i-D Pre-Fall 2009 : Arlenis, Chanel, Jourdan, Sessilee by Emma Summerton

I love the cover *I'm ignoring the pink thing bottom left*
I haven't bought i-D in ages, can't wait to see the editorials

It's a good cover, Jourdan, Sessilee & Arlenis look so stunning, but Chanel looks weird.

i guess i like the cover. but there's something about all four major black girls on one cover. i just have this nasty feeling that there's a hidden message. like they dumped all the girls on this one cover so they won't have to give them any others.

Though i-D have always been good with giving covers to black girls, even in the days when it wasn't "fashionable". From years ago, I can find not only Naomi covers but Lorraine Pascale, Kiara K, Veronica Webb, Alek Wek and many others in my old collection.

i'm just glad they got a cover. i'm sure this cover in 30 years will be a considered a classic along with the vogue italia black issue.

wow, black models on the cover. i like it. they all look great especially Jourdan and Chanel. :smile:

Probably included because they are profiling black models and she's probably the third hottest at the moment. She's also the latest black model to make a significant impact on the modeling world. Why wouldn't they include her?

I love that the cover doesn't feel special or monumental. It's high time that the apperance of black models on the cover of magazines becomes accepted as part of the norm and not some special treat.

You are really going in. :shock: I agree. Enough of these silly special editions. Black models aren't tokens or aliens. The girls are slaying in the name of strength and attitude. I love it.

Arlenis, Jourdan & Sessilee look great but 'pretty young things' font looks terrible

It's fun, and definitely eyecatching with all of the mega-watt color going on. I don't love it though. I'm picturing four different covers with a closeup shot of each girl's face exactly as it is now, and I'm liking that idea better than what I see. But it's not bad.

I'm looking forward to the eds.

Chanel and Jourdan both look gorgeous! WOW! I just hate how the text is written in pink

Can't say I like the cover. Arlenis is looking quite bad...maybe it's the angle. Chanel and Sessilee are giving us some serious winks...they both look fab! ^_^

Firstly (to start off nicely), I think that all the women look wonderful :blush: I'm not going to play the 'she looks better' game since it's completely subjective.

However, I do agree with Marcel's first post and other posters' sentiment like retailqueen's that the actual cover concept is completely unimaginative and as such, this annoys me.

Why do they have to photographed with a graffiti background? Why not something edgy like Jourdan's ed in Vogue Italia earlier this year? It really is cliche. Things like this make me wonder if the staff at these magazines truly listen to and RESPECT previous, valid criticisms of their work in the past. I'm sure they realized it might upset some people and they did it anyway. It's borderline distasteful, and that's all I'll say about it. The models' themselves really saves this for me...

Furthermore, I'm respectfully asking that the mods' forbid the use of term 'ghetto' in this thread from this point on; it's a loaded term with many different understandings. I can see the thread being derailed and furthermore, I'd like to continue to visit it without becoming pissed, lol :flower:

The issue is the "P.Y.T" issue, i.e Pretty, Young, Things. Which I'm guessing it's going to be maybe a youth issue or it could be a reference to Michael Jackson? Hmm

Anyway I like the cover, I think its very much in the spirit of Notting Hill Carnival

Things I like
- P.Y.T/Michael Jackson reference
- The visual references to SWV & En Vogue
- The kind of mid 90's color scheme
- The casting

Things I don't like about this cover
- The fact that it is not poster sized.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members