How to Design A Cohesive Collection / Creativity

Edwards4Gucci

Reaction score
Im thinking vibrancy for S/S 06. Boldness..really vivid..almost dreamlike yet still realistic and wearable. Lots of stand out colour..particularly soft shades of purple. Im thinking retain the ethnic jewellery... chunky necklaces and wristbands to correspond with outfits. What do you guys think? rubbish concept? worn out?

it depends on how you do it and who sees and promotes it old ideas can always be made new and fresh if they are presented in an interesting and original way.

never show(or talk about) a work in progress:ninja: ..my opinion

Creating your collection

For those who have their own companies, how far in advance do you start working on your collection and what is the order that you generally do things on (right from starting to getting it to the store)? Do you usually show 6 months or a year before the collection will be in stores? And if you are not showing your collection but rather going directly to store owners or sending out catalogues how far in advance do you do this? I am trying to work on doing a collection and following timelines but I'm really not sure what timelines to follow.

Also, on the creative side of things, how much of your collection is just you doing what YOU want and how much is you doing things that you think your market wants or that you have seen other designers do? For example if you're not really feeling capris but you've noticed that capris are really in with all the other designers, will you do them? Or if you are looking at Sean Paul suits and seeing how unique the lapels are (I saw one that was not a normal triangular lapel, it was round) and you cater sort of to the same market will you go for a unique style because of perceived competition or will you do just whatever you want? Those are just 2 examples but I hope that illustrates my question.

I think a true designer isnt afraid to break rules or make a statement... sometimes its better not to base a collection on trends :flower:

need a bit of creative focus

I've reached a point in my business goals that I am stuck at. I am ready to start designing my line but I really don't know where to start as I have just so many ideas and need some kind of direction. I don't know how many pieces to try to design or if there is a good way to create a good flow/connection for the pieces. I was wondering if anyone had discussed this in their classes and what you had been told or if there were any books/websites that you had used for reference.

When you design a line do you have any methods you do to focus the line and your creativity?

it depends on the designer and the approach he/she wants to exercise with a given collection.
usually one works with theme(s) and then styles them in a creative way, your fabrics will lead you no? its always better to start with the fabric in mind and built on a design idea based on the abilities/effects of your materials.

lena always has an answer :buzz: and its always good advice, so i would listen to her ^_^

designing sportswear?

Hello! I'm posting under the career&education section again because I've gotten a lot of help in the past. I am in the middle of applying to FIDM (I know how everyone feels about this school so please don't trash it again) and I have my fashion design project. My problem is sportswear, I know sportswear is just clothes you can move around in not necessarly jogging pants but I'm still having a problem since my passion is evening wear or more dressy clothes. So I guess my main question is how dressy can sportswear be? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

How to Design A Cohesive Collection

just read this very interesting article on being a designer today and the real work that goes hand to hand with the romantic idea of ... 'creativity'

credited to wwd, written by Marc Karimzadeh (www.wwd.com)

Those who believe that designers spend all day sketching in their ateliers should reconsider. It takes a mountain and then some for designers to convey their message.

Be good-looking, media-savvy, aware of global issues and clever enough to bottle all this into a brand identity that speaks to the consumer. Oh, and don't forget to bring along design talent.

That's the advice those in the know offer to anyone who aspires to the vaunted title of fashion designer. Whereas designers once spent their days - and often nights - sketching, sewing and draping, the role has shifted as fashion has evolved into a billion-dollar global business over the past two decades.

As a result, designers have to represent their labels 24/7. Ideally, they should become their brand. And, while they're at it, they shouldn't neglect world events, a point that some of the most lauded fall shows drove home. Marc Jacobs and Miuccia Prada both presented a darker, more sober view of fashion. Both led a pack of designers who offered a more covered, layered look with little color or embellishment and hardly any skin in sight. "It's time to go back to the streets of the world, showing anger and being a little bit savage, to be ready for life," says Miuccia Prada, whose membership in the Communist party in her student days is frequently cited as an explanation, justifiably or not, for heady fashion moves that often seem to transcend the blouse on her customer's back.

The sober season made fashion people discuss at length whether their métier needs to reflect the times we live in or should offer an escape from all the tragic events in the news.

Donatella Versace, who embodies the glamour and dazzle of her collection with her jet-set lifestyle and circle of celebrity friends, says she doesn't like to intellectualize her work. "At the end of the day, I just want to put out some great, contemporary, elegant collections that work," she explains. But even she is not immune to the world at large. "Versace takes in all the shifts in today's culture," she continues. "Music, art, movies and travel are what influence my collections. Versace is a brand intended to make people look glamorous and sensual while having fun with fashion."

As for the renewed sobriety, Versace has one explanation: "I think that we have come through a period of flashy, ostentatious dressing, and designers are now reacting against that and rediscovering a sense of sophisticated restraint," she offers. "Fashion works like that - out with the old, in with the new."

