how to care for your clothes - laundry, stains, dry cleaning, storage, etc

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by chocsta, Jun 25, 2004.

1. chocsta

chocsta New Member

For clothes to stay in their top shape, caring for them in the right way is very important. I learned my first lesson when I moved away from home into residence for my first year, and the industrial washing machines with water set on hot and dryers set on high just ruined my clothes... they became rough to the touch and some of them even had lots of tiny lint balls coming off :cry:

So, how do you care for your clothes?

Also, a more specific question.. I have a pink angora sweater from DKNY, and when I first got it it was oh-so-soft and fuzzy. But after wearing it a few times lots of hair started to come off and now it's kind of dull and "flat". How is one supposed to care for angora sweaters??

:flower:

2. tangerine

tangerine Soviet Camaro

Heh, I love this topic: laundry.

I try to follow label instructions, but I always have a hard time with the idea of jeans and tees that can't go in a dryer. Sometimes I disobey. :ninja:

3. chanel_girl

chanel_girl Melody Nelson

I usualy just send everything to the dry cleaners...

4. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

One good tip, that I always follow... I hate having jeans that loose their washes, I hate jeans that turn very blue cause they lookse their first shade...Ok, always,wash your darks with cold water, this prevents the colours from fading...Jeans, black pants, dark pants, tees, shirts, u know, wash them inside out, cause they will not have direct contact with soap, so they will last longer... the same with the dryer, with dark colored shirts, close their buttons, turn them inside out, and put them in the dryer, avoid using a lot of those dryer sheets, cause they coat your clothing with a whitish film... the same with jeans, dry them inside out... everything dark, wash and dry inside out...

For light or white colours, wash with hot water, if they're stained, that will loose the stain faster... Oxy Clean is awesome for whites and darks, is not as harsh as soap, but it makes a lot of foam, and it gets rid of most stains... and it's so cheap ;) ..again, inside out, will keep your colours in place...

And jeans, they don't get that dirty that often, so I avoid washing them that much.. Febreeze and throw them in the dryer inside out, if they smell like cigarettes or something that is not body odour... :lol:

5. orlem

orlem New Member

Dry cleaners for most of my things. I can't trust water.

6. Spidergirl

Spidergirl New Member

I just pack them in a nice way so they won't look scruffy the next time I decide to wear them.

7. banana

banana New Member

I'm terrible at this. A lot of my t-shits and pants shrink in the wash. I try to follow instructions but sometimes I get t-shirts that are dry flat only and I forget and put them in the dryer. :ninja:

8. SophieKawaii

SophieKawaii New Member

Hope you trust water if it's about your skin and body. :lol: Evil me! :evil:

9. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

I wash everything in cold water. It's my obsession.

10. titania

titania Active Member

I think this is the right thread to post in... Big thread bump :p!

I just noticed that one of my good cotton shorts have a bit of a stain on the back... It looks like gum... :doh: Anybody have any tips on how I could go about removing it or, at least, minimising the appearance of the stain? :flower:

Also, here are some of my laundry tips:

- I rarely wash my jeans unless they're very dirty. I read somewhere that you don't need to wash 'em that often anyway. Come to think of it, I haven't worn them in a while :lol:.
    - I hand-wash my delicate garments. In fact, some of them I've never even washed 'cos I don't wear it that often anyways and they smell just fine :p.
    - Some times all a garment needs is some fresh air so, some times I'll just hang my clothes (on their hanger) on the line to give 'em a breather. I've never dry-cleaned anything. I honestly think dry-cleaning should be the last resort :ninja:.
    - If it's going into the machine, it's always a cold water wash.
    - Some items are soaked (in luke warm water with an enzyme soaker) and simply rinsed and spin dried.
    - I hang all items inside out (that way the colour doesn't fade as quickly) or I dry 'em flat in the shade.

