info on dior homme suits

amblus

Reaction score
i was despairing of ever finding a suit that fit when i came across a black dior homme that i purchased on impulse (i couldn't get over the fact that the jacket was slim enough to fit me). now that i'm not wearing it, i'm deciding whether to keep it, and i have a couple of questions i hope people familiar with dior stuff can help answer:

1) i've never even seen a dior suit before, so i don't know what a reasonable price is. i paid $700 USD; is this a good deal, or close to retail?

2) who makes their suits? what are some comparable brands (in terms of price and quality)?

3) is there any way to tell what season the suit is from?

thanks,
-brian

Hey brian,

$700 is quite a cheap price for a Dior suit...from the stuff I've seen their suits usually cost around $1,900-2,200 for retail, around $1,300 for the sale/discount price at boutiques so i'd say you got a pretty good deal.

As for the season, checking the item no. is a good indication of what collection it was from.

I can't really think of any ready to wear suits from fashion houses that are comparable to Dior Homme...maybe I'm biased since it's my favorite brand but IMO the only thing better than that is bespoke. The cut of Dior's suits is impeccable, the only other suits I'd wear are Yohji Yamamoto but those are quite different as it's a more fluid look, not the same as Dior's razor-sharp tailoring. I too had the hardest time finding a suit that fit before I came across DH, and I definitely think for someone with a slim build they'd be hard pressed to find a better fitting off the rack suit than Dior.

Could we please establish whether we are talking about a ' DIOR HOMME ' suit , or a suit labelled ' CHRISTIAN DIOR MONSIEUR ' ?

BOTH exist , but there are VERY important differences , especially in price . :rolleyes:

$700 for a Dior suit (provided, as Kit said, it IS Dior Homme), is quite a wonderful deal.

I'm surprised that you are looking to sell it as they are gorgeous suits that are both great for going out as well as the workplace in my opinion. i've got two and they are lovely lovely.

Not sure who makes the suits for Dior Homme, but they really aren't like any other off the rack suit on the market.

Keep it!

-Albert
(currently reveling in his newly acquired Napoleon jacket from Luster hehehe)

Thanks for the info guys. i actually called the Dior boutique and asked the retail price for a black suit. they quoted $2200 USD! so i decided to keep it; dropped it off at the tailors this morning (the sleeves were ridiculously long).

FtB, the item number is 4EH1073020, and the model name is "Noir". it's a three button, center vent, affair. i was just curious about the season, but i imagine the classic black suit doesn't change much from season to season.

kit, i'm pretty sure it's a dior homme suit, the tag is a long gray thing with a rectangular slot cut out of it. there is a grey "Dior" tag sewn inside the jacket, but not many other tags (ie, nothing that says "Slimane" or "Dior Homme"). are there other telltale signs?

anyways, for you New Yorkers, i picked the suit up at the Loehmann's on 7th ave. it was buried amongst some calvin klein suits. i was too excited to check if there were more, but it may be worth checking out.

-brian

amblus said:
Thanks for the info guys. i actually called the Dior boutique and asked the retail price for a black suit. they quoted $2200 USD! so i decided to keep it; dropped it off at the tailors this morning (the sleeves were ridiculously long).

FtB, the item number is 4EH1073020, and the model name is "Noir". it's a three button, center vent, affair. i was just curious about the season, but i imagine the classic black suit doesn't change much from season to season.

kit, i'm pretty sure it's a dior homme suit, the tag is a long gray thing with a rectangular slot cut out of it. there is a grey "Dior" tag sewn inside the jacket, but not many other tags (ie, nothing that says "Slimane" or "Dior Homme"). are there other telltale signs?

anyways, for you New Yorkers, i picked the suit up at the Loehmann's on 7th ave. it was buried amongst some calvin klein suits. i was too excited to check if there were more, but it may be worth checking out.

-brian

You have been very lucky , treasure it . :o

BTW ,

If you ask your ' season ' question , here :-

http://groups.msn.com/DiorHomme/home.htm

Quoting the model number .
There is certain to be a member who will give you full info on the suit . B)

It's CERTAINLY worth a try .:flower:

DAMN!!!! You got a suit from the "Strip" collection (s/s 04) for $700?!?!?!? I'm jealous. BTW, the gray silk tag means it's Dior Homme.

amblus said:
what are some comparable brands (in terms of price and quality)?
In terms of price and quality? A fair number. Burberry, Dolce and Gabbana, YSL rive gauche, etc. In terms of price and quality and narrow elegant cut? Not so many. Ann Demeulemeester, Raf Simons, Carol Chrisitan Poell come to mind. Comparable quality I think, quite a bit less money (though not less than 700 bucks, man!).

