Indian Larry

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by softgrey, Sep 20, 2004.

1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

Indian Larry died recently...i attended his memorial yesterday...it was the experience of a lifetime... he was a great talent and and a sculptor of steel...the number of people who turned out to pay him tribute was awe-inpiring...this man was truly a legend in his own time...i wanted to share this beautiful day with all of you...and to tell you all about larry and his great spirit...

ride on larry...your spirit lives ...

Larry Desmedt built custom motorcycles

The New York Times
    September 2, 2004

Larry Desmedt, a New York-based custom motorcycle builder and biker better known nationally as "Indian Larry," died Monday in Charlotte, N.C., of injuries he suffered while doing a stunt at an appearance there Saturday. He was 55 and lived in New York City.
    His death was announced by Timothy White, a photographer and friend
    Desmedt, whose workshop was in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, was a legend among biking enthusiasts and other custom builders. He regarded his craft as a form of art and, White said, got his nickname from the classic brand of a motorcycle he rode years ago.
    He had gone to Charlotte for the shooting Saturday of an episode of the Discovery Channel series "The Great Biker Build-Off." The accident happened in a parking lot after filming was completed, with thousands watching.
    White said Desmedt, wearing a protective suit but not a helmet, was standing on his bike as he rode down the parking lot and may have been blinded by the sun; he fell and hit his head.
    Besides his wife, a performer billed as Bambi the Mermaid of Coney Island, Desmedt is survived by his mother and a sister.
    It was not a particularly dangerous maneuver he performed on Saturday, Bambi Desmedt said. "It was showing off, his way of blowing off steam after the bigger stunts."

larry's website...

http://www.indianlarry.com/

:flower: :heart:

2. softgrey

3. softgrey

larry had this tatooed on his neck... :P

In God We Trust
    enim si ecnaegnev
    drol eht theyas
    No Fear

the 2nd and 3rd line read-
    vengeance is mine
    sayeth the lord

it's written backwards... :wink:

4. softgrey

There is a book that he had been working on called 'grease monkey, the life and times of indian larry'...that is scheduled to be released and several episodes of 'the great biker build-off' that have yet to be aired...

larry's bio...

Indian Larry's inspiration was 50's - 60's motorcycle clubs, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and the legendary, Von Dutch. The skilled machinist, metal-sculptor and master motorcycle mechanic won countless custom shows, participated in motorcycle racing, and originated the hard-core motorcycle style - a blend between classic choppers and hotrod race bikes. Indian Larry's resume includes movie, video, television, and magazine spreads. His eccentric nature combined with a unique and colorful appeal has gathered great interest from media, producing a fanatic fan base. Larry can be found around beautiful women, tattoos, motorcycles, and the Coney Island Polar Bear Club.

5. softgrey

the real deal...

6. runner

runner .

thank you softgrey

my image of the ideal man

7. helena

helena Swim Upstream

He sounds like an interesting person. Thanks for posting.

8. softgrey

you're welcome runner... :flower: :heart:

it's a beautiful photograph isn't it?...

larry was truly one of a kind...a true individual...he never joined a bike club or gang, preferring to ride on his own terms... i can't help but respect and admire the man...for his passion and his integrity...

the bikes were lined up on either side of the street for blocks and blocks around his williamsburg shop. All you had to do was follow the sound of thunder...his friends and crew made an urn for his ashes out of a chrome engine that they engraved with his name and logo... it's a miniature work of art...so brilliant...

I have never been around so many hardcore bikers in my life...and probably never will again...they were incredible...i couldn't absorb it fast enough...all around me were these amazing people...and they were some of the nicest and kindest and gentlest people i've ever been around...i've rarely seen so many friendly faces...and they all had their own take on the biker thing...my friend took pictures...i will try to get some to post...

the biker style was in full force that day...from rockabilly biker to hell's angels to shiny leather men...there were older guys and younger guys and tough bike chicks and hot biker babes and some people even came with strollers...just a huge outpouring of LOVE...it gave me chills...it was so inspiring...and everyone was in the same gang for that beautiful day... -_- ^_^ :heart:

9. softgrey

just one more thing...the name of larry's shop is gasoline alley-from this old rod stewart song...and that's where the memorial was...

from the song...

" And if I'm called away and it's my turn to go,
    Should the blood run cold in my veins,
    Just one favor I'll be asking you,
    Don't bury me here it's too cold,
    Take me back,
    Carry me back,
    Down to Gasoline Alley where I started from"

10. model_mom

model_mom Active Member

Amazing people are around us everyday if you take the time to look. Thanks for sharing this story with us .

11. softgrey

my pleasure helena and model mom...i wish everyone i know could have been there to share it with me...i know i've been fortunate to have been there myself... :flower:

12. clay

clay New Member

Thanks Softgrey. Seems like we do not get see these real people anymore. People that love something and dedicate themselves to a life and a lifestyle on their own terms. Then before you know it they are gone, before their time. But I am sure it was a great time he had. Thanks for sharing!

13. clay

clay New Member

SG,

I just saw a show last night on one of the cable channels that have the motorcycle show with the father and sons that build custom bikes, It was the same channel.
    The project was for a bunch of these guys including Indian Larry to build these custom bikes and then take a road trip. I could not hear the volume, but at the end of the program it was dedicated to the memory of Larry. I thought of you at the time
    and was happy I knew a little about him from your post. Seemed like one cool guy!!! :flower:

14. softgrey

that's cool clay...glad you appreciated it... :flower: :heart:

15. pointup

pointup living in the sprawl

Indian Larry died? Wow I'm way behind... I have seen a lot of shows on him- he was an intriguing character!