Ideas for a wall mural in my apartment

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by candyperfumegirl, Sep 1, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. candyperfumegirl

candyperfumegirl New Member

So my roommates and I just moved into a huge loft and have a livin room with 20ft high ceilings. I'm looking around for some ideas as to what we can paint on our walls. It doesn't have to pertain to fashion and doesn't necessarily have to be a "mural". We are just kicking around ideas, so any input would be great.

Thanks!

2. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

You should totally do a trompe l'oeil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ruffinidecorazioni.com
    fauxforthesoul.com
    trompe-l-oeil-art.com

3. Geostud

Geostud New Member

I have to say that most murals are not my taste at all. You could try to fill wall space with a series of picture frames and mirrors.

[​IMG]
    My Interior Design

[​IMG]
    plasticbamboo.com

[​IMG]
    Smokeye.wordpress.com

One really cool product to consider is Ferm Living's Wall Stickers: http://www.fermlivingshop.us/stickers/

An example of their product:

[​IMG]
    2modern

4. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I would consider words or quotes ...

5. AnnaConstanze

AnnaConstanze New Member

I've always dreamt of having a big white empty room, where I can play around with paint (splahing, using bodyparts as stamps, etc.). So I think a "selfmade Jackson Pollock" would be very nice and something you would have a lot of fun with in the making. And IMO it's timeless and would suit nearly all styles of furniture and decoration.

[​IMG]
    kennethtangnes.files.wordpress.com

#5 AnnaConstanze, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Sep 7, 2009
  6. MUXU

MUXU New Member

i love the pollock idea

7. MimiV

MimiV New Member

Words and quotes are a really cool idea! But I prefer them on mirrors actually. A friend of mine had the definition of reality (exactly like it's written in the dictionary, phonetic details and everything) printed on a huge mirror and it looked amazing.

8. gius

gius chat~

wouldn't you like something you might not get tired of...

a bright colour, or vivid painting/picture.. you'll get sick of it after a while i think :ermm: better to go with something you love but that can blend in to background... something not so domineering that can complement your furniture and your selves while you are in the room... i find intense things give me a headache and aggravate my mood.

i misplaced the pictures but i think in one of the threads in A&D forum on interior decor there was a designer who used (office?) paper to texturize the walls.. it was really beautiful, it looked natural and unique
    and you can change the texture where you like.. so it doesn't have to be monotone

9. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

10. Katie123

Katie123 New Member

i like the idea of loooads of frames in all different sizes and colours as opposed to a mural!

11. gius

gius chat~

pollock is nice too :) all up to you which colours you like

there's also mark rothko, kandinsky, paul klee for ideas
    i guess they are called abstract expressionists

12. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Much as I love him, I don't think I could live with a Mark Rothko homage on my wall. The idea that colour can best express the horrors of the human condition because we've reached a point where figurative painting cannot perform the task is not something I'd want to contemplate every day when I'm having my tea, and I'd probably end up reaching the same conclusion about life that he did, in the end.

So it's another vote for the self-made Jackson Pollock.

13. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I like silhouettes on the wall ... not that I have any :lol: I love Georgia O'Keeffe and have several of her prints framed, including posters from shows of her work I've been to. Some of them are bright, but I don't get tired of them.

If you really got tired of it, though, you could redo it ;)

14. gius

gius chat~

that's true^ and i love o'keeffe too

it's just her wall is so huge lol
    to do it again would be :blink:

but then if you do it like an abstract painter it;s fast and it also gets rid of whatever you've been bottling up for months :D or at least it's an attempt/idea

15. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

And everyone can join in - it can be a work of art made by everyone who lives there, all adding their own colours. It doesn't matter if they can't draw, as long as they can artfully splatter some paint in the right direction!

16. candyperfumegirl

candyperfumegirl New Member

thanks for all the replies so far. it's kind of difficult getting everything moving because my two roommates aren't as motivated to decorate. the easiest idea for me to bring to life is definitely the "self-made jackson pollock." the semester is starting to pick up but as soon as i have some time to paint i'll be sure to post the results.

17. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

i really like the self made pollock idea too..:heart:

i collected quite a few images to inspire me with this sort of thing because we did a mural recently, but they're on another laptop unfortunately!. i'll try to find them again online and gradually post in this thread as i do..

here is what we ended up doing.. only now there is one addition.. a definition, which says.. LIMINALITY: a psychological, neurological, or metaphysical subjective, conscious state of being on the threshold of or between two different existential planes, where normal limits to thought, self-understanding, and behavior are relaxed - a situation which can lead to new perspectives.

Attached Files:

18. adorefaith

this was largely why i wanted to do a mural.. i love these so much. :heart: the rooms are designed by philippe starck, i don't know who did the drawings on the walls though, whether that's part of his work or not. it is a restaurant / bar etc in madrid.. :crush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    starck.com

19. adorefaith

i found the artist ! :woot: Luis Urculo is his name.. i love this work so much :heart:

two more examples..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    luis urculo

20. adorefaith

originally i wanted to create a base with chalkboard paint and do a chalk mural.. here are a few pics of murals done with chalk.. i think it's a cool idea because it's really easy to wipe off and start fresh.. :heart:

[​IMG]
    jeffho.com

[​IMG]
    dumpsterdive livejournal