^Are you sure Ann and CCP suits are less than DH? I'd be really surprised if CCP was cheaper.

sonno said:
In terms of price and quality? A fair number. Burberry, Dolce and Gabbana, YSL rive gauche, etc. In terms of price and quality and narrow elegant cut? Not so many. Ann Demeulemeester, Raf Simons, Carol Chrisitan Poell come to mind. Comparable quality I think, quite a bit less money (though not less than 700 bucks, man!).

If you make any more such purchases , amblus :flower: , please keep us all informed , though whether we could handle knowledge of such serendipatous luck is another matter entirely . :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ann D is cheaper than dior at retail, comparable to raf simons. You're right about CPP though. At retail maybe even more than dior. However, all three are seemingly priced a bit less at the online outlets, thinking of yoox in particular. And though Ann D and Poell don't show up that often on ebay, they seem to go for cheaper than dior there.
AlexN said:
^Are you sure Ann and CCP suits are less than DH? I'd be really surprised if CCP was cheaper.

^True, Dior is far more in demand than Ann Dem on eBay. At retail, I'm 99.9% positive Ann Dem is way more expensive than Raf Simons. :unsure:

YOOX stuff all comes in at least 30% off. Right now, they seem to be putting a lot of stuff at 50% off immediately. That's the reason for the huge price difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
kit said:
If you make any more such purchases , amblus :flower: , please keep us all informed , though whether we could handle knowledge of such serendipatous luck is another matter entirely . :rolleyes:

well, if anyone is in NYC (or can send some friends in lieu) and stops by loehmann's, you might as well swing by Filene's Basement on 5th Ave. i picked up a Cloak blazer for $80 last month. last i checked there were still a weird cloak tux-like shirt there as well as a bunch of other stuff (avon celli and marni sweaters, etc.) that all still have original Louis Boston tags on, and are on like the second or third round of 50% markdowns.

hope you handled that ok :D

-brian

AlexN said:
^True I'm 99.9% positive Ann Dem is way more expensive than Raf Simons. :unsure:QUOTE]
Given that I'm only about 50% sure, I'm happy to go with your 99% sure :woot:

amblus said:
well, if anyone is in NYC (or can send some friends in lieu) and stops by loehmann's, you might as well swing by Filene's Basement on 5th Ave. i picked up a Cloak blazer for $80 last month. last i checked there were still a weird cloak tux-like shirt there as well as a bunch of other stuff (avon celli and marni sweaters, etc.) that all still have original Louis Boston tags on, and are on like the second or third round of 50% markdowns.

-brian

Since I live far away , across the Atlantic , any visits to such goldmines of shops is not a possibility . :cry:

BTW , AlexN , :wink:

If it's a case of , " It's my party and I'll cry if I want to ......." :(
I will not intrude upon private grief . :blush:

kit ..........:innocent:

amblus said:

-brian

This is interesting news. I had assumed that Louis Boston only dumped off their merchandise to the 2 local Filene's Basements here in Boston. Sounds like they divvy up the merch to all their northeast branches!

Oh and your $700 Dior find has convinced me to stop by loehmann's. If I saw that there, i'd flip! I have been able to find ultra rare items like Dior sterling silver bracelets at these outlet stores, but never something like a full out suit!:shock:

Still looking for a Dior tux though... that would make me happy.

-A

Chinor1z said:
This is interesting news. I had assumed that Louis Boston only dumped off their merchandise to the 2 local Filene's Basements here in Boston. Sounds like they divvy up the merch to all their northeast branches!

Oh and your $700 Dior find has convinced me to stop by loehmann's. If I saw that there, i'd flip! I have been able to find ultra rare items like Dior sterling silver bracelets at these outlet stores, but never something like a full out suit!:shock:

Still looking for a Dior tux though... that would make me happy.
-A

wow, a Dior tux would be a nice, probably never be able to find one of those on sale. FYI, in case you are actively shopping for a tux, the helmut lang store has some really nice, slim, peak lapel tuxes on sale (sorry, didn't see the price). not quite as nice in construction as dior, but then again the price isn't as high.

amblus said:
wow, a Dior tux would be a nice, probably never be able to find one of those on sale. FYI, in case you are actively shopping for a tux, the helmut lang store has some really nice, slim, peak lapel tuxes on sale (sorry, didn't see the price). not quite as nice in construction as dior, but then again the price isn't as high.

True... too bad eh? I really don't want to spend over $1000 for it either. I don't think that helps:blush:

I was lucky enough to get my black 2 button ultraslim dior suit for 1k, and the charcoal 3 button from solitaire for about $600 (a lucky ebay score. Right time, right place sort of thing).

I'll have to check out the HL ones... wouldn't happen to be less than $1k though eh?:(

Chinor1z said:
I'll have to check out the HL ones... wouldn't happen to be less than $1k though eh?:(

sorry to tell you, but i stopped by HL today and they're all gone. too bad, they were 75% off of a retail of ~$1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->