:)

11. Whitelinen

Whitelinen New Member

^ I've heard gum stains are easier to remove if you stick the garment to your freezer for some time. Then you will be able to take it off easily as it is frozen and not sticky.

12. Priestess

Priestess New Member

Get yourself some good hangers. Those cheap wire or plastic ones that often come with clothes when you buy them or from the dry cleaner are terrible. If you get yourself some good quality wooden hangers your clothes will hold their shape a lot better. For bulky items like coats and suit jackets, get some hangers that are made for coats and they will keep their shape over the years.

One thing to check when buying wooden hangers - make sure they're nice and smooth. Any rough bits or splinters will catch on clothes and ruin them.

#12 Priestess, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 24, 2007
  13. GroovyDolce

GroovyDolce New Member

I'm currently experiencing some problems with my clothes due to lint related problems. I've noticed that some cotton polos, a cotton hoodie and most recently a new cotton/wool sweater have gotten some lint/cloth balls on the side where I carry my backpack.

I'd like to really get rid of this lint (I've heard of lint rollers and such) but I'm afraid they'd damage my clothes, does anyone know of a good/safe method?

BTW I always wash and dry under the sun my clothes inside out, it's better so the colors last longer. Also I try to use plastic/wooden hangers that really fit the clothes and give it a good shape and hang my clothes inside out to avoid the hanger mark.

14. titania

titania Active Member

Thanks for the tip, WhiteLinen :flower:. I've heard of that trick... I've even seen gum removing spray! But this stain seems really stuck on :doh:! I just tried soaking it a coupla days ago and not ironing over the stained part; it's small and fairly unnoticeable, I can live with that. But, none the less, thank you :flower:!

GroovyDolce, I have this lint shaver that I bought from the supermarket for $6.00 that works wonders. It shaves off the lint and smooths out the clothing nicely; much better than those rollers... I've used it on everything from cotton shorts to woolen cardigans and sweaters; I shave it all :lol:! It works a treat and does no damage at all; you may become addicted :p ^_^.

[​IMG]
    evercare.com

15. GroovyDolce

GroovyDolce New Member

Thanks titania :) I have one of those back home but was afraid of using it cos of the damage, now that I know it doesn't cause any I think I'll use it and give my clothes a new look ;)

16. Beautiful Stranger

Beautiful Stranger New Member

I wash all my clothes, inside out for hand as i don't trust a machine. Expensive items, jackets, shoes and some tops, and cashmere, i dryclean. Try to avoid washing jeans, unless they get dirty.

17. FashionGrrrrl

FashionGrrrrl New Member

I wash everything in cold water on delicate cycle and also hand wash a lot of stuff and then put it in the spin cycle. Anything that can be tumble dried goes in on delicate and the rest gets hung up on a drying rack inside. I've had too many clothes faded by the sun in the past when my mom did my laundry, and usually only half the item would be faded because it was folded over the line. :doh:

I'm worried about a rayon dress I just got for spring that says dry clean only...does anyone know if I can hand wash rayon? I can't really be bothered to spend the time or the money going to the dry cleaners unless it's an item that gets cleaned infrequently like a wool coat or if most of my wardrobe were dry clean only. I think these days in a lot of cases clothing labels say dry clean only so that people won't ruin their clothes by throwing them in the washer with hot water and then take them back to the store and demand their money back...

18. Priestess

Priestess New Member

Get yourself a couple of lingerie bags. The kind they say you should wash your bras in. If you wash your clothes in these bags, they will last longer and I find that it takes a lot longer for them to pill. Plus it stops buttons, zippers and hooks from catching on other clothes and damaging them.

19. loves

loves New Member

i have a dress with no laundry tags.

does anyone know if i should handwash or dry-clean?

60% wool, 37polyester, 3%others, 100% rayon (for the interior lining i suppose)

thanks!

20. Bel

Bel New Member

When in doubt hand-washing is probably safest. Dry cleaning isn't as good as some people think.