Interview Magazine Shutting Down, Files Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by GivenchyHomme, May 21, 2018.

1. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

From WWD:

It's the end of an era. :cry:

2. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

It’s so sad. Someone should buy this magazine. It’s such a lost.

Karl Templer, Baron please buy this magazine!

3. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

What's sad about this is that they never really hit rock bottom, you see V, Love, A, and you kind of wish they would abruptly fold and save themselves further embarrassment. Interview wasn't anywhere near excellent but you could tell they revisited their codes constantly and tried to add some substance to the vain part of the society they catered to.

4. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Not.surprised.one.bit

Very sad nevertheless, however without the strong leadership of Baron and Templer, there's no way they could continue, particularly with the hole being burnt in the finances department over there. I don't think anyone would want to touch it with a ten foot pole, despite the fact that the content remained solid throughout.

Now though...perhaps, just maybe, the time for a new serious fashion magazine has arrived? Or am I too optimistic?

5. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

This is actually devastating. Interview was far past it's glory days, but for a long time it was the best arts and culture magazine out of New York. It was my bible in the 80's and 90's. It lost it's way when it became too focused on fashion and Hollywood. The decline has been long and slow, but this sudden end is still shocking and sad.

6. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

Sad. Perhaps Conde Nast or Hearst will buy it?

7. Marushenka

Marushenka New Member

How it will affect Interview Germany? They were still operating fine, while only US had issues with publishing. I think the German edition is operated under the license and has its own control?

8. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ Interview Germany is its own thing. Just like Interview Russia was.

First The Face, then L’uomo— and now Interview…

3 of the most influential dreammaking and high fashion worldbuilding publications that shaped my youth and continued to educate and inspire my high fashion outlook when they existed. Gone.

Without Fabien and Karl, Interview is nothing. Just let it die.

(Fabien and Karl not being paid by the billionaire owners… I guess it’s not something that only happens to just us lowly nobodies…)

9. versustito

versustito Well-Known Member

bye Interview Magazine :(

[​IMG]
    bellazon

10. TREVOFASHIONISTO

TREVOFASHIONISTO Well-Known Member

they owed so many people money, im not surprised.

11. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

I've subscribed continuously since February 2005, so this is a pretty big disappointment for me. It was nice to have at least one US mag with some edge, compared to the conservative mainstream American magazines.

With its Warhol history, the magazine would be a nice vanity play for someone.

Perickles likes this.
  12. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

It would be good if someone buys it and instead of making a monthly magazine, decide to turn it as something similar to CRFashion Book or Mastermind. A high-end exclusive publication almost like Visionnaire...
    But it needs someone who is totally independent and who can bring all of the creatives of the industry on board.

Maybe LVMH, Richemont, Kering or Chanel. With one of those on board, I guess exclusivity contracts for potential contributors is obsolete.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Sorry Lola, but what a terrible idea. The essence of this magazine goes against what you're suggesting. Isn't it bad enough that the indies which most on here consider to above the Vogues and whatnot already have these conglomerate names tattooed on their backside? Now you want to go one step further and actually let them own magazines?

Interview by LVMH or Kering will be like John Galliano by Gaytten!

#13 Benn98, May 22, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: May 22, 2018
  14. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    My though was more «*who can really put money for a magazine like that if a billionaire passionated by Andy failed*».
    Can the Andy Warhol foundation take the control back? Or at least people from the art world?

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I think a small collective could buy it like what happened with Holiday magazine. I'm scared to say a fashion stylist because they generally make such terrible EICs. Carine's the exception because she's got complete control over her magazine despite her small firm falling under the Hearst umbrella.

16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: WWD.com

17. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

This quick relaunch is either unadulterated, unbridled arrogance— because when you rip off even the biggest names in the industry and brush its all off so casually, or… undisclosed settlements are under way with the bigger names that were/are unpaid to mend past offences. I can’t imagine stiffing Fabien, Karl and Steven and relaunching so quickly without being blacklisted by the these and other bigger names. Andy may have said that "art is what you can get away with". But he also said "be nice to everyone, because you never know if that nobody is going to be the next famous somebody"...

They better relaunch with the aim to blow everyone away (pleas please please not Rihanna on the cover)… If they pull a US GLAMOUR or US VANITY FAIR brand of let’s-get-down-with-the-kid amateur hour nonsense, get ready to fold again LOOOL

18. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

Who's going