How to look stylish on a bicycle?

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by emma peel, Apr 9, 2009.

1. emma peel

emma peel New Member

I live in NYC and use my bike to commute and get around. The problem is it's hard to look good; in particular the dreaded helmet problem. I found a few cool helmets, I bought the bern one below (approx $50 USD), but the yakkay ones are great though much more expensive. Any ideas on nice bike fashion from our super chic community?B)
    pics from yakkay.com, bernunlimited.com and http://londoncyclechic.blogspot.com/

Attached Files:

2. GasolineRainbow

GasolineRainbow New Member

Nevermind helmets. Nevermind kneepads. This is what will make or break your look.

[​IMG]
    jeanturmo.com B):p

Can you believe I've spotted bike helmets on Etsy? Not much of a selection, because it's probably not a hot-selling item, and their safety credentials might be dubious. But it's worth a look, right?

As for cute knee/elbow pads, and gloves, an unlikely but good source is stores that cater to dancers and gymnasts. For further safety, imo a brightly colored overcoat/windbreaker is a necessity if you ride when it's dark out; you can find those in regular clothing stores.

Gosh, I miss bike-riding as a means of transport. The city I live in is not bike-friendly at all, and while a select few brave it, I don't have a death wish.

#2 GasolineRainbow, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 9, 2009
  3. theprettycat

theprettycat New Member

4. anakaye

anakaye New Member

this is a topic that DESPERATELY needs more discussion! I blogged about it recently - I cycle every day and I hate how, in magazines and on places like the Sartorialist, you see so many stylish girls cycling around on beautiful bikes. It's a lot more difficult in theory I think, especially if the weather isn't on your side.

5. Hebden

Hebden I am half-sick of shadows

Helmet-wise I love my Faction from Bell...it comes in black and doesn't have any of the strange fins/visors that most helmets seem to have.

[​IMG]

Image from Bell Helmet's website

6. anakaye

anakaye New Member

that helmet looks brilliant. I hate those flashy, lumpy looking things that you see so much

7. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I believe tourist commutes to work on a bicycle ... maybe she'll drop by & comment ...

8. Jungla_Juana

Jungla_Juana technicolor tweed

yesss! I really needed this thread, lol... I live in Italy and go to uni every day on my bike. It's not as glamorous as people would think, because I don't live in the beautiful cobblestoned downtown area, but a more 'normal' part of the city. I find it really hard to look good in a nice outfit while riding a bike, somehow I feel ridiculous getting all glammed up in heels and everything and then walking toward the rusty pole where my bike is chained up... LOL.

9. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

^
    yeah, and I think that's the problem with the Sart pictures. I think a trench and jeans with cute flats/low heels would be fine. But my problem is the sweat factor. I wouldn't mind biking to uni but when you get off you're all hot and sticky and I don't always wants to have to find somewhere to sort myself out/shower.

10. Elise1986

Elise1986 New Member

i'm using my bike nearly every day. i never wear jeans/pants with a bright colour cause they'd get dirty immediately. you should also pay attention that the trouser legs aren't too wide ;)
    but in general you can wear almost everything

11. tourist10

tourist10 New Member

I no longer bike to work, but I definitely agree that it is hard to look good on a bike. I just really don't understand those Sartorialist pictures ... I think it's more important to be safe and comfortable than fashionable when it comes to biking. Maybe it's easier in NY, but where I was biking, cars aren't used to sharing the road, so you had to really be cautious to be highly visible! When I was biking, I usually wore my silly helmut and practical shoes and changed when I got to work. My husband wears full on bike gear (his commute is farther) and brings a change of clothes.

elise, so true about the wide trouser legs! Rolling up your pants or even a rubber band does the trick, if you don't mind too much to look silly (I certainly didn't)

12. Elise1986

Elise1986 New Member

no i don't mind looking silly on the bike :lol: better looking a little silly than ruining your clothes. however i don't have any pants with wide trouser legs at the moment ;)

13. Evy

Evy New Member

Well, I use my bike everyday, and I don't wear specific clothes...
    Kinda hard though to bike with a really short dress for obvious reasons...
    I don't mind cycling in 10cm heels, shorts, etc.
    I don't wear a helmet, bad I know but nobody really does it where I live...

14. gius

gius chat~

15. Elise1986

Elise1986 New Member

^^ looks more like a riding helmet to me :unsure:

16. gius

gius chat~

you mean horseback riding?
    can you use them the same way, i wonder :meow:

17. Elise1986

Elise1986 New Member

yep, horseback riding :) hmm, might be a helmet with a double function ^_^

18. fashionista-ta

thesartorialist

[​IMG]

19. fashionista-ta

20. allegra

allegra Member

Check out http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com.

I have what most people call a Dutch bike (upright with chain and skirt guards). I can, and do, wear almost anything when I ride - dresses, heels, etc. I do have to get rubber put onto my leather soles, or else the shoes can slip on the pedal.

As far as sweatiness goes, it really helps to take your time and not ride as fast as you can. And when it's cold, I wear things that are easy to open for ventilation.