Hugh Jackman to host the Oscars

LolaSvelt

Reaction score
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences is no doubt hoping its surprise pick will help to turn around ratings for the star-studded broadcast, which last year plunged to a historic low. The 40-year-old star of films including X-Men, Baz Luhrmann’s romantic epic Australia and next year’s Wolverine has never been nominated for an Oscar. But he did win an Emmy for hosting theatre’s Tony Awards in 2004 and was also nominated as host of the 2005 Tony Awards ceremony.
Indications are this season’s Oscars will in some respects mark a break with the past. The Academy has installed new producers, a new set director and music director for the Feb 22 ceremony, the 81st Academy Awards ceremony.
According to reports, the host’s traditional opening joke-filled monologue, often considered too industry specific to be grasped by many viewers, will be scrapped
”He is an actor with big movies behind him and one coming this summer. He didn’t work the last 20 years to suddenly be a stand-up comedian,” a Jackman insider told influential Hollywood blogger Nikki Finke.
Finke described the choice of Jackman as “way outside the box” considering he is neither a “television personality or stand-up comedian”.
Last year’s ceremony was hosted by Jon Stewart of The Daily Show, who also hosted in 2006. The 2008 ceremony attracted the three-hour plus broadcast’s smallest audience on record, some 32 million, a far cry from the 55 million who tuned in to see the Billy Crystal-hosted 1998 ceremony when Titanic picked up 11 awards.
Ellen DeGeneres was the host in 2007 while comedians including Chris Rock, Steve Martin, David Letterman, Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg have hosted the show since 1990.
In the 1930s Will Rogers and George Jessel were among the hosts followed by Bob Hope, on and off, from the 1940s to 1960s, then Johnny Carson and Chevy Chase in the 1980s.
Jackman, who was born in Sydney to English parents and was nominated for a Golden Globe for his role in 2001’s romantic film Kate & Leopold, was selected “because we want the ceremony to be fun,” Laurence Mark, producer of the telecast, told People magazine.
”He can hold the screen and he can hold a stage. It doesn’t hurt that he looks amazing in a tuxedo.”
Last year’s low Oscar ratings were in part blamed on the lengthy writers strike which crippled Hollywood and cast doubt over the ceremony until the last minute, slashing production and preparation time.
February’s show could also be threatened, this time by a potential walkout by actors, who are to vote on strike action in January.
Source: The Telegraph

i wish they would have asked another comedian to do it. i thought jon did a great job last year in spite of everything going on. and the lacking audience was not because of he but the fact that the writers strike was on and most of the films and actors nominated,no one in the mainstream was even aware of. not to mention most of them were very,very dark.

i think comedians hosting is kind of a tradition and having a non-comedian,will make it seem more machine-like. very workman. not to say he isn't or won't be funny,just not the same for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yes, Jon was great both times.

i think comedians hosting is kind of a tradition and having a non-comedian,will make it seem more machine-like. very workman. not to say he isn't or won't be funny,just not the same for me.
I agree. It would be more planned out and comedians tend to improv throughout the show. It's such a random choice to host. But who knows Hugh could surprise us all.

He's already hosted the Tonys and he seems like a funny guy in interviews so you never know.

But what if he is nominated for Australia? Is this basically confirmation that the film isn't expected to be nominated :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->