'I'll Sue You!' - Lawsuits in the Fashion Industry

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by Benn98, May 10, 2019.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

BROOKE SHIELDS AND HER ICONIC EYEBROWS ARE SUING CHARLOTTE TILBURY

written by Aria Darcella May 9, 2019

Brooke Shields is known for her eyebrows, but that doesn’t mean she wants brands to name products in tribute to her facial features. At least not without her permission. According to The Fashion Law Shields is suing Charlotte Tilbury over an eyebrow pencil named the “Brooke S.” Additionally, the lawsuit, filed in California, names major retailers — including Nordstrom and Sephora — as defendants.

[​IMG]
    A screenshot from Charlotte Tilbury’s website

While the product doesn’t refer to Shields’ full name, her team believes her reputation is closely tied enough to eyebrows to create confusion. The lawsuit claims that her “bold eyebrows have been the trademark of her look and a target for endorsements and collaborations” since the beginning of her career. Shields says she has been “investigating and developing potential opportunities to create her own cosmetics line with an emphasis on eyebrow-enhancing products,” and that Tilbury’s product could “interfere” with her ability to market said products.

Shields is asking the court to “force the defendants to cease their use of her name,” and stop all sales of products named “Brooke S.” She is also asking for unspecified monetary damages. At time of writing the product is still available on the Charlotte Tilbury website. For what it’s worth, Tilbury has named numerous products after famous women.

Fashionweekdaily

2. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

I mean it sounds fair enough to me. We all know what Brooke S refers to.

bonnevie, Benn98, kenndale and 2 others like this.
  3. kenndale

kenndale Active Member

I’m sure if you asked Brooke nicely or even sent over a big PR package she probably would have been ok with it.

Give credit where it’s due, people.

magsaddict, dsamg and Benn98 like this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Culture is such nowadays that sympathy instantly goes to the person being sued. Elsewhere and on Twitter, people are saying Brooke is reaching and just looking to make a quick buck, but I'm glad she's finally putting a stop to Charlotte Tilbury, whom I find mildly annoying. But my personal bias aside, Brooke's got a strong case.

5. magsaddict

magsaddict Active Member

I think Brooke is absolutely within her right and valid to go after this. It's in poor taste for C. Tilbury to do so without any kind of permission, as kenndale points out, it's about giving credit. Brooke is by all accounts a perfectly reasonable and sensible person, so for Charlotte to come in and try and make a quick buck on her name is poor form. The fact it's a lawsuit means she's probably already sent Tilbury some kind of correspondence asking her to stop.

dsamg likes this.
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

EX-VOGUE STAFFER WHO STOLE FROM GRACE CODDINGTON HAS BEEN SENTENCED

written by Aria Darcella May 22, 2019

Remember Yvonne Bannigan? She is the former Vogue employee and assistant to Grace Coddington who was accused of stealing from the editor last summer. Well according to the New York Post, Bannigan was sentenced to three years probation earlier today.

One year ago, Bannigan was arrested and charged for allegedly racking up $53,564 in unauthorized purchases on Coddington’s credit card from February 2016 to when she was arrested. She was also accused of selling Coddington’s personal property on TheRealReal to the tune of $9,000. At the time, her attorney, Michael Cornacchia, insisted that she was innocent, saying there had been a misunderstanding. She even rejected a plea deal in July 2018.

The Post says Bannigan eventually plead guilty to fourth-degree grand larceny charges for $32,209 in unauthorized charges on Coddington’s credit card.

Fashionweekdaily/Daily Mail

dsamg likes this.