Designers must also predict what their customer will want - months before she knows herself, essentially tapping into their customer's subconscious. "Fashion is meant to be escapist, fun and fantasy," says John Galliano. "A girl does not want to walk into a store and think what political statement she is wearing. She wants to think about what guy will catch her eye if she's looking foxy. Fashion is to show off your curves, to show off your personality; of course, it can reflect the mood and the attitude of the time. One of the things that influenced the couture in July was the unrest in Paris, but it was only one part, and it was more catching a mood that pervaded the studio as we were designing. Fashion conveys moods without words, a bit like a silent-movie star."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I'm posting under the career&education section again because I've gotten a lot of help in the past. I am in the middle of applying to FIDM (I know how everyone feels about this school so please don't trash it again) and I have my fashion design project. My problem is sportswear, I know sportswear is just clothes you can move around in not necessarly jogging pants but I'm still having a problem since my passion is evening wear or more dressy clothes. So I guess my main question is how dressy can sportswear be? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
me too! i'm sure you came up with something but i'm almost done with my portfolio to fidm. i got a lot out of coming up with career and eveningwear, but it's hard to find ideas for sportswear. i know what i like when i see it in magazines and at the store, but i don't want to copy it. i guess it just has to be whatever is casual or whatever you like, but just put your signature on it.

i know a lot of people just did bathing suits, but thats not my thing at all. i just went through my own closet and picked out what i thought was 'sportswear' and sketched it while tweaking it here and there but keeping the same basic silhouette. Good luck mcswirlgirl! let me know how it went.

Designing A Cohesive Collection

Almost every program has at least one class that teaches collection design. What I am wondering is if there are any textbooks that go along with this? I'm not looking for someone to describe what they do but rather would like to know what is TAUGHT.

And by the way I do not mean designer-patternmaker-samplemaker-factory, etc. I mean DESIGN only. Mood boards, drawings, etc etc I know I know. But is there a METHOD that is taught and is there a textbook that describes it?

The closest I've seen someone's process written down is The Fashion Designer's Directory of Shape and Style which has several pages that outline the process.

Is there anything that goes into more detail? Specifics such as how to co-ordinate colour and even how many colours a collection should have so that it does not feel disjointed. Or how many variations of the silohette?

If you look at student fashion shows there very rarely is a collection which you do not immediately say "this is a student collection." It is not that most students lack talent, nor is it that their sewing skills are poor, the difference is that their collections are not cohesive. This is a skill learned with experience obviously but the grad shows at some schools sport a higher number of cohesive collections than others...the students at such schools are being provided with much better direction on how to create a collection and I'd like to know if any of this information is written down anywhere.

Alternatively...if there is anyone here who has been to one of the schools who do a good job of teaching the theory behind collections, could you contact me privately? I am a couturier, not an RTW collection designer so I've never taken this, nor do I expect to ever need it, but it is information I would like to have anyway as I consider myself a lifelong student of design.

Thank you for this. I'm going to merge it with a few other posts to create a long needed thread about how to think ... when creating your own collection.

It gives a lot of insight as to the thought process of making a collection for the juniors market ... and how they like to mix things up ... high/low, masculine/feminine, soft/hard, etc.

So ... to beef this new thread up a bit here's some other related information:

From CSM's site ( course description) but I think it nails down the process:
Building A Fashion Collection

A collection can be any number of different garments, from a few exclusive pieces with different design elements to a large selection of varied styles. More important than the number of pieces is the point the collection is making - its fashion statement. In this course students will first establish the purpose of their collection and the market they are aiming at. The next step is to find a theme to stimulate a visual interpretation. An intense research process follows, where often quite vague ideas have to be pinned down and the direction of the collection established, resulting in the right choice of fabric, colour and silhouette. A storyboard is then put together to clarify your intentions and visually lay out the size and diversity of each story and of the entire range. Then the designing takes place. Designs are chosen, altered and redrawn; as they evolve a well-balanced collection is achieved.

And from mariapesin.com :
The first step in any new collection is analyzation of sales. Before you go forward you need to look back. Study your previous styles. Look at what you sold and how well it sold in the stores. Then look at what didn't sell both in the showroom and in your retail stores. Try to figure out what worked and why it did and what didn't work and why it didn't. Then look at what your competition did that worked and didn't work.

The next step is to analyze what is trending in the fashion world in your market. If fur trim is big than you should incorporate it into your line. Whatever is new should be added as an element.

The next step in creating a collection is to come up with a line plan. Different companies have different formats. I use a somewhat basic one since I make coats. This is a commodities business. I am working with one category. I look at fabrics lengths and types when I make my line plan. A shoe company or apparel company would work differently. Sportswear might break it down by tops, skirts, pants with a proportion of tops to bottoms. Shoes would probably work by boots, flats, pumps, sandals.

I work by fabric, lengths and categories. First I decide my categories. I plan do to wool , leather, rain, and down coats. Than I plan on lengths and how many by each length. I decide the price points I want to hit. I plan what I need based on the history of what I've done before.

Now comes the fun part. Shopping and reading and studying for the collection.

Shopping entails going to all the stores from New York to Europe (if Europe is in the budget) and even other cities if possible. Finding inspiration in the stores by seeing what the other fashion houses are doing. Buying the items that you think can be useful in adapting for your line.

You also have to read all the fashion magazines and tear out pictures that you want to consider. There are trend services you should subscribe to that will give you ideas on where to take your collection.

I love this part of the process. You take all your inspiration and start picking fabrics and colors. Then you sketch the styles you want to run in each group. You sketch more than you need and then make a style board that shows fabrics, colors, and styles. The style board shows the how the collection should look in its final form.

Once your boards are done you can then look and see what you may be missing from the line. Editing down will help you make a cohesive line. If you don't love what you are looking at this is the place to start fixing. Once you are done here than it is on to making samples.

Since this is about creativity and ispiration and how to turn that into a collection ... I did not post more information about the technical part ... samples, pruduction, sales .... there are other threads for that stuff.

Moving your post to the appropriate thread, because this thread is about creativity ... not numbers and starting your own line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirrormodel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->