Iconique’s summer of 'Excess', at Boijmans Museum

Alura

Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Dutch Design:
Iconique’s summer of 'Excess', at Boijmans van Beuningen

ROTTERDAM, The Netherlands – June 15, 2005 – artist and designer Joost van Gorsel (1980) presents a summer of “Excess”, in which his designs with a fashion twist are brought to a higher level and shown at the upcoming exhibition of ‘Project Rotterdam’. The exhibition will be held from July 2 until September 18 at the Boijmans van Beuningen Museum in Rotterdam.

Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen has marked the summer of 2005 for a special exhibit featuring work of artists and designers who work in Rotterdam. ‘Project Rotterdam’, is an exhibition that has been designed by the artists and designers themselves. They take stock of the artistic state of affairs in the City of Rotterdam by means of this lively and innovative presentation. Project Rotterdam shows the visitor what today’s artists and designers in the city stand for.

Van Gorsel’s online international virtual magazine Iconique.com, premiered in the fall of 2000 and has become his ‘art-laboratory’. The designer experiments with new graphic dimensions and techniques. His online magazine will be appearing as a large digital projection. It can be experienced like never before... Visitors will be allowed to step into the glitzy fashion fanfare that Joost van Gorsel creates with Iconique.com.

Apart from the projection, Iconique’s part in the exhibit will also feature four large window displays of 2.5 by 2.5 meters each. Life in the City of Rotterdam has an image of being minimalist and bland, Van Gorsel tries to fight this by communicating a world of decadence, iconism and cheerfulness. The displays, colored in cyan, magenta, yellow and black -- the four printing colors and a reference to the ‘concept’ of a traditional magazine -- will feature international fashion designers and represents the theme ‘Excess: in here life is beautiful’... Van Gorsel wants to focus on the thin line between fashion as art and fashion as being an art of living: a representation of a personal image. One may discover traces of gold confetti, a small tribute to his favorite writer Brett Easton Ellis: “Confetti is a useless product, its only purpose is to create a moment of frivolity, a moment of excess.” Fashion and accessories will be shown by designers such as Rei Kawakubo for Comme des Garçons, Nicolas Ghesquière for Balenciaga, Christopher Bailey for Burberry Prorsum, Basso & Brooke, Coco de Mer and Cartier Jewelry, while hair stylist Pieter Roodhorst will provide the mannequins with glamorous , edgy looks.

iconique-excess.jpg

A dynamic and sexy soundtrack, created by the renowned New York based MrWilsonDJ, who produces catwalk tracks for designers such as Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Heatherette, Liz Collins and Peter Som, lures the visitor a step further into the sound of catwalk rhythm and dance. “All this can be seen as the physical representation of what Iconique.com stands for.”, says Joost van Gorsel, about the presentation.

The virtual magazine Iconique.com has asked Rotterdam based designer duo Corsage, Rabin Huissen and Robert Stroomberg, to collaborate on a special fashion presentation for the opening on July 2. The duo's main focus is on creating designs in fabrics, but also on devising very specific concepts and translating these through their unique clothing collections. In their work they very much explore the bounds of simplicity. Moreover, they are inspired by nature and architecture.

On June 19, Joost van Gorsel provides all the visuals for the prestigious Astra: Russian Style and Fashion Awards Ceremony in Moscow. The ceremony is a national event, which will be watched by the Russian fashion industry and an estimated 100 million Russian television viewers. The award show will be broadcast by Channel 1 at the end of July.

Iconique can be experienced 24 hours a day at www.iconique.com, but the designer has more plans: “I want to expand Iconique to a complete fashion, art and lifestyle platform, both online and off line. I also intend to offer more virtual and physical experiences. ”

Special party ‘Zonder Stijl Geen Toegang!’ (No Access Without Style!) by Ari Versluis, DJ Spacemaker and Iconique to be held on July 1 from 10:30 pm at Zaal De Unie, Mauritsweg 34, Rotterdam.

For more information

Press release by Museum Boijmans: click here
Iconique: www.iconique.com
Boijmans museum: www.boijmans.rotterdam.nl

i recieved this in an email......i didnt have time to read it all, but i will certainly find the time. iconique is a nice site :smile: do you have anything to do with the site? :flower:

Hi Lolita, I'm not working for Iconique or something like that. I'm a fan of the site and since I'm from the Netherlands I have met the main guy behind Iconique (Joost) on parties and such. I really like the energy they bring, things are very small for them at the moment (the site is made with a very small team) but I expect a big future! Besides: I need to support the Dutch :smile:!

Sounds wonderful! I was at Boijmans van Beuningen like a month a go, to visit the Dali exhibit. I should def go back again to check this out. Is iconique a Dutch site, since they visited the museum?

The site is made from the Netherlands, a well-kept secret until now I think... the exhibit is a group exhibit of more designers/artists from Rotterdam, among them Ari Versluis and Elly Uittenbroek (Exactitudes) and Joep van Lieshout.

Alura said:
Hi Lolita, I'm not working for Iconique or something like that. I'm a fan of the site and since I'm from the Netherlands I have met the main guy behind Iconique (Joost) on parties and such. I really like the energy they bring, things are very small for them at the moment (the site is made with a very small team) but I expect a big future! Besides: I need to support the Dutch :smile:!

if you go to this expo , report everything to us :smile: i would go if i was there :D

Aha! That is good to know, makes me even prouder to be a Dutchie :P
I don't know the names of those designers, but I'd sure love to visit it. But def not in the comming weeks ---> school school school :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->