How Much Can an AVERAGE Model Expect to Get Paid? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

It depends on if it's contract or not. And it depends on the advertisement-territory, sometimes it's just Only-Asia/Only-US campaigns or even only published in one European country. Big differences.

How much does a Rimmel campaign pay? Just curious because compared to say, hmm, Chanel or YSL, Rimmel seems pretty cheap to me.

i think they pay more for the same reason.they are cheap so many more people buy them. then paying 3 or 4 times more just for a more famous brand.beside you can get rimmer prety much everywhere,but chanel n ysl not so much.

I think it depends on if they use a model or a big name actress as well. A chanel campaign with say, Nicole Kidman, or even perhaps a model with celebrity "status" would definitely pay more than any regular model for any of the three...That and the amount and extent of usage factors into the pay, more so than the "cache" of the brand.

How much does a Rimmel campaign pay? Just curious because compared to say, hmm, Chanel or YSL, Rimmel seems pretty cheap to me.

If you can't really make a living out of modeling then why some models comeback after breaks of 1 year or more. I mean they already know how the modeling world is; how much they get paid, that isn't so glamorous. So what attracts them back? :blink: If I experience a job that doesn't pay me much, I would probably never go back to it. :huh:

Just to add a bit to the whole 'pay-in-trade' thing:

Sophie Serj posted this on a blog she's running for the IMG website. I know Sophie's not really you average model - she does quite well every season, and books a fair amount of HF work, but she's not at the very top. But she does say that she was paid in trade a whole season after she walked for Thakoon - no Prada, but still a fairly prominent and prestigious brand. And this is in New York. So yes, models ('good quality' ones) do get paid in trade in America.

After doing Thakoon casting i got my trade because i did the show last season. Suddenly i found myself in another room and a woman checked my name: she said: ‘ Sophie Thakoon decided to give you a bag’ me: wow thank you’ woman: ‘ it’s a bag’ me: ‘ yes it is’ woman: (serious look)…(i look very serious too by the way) ‘come with me’ and there is Thakoon’s little doggie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish i got that dog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soooo CUTE !! im dying here now!!!!!.ok back to bag.. so she held the bag: (more serious look) ‘its a very nice bag’ she said. me: yes and i appreciate it so much. ( JUST PLEASE GIVE ME THAT BAG!!! PLEASE !!!)i got it and its sooo BEAUTIFUL !! Thank you so much Thakoon !!
imgmodelsblog via crystaljukebox

Also, from this it seems like models don't get items 'hot off the runway'. (Which, BTW, makes no sense to me - for someone to wear an item from a show the day after it is seen, is like an ad campaign being leaked early. Yes, models make good street style advertisments for brands, but it would be nonsense to give them clothes no one else can get untill they are released for sale. Spoils the supsense for the other retailers IMO.) They get them round about when they would be released for sale right?

If you can't really make a living out of modeling then why some models comeback after breaks of 1 year or more. I mean they already know how the modeling world is; how much they get paid, that isn't so glamorous. So what attracts them back? :blink: If I experience a job that doesn't pay me much, I would probably never go back to it. :huh:

because A LOT of girls, are ok to do it just for the parties, celebrities/rich people connections and so on...:wink:

Madrid VS London
It really seems that, models-wise, the Spanish capital is gaining ground.

A recent article appeared in the Guardian has launched the provoking news that having to chose where to do runways shows (and being unable to be, alas, in two places at the same time) London seems to be losing ground to other fashion weeks in the eyes of the models.

Many brands in Milan require that the models do castings long in advance, while New York keeps models busy also after the shows.

And then – we were saying – there’s Madrid, with fees reaching 10,000 Euros a day, and a less stressful life than in London.

After the first shows of the official schedule and the first rumors, we can confirm that there are some prominent names on the catwalks here in Madrid: from super-famous Carmen Kass to Alla Kostromicheva, the face of Kiev Fashion Days and cover girl of Harper's Bazaar UK in September, plus Iris Strubegger, gracing the cover of Vogue Germany’s September issue.

Elisa Pervinca Bellini

vogue.it

Last edited by a moderator:
We're an incredibly small label and it's probably different overseas, but just thought I'd share...

Sometimes we pay partially in trade, ie. $x cash $y in product. For the component in product, the model can choose whatever they want. At any rate, you still pay the booking fee for the model (even if it were all in product).

What's in it for the agency - you won't typically get experienced girls by paying in product, unless she's recently changed her look (dyed / cut her hair, lost/gained weight, etc.) because they do it for folio shots. This way the agency don't have to cover those shots. Oh, and it doesn't happen unless you have a great photographer / stylist / hair / makeup team on board. Unless they're really low-rent anyway...

HTHs

^ when the model is only paid in product, what amount is the booking fee typically? Is it a percentage of the $value of the clothes the model gets? or is it a set fee?

So i guess that's why Madrid this last couple of season has started to get more known models like Kamila Filipcikova, Michaela Kocianova, Iris S., Ali Stephens and others, despite of the usual Spanish models...

how many models earn for exclusive show?
I suspect that a lot of the "exclusives" you hear about nowadays are staged - it happens if a newish model can get early confirmation for a high profile show -- her agency will then consider cancelling all her castings leading up to that show. This is done purely for the publicity it generates and there's no special fee that applies.

A true exclusive fee is a handsome fee paid (to her agency) so that she doesn't walk at other shows. When the industry is in recession (like the past 3 years) it's rare! There's an interesting article here about what Givenchy were paying last year.

and for the campaigns?
the 'newcomer' comes and makes his first campaign, how many earn?
sorry that I am so curious. ^ _ ^

Usually, a "newcomer" does not get a campaign. Because it's so very important to the brand and the model represents the entire brand for at least a full season, they only pick models who are fairly well established and have proven to be be worth all that money. They will select a model who has already proven her worth ... someone who can be the face of the brand and generate even more sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
jac jagaciak did calvin klein as an exclusive, lindsey did miu miu , daphne too.
zuzanna bijoch did prada.
so they do, i think...

and for the campaigns?
the 'newcomer' comes and makes his first campaign, how many earn?
sorry that I am so curious. ^ _ ^

Don't worry, i have the same curiosity too... just that sometimes people don't ask.

BTW i feel like there are a lot of brands that hire unknown models for their campaigns as an exclusive, the examples that come to my mind right now are Prada with Ondria, kelly and Antonia, 3 unknown girls...

Don't worry, i have the same curiosity too... just that sometimes people don't ask.

BTW i feel like there are a lot of brands that hire unknown models for their campaigns as an exclusive, the examples that come to my mind right now are Prada with Ondria, kelly and Antonia, 3 unknown girls...
and then they became known..
and that would've been their "payment".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->