How to wear the same dress/clothes differently??

Neeky

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a thread like this, but please merge if there is.
I find that I have many dresses in my closet that I have worn once, everytime a new event comes up I buy a new dress because I don't want to wear a dress I've previously worn. What do you guys do?
I've just hit rock bottom and can't afford to buy anymore dresses so now I'm trying to be economical and add belts to my dresses when I go out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You may find this sight inspiring and give you mind food for your own exploration and wardrobe explosion. Here you can see many ways to wear and combine one piece. It's endless. It's crazy fun.

http://www.polyvore.com/

Here's what I'm working with this weekend. I'm think of teaming it up with a leather hooded bomber jacket or a cocoon cardigan with suede ankle boots.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 0
^ nice dress! What I do is layer, use tights, change shoes, you know, the usual. If it's a simple dress it's easier to get more looks out of it than say, a loud/printed dress that's very recognizable. Putting a tee underneath or a button-down on top works sometimes, hehe, depending on the dress.

Hate to state the obvious, but accessorize differently?

I think that is the only way to make something look very different without changing teh pattern of a look, shirt, dress or pants.

yeah that's true, think I should re-phrase the question to: how would you wear/ accessorise this?

I like the thought of pairing that dress with a leather bomber and suede ankle boots.. I might add some sheer black tights as well.

I tend to purchase more basic, versatile clothing (especially if it's pricey) because I love to accessorize.

When I am at a loss for what to wear with a certain piece, here are a few things I do:
- Browse through pictures of people whose styles I admire and are similar to my own aesthetics. I am not looking to copy them, only to get some inspiration.
- Make sets on Polyvore, like stranquistdesign suggested. You can play around with one item for hours and miraculously come up with a new idea on how to style it.
- Flip through favorite back issues of magazines.
- Look for inspiration outside the world of fashion. Maybe it's listening to music, reading a book, drawing, etc. I find that if one form of creativity stimulates me it will influence another, such as how I dress.

Sorry I can't help you out with more specific ideas. I'm currently in a bit of a rut.

You could always wear a white vest top/t shirt underneath the dress? This is what I do, maybe too casual

DSC_0020 (2).JPG

You could try a cream lace alternative to a white t - then it would look part of the dress..

on accessories: ankle socks, thigh high sock, tights, leggings.

Or cover the top half of the dress completely with a contrasting jacket/cardigan, belt it and then it looks as if your wearing a skirt with top not a dress (until you decide to take it off and stuff the belt in your bag :wink:.

I love the idea of putting a lace top underneath! I'm just going to have difficulty trying to find the right one! and I'm loving the polyvore site!!

I usually find myself, if at the last alternative, going back and maybe reviewing some collections I liked in the past, or appreciating peoples styles themselves - how they coordinate once piece with another; color, texture, layering, material.

It's quite inspiring when you feel your closet has absolutely nothing to offer, or rotating the same items over and over. That or what classicalbang offered, just separating yourself from clothing and going to back to revise on what you really do have. Over thinking may just add more stress, and I never liked the feeling being pressured to shop for more clothing you don't necessarily need. Never fun, been their more than enough times :P

Thing with evening dresses, the dress its self is the main feature and only some many possibilities you can twist it in a different respective. Though I find changing hair/makeup can make a complete difference and attitude (sultry rep lips, nude makeup, hair up or down, etc) on what your wearing, tights I love since I find they give off more of an evening-vibe, bare legs, more casual. Flats, or heels, etc. And assessors, chandler or studs, necklaces, rings or whatever.

Not sure if there is a thread like this, but please merge if there is.
I find that I have many dresses in my closet that I have worn once, everytime a new event comes up I buy a new dress because I don't want to wear a dress I've previously worn. What do you guys do?
I've just hit rock bottom and can't afford to buy anymore dresses so now I'm trying to be economical and add belts to my dresses when I go out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

To me the key part of your post is the word dress. I like to buy separates for special occasions, and then change out the top or bottom of the outfit. That way I feel like I'm wearing something different, and it's not recognizable as, "Deja vu, that's what she wore last Christmas."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->