Most days they just do castings, and then fly themselves to europe to do an editorial, so they dont see a lot of money early on. ususally. some campaignes dont even pay that much.. i hear that versace pays only a few thousand dollars, which seems like a lot, but if girls are onlyh doing editorials, they need this to live on, and it isnt enough. also the girls faces are everywhere... they should be paid for it. For shows, in new york, most just give the girls some clothes, and thats it. There are only a few shows in ny that pay in money. in milan, girls can make a lot in a show week, a thousand per show, a few hundred per show, it adds up. but they have to pay their own flight their own hotel, driver, etc... paris agencies take 66% of everything they make, because france's taxes are quite high, so the agency legally has to take out their taxes before they get the money, and then they also take a commission to make money.. so all in all, most models do not make that much money. the majority of the girls that are discussed on this forum do make a living, but theyre not living in penthouse apartments and driving around in limos. they know this is a short career and need to save their money. the magazines make so much money in advertising, and they dont pay any of us, hairstylists, makeup artists photographers and models. magazines like surface, the face, id, etc. dont even pay for photographer's costs for developing flim. basically, girls have to scrape by on agency advnaces... (money they give like an allowance each week, but the girl does have to pay them back when they get jobs)...
Most of the high profile campaignes do pay money... a few thousand each day, and like prada, takes 5 days to shoot. some pay upwards of 20,000 dollars for the usage of the pictures. but there are so many models out there that dont get these jobs...

Oh, and people in this business dont make salaries. If they get a job they make money. they could go a long time without making money.. In New York:

GROSS (amount the client pays the agency) - 20% comission - (if a foreign model without a

social security number) 30% taxes for the US government - all expenses..(ie. plane ticket,

composite cards, driver, apartment rent, messenger fees..........etc...) = NOT THAT MUCH!! v :wink:

I realy have to agree! I've been doing modeling since 16 (I'm 22 now). And I have to say, sometimes I'm realy upset... It's exactly as ducky said! 2 years ago I did fitting for Azzedine Alaia in Paris. I had to do this job 1 month, every day for 2 hours, except Saturday and Sunday. On my voucher was almost 7.000 euro only for this job. With the other jobs I totally made more then 10.000 euros and do you wanna know how much I finally got? 418 euro!!!!!!!! :angry: And I couldn't do anything. :cry:

Originally posted by sinneres@Apr 26th, 2004 - 12:43 pm
I realy have to agree! I've been doing modeling since 16 (I'm 22 now). And I have to say, sometimes I'm realy upset... It's exactly as ducky said! 2 years ago I did fitting for Azzedine Alaia in Paris. I had to do this job 1 month, every day for 2 hours, except Saturday and Sunday. On my voucher was almost 7.000 euro only for this job. With the other jobs I totally made more then 10.000 euros and do you wanna know how much I finally got? 418 euro!!!!!!!! :angry: And I couldn't do anything. :cry:
I never realized that the methods of payment were this warped :shock: that really sucks, I wonder if lawsuits could be filed to keep stuff like this from happening

I heard recently that a big group of models are sue'ing their agencies for not paying or just plain koning them. Heard this about a year ago, hope things will work out better for the models in the future.

The 'Don't feed the models' tees Just aren't funny any more :cry:

Originally posted by Betty Boop@Apr 26th, 2004 - 1:43 pm
I heard recently that a big group of models are sue'ing their agencies for not paying or just plain koning them. Heard this about a year ago, hope things will work out better for the models in the future.
I second that - they work hard at their jobs and deserve to be paid well for it, it isn't fair that they should be cheated out of their money

This is scary information. :huh:
Modelmom?
Taylor? or
Suprememodel?
Do you have info/stories similar to this??? :unsure:

There is a topic here about the agencies being sued.

That lawsuit has been in the works for years.

When a model starts, her agency pays for everything. But! The girl has to pay it all back eventually. Its nothing new. Its almost always been that way. But a girl needs to keep up with her account to make sure there aren't some bogus charges up there.

A client may take up to 6 months!!!!!! to get the money to your agency. Luckily, NYC is only taking 20% from me. But in Milano, they are taking 50%! And in paris...even more like 70%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

A model could work and work and work, she might even be recognizable from all the shows and edits she's done. But she's getting paid crap. The models who aren't doing edit after edit in magazines like jalouse, *surface, nylon are making the cash doing catalogue for clients like La Redoute and new port news. THOSE girls are in the big $$$. You wouldn't think so, would ya? :wink:

Unless a new model is going to pay for all her tests, prints, cards, messengers, etc. She is going to have an account. And its going to be needed to be paid back. It might take FOREVER if you are just doing edits and are refusing to do the non glamourous catalogue stuff... :innocent:

wow, seems like models don't really lead a fabulous life? Well I think you guys have cleared out all the wrong perceptions about the life of a supermodel!
I remember Catriona Balfe said once on TV, that "fabulous hotel and private jets rarely happens for free" and now I guess it's true! Maybe only the super super super models like Kate, Cindy, Naomi, Linda, Gisele, and Claudia get to make tens of millions of bucks! (that makes sense since in almost every industry, only the top few make big bucks)

very true, and im sure all those top models had to work just as hard to get there.

:shock:

Wow this was a little eye opening to say the least, seems like unless your name is Gisele that you might not be making the big bucks as some seem to think all models do.

I am curious to know if a rumor I heard was true or not. I have heard that Victoria's Secret pays their models $25,000 USD for their runway shows...I assume that is for the more 'big names' like Adriana Lima etcetera?

On other randomness:

I never would have imagined that catalog models in Newport News make that much. :huh:

~Amara ^_^

Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Apr 26th, 2004 - 3:26 pm
making the cash doing catalogue for clients like La Redoute and new port news. THOSE girls are in the big $$$. You wouldn't think so, would ya? :wink:

Why Korina Longin is one of the wealthiest models working today :lol: :wink: and most people would say "who?"

The key to the amount of money you make is,how much in demand you are, being available ,if you have a good agency and if you have a booker that believes in you. The only exception to this is luck, running into the right photographer,designer or client . Each model's pay rate differs. New faces get little or nothing their first season unless they become the flavor of the moment in which case their price skyrockets. Agencies frown on disclosing rates and if your doing well it's best not to disclose that info. You start out in the hole as in most professions but if your willing to work and have the" look" the money is there. Some editorials do pay,not a lot but getting your face seen in the right mag leads to better jobs, the best runway shows and the" mother lode" campaigns. Some top models started out doing catalogs (very good money) and it is up to the model and her/his agent to decide if it's right for them. It is a shock when you see your check minus the deductions,so it's up to the model to go over it, and question any deductions she does'nt understand. Do they take more than their share? Who knows? And should you question it? Not if you want to keep working. :(

so...someone like Gemma Ward isn't gettin paid much yet? i thought she'd be gettin heaps...everyone in perth is so jealous! maybe not any more...

Originally posted by Amara@Apr 26th, 2004 - 5:49 pm

On other randomness:

I never would have imagined that catalog models in Newport News make that much. :huh:

~Amara ^_^
not all of them do...usually they'll hire 5-6 girls...a few at lower rates...one or two a bit higher and then they get a 'star' who gets a very high day rate...

so...not every girl in the same show or ad will be making the same rate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muggins1265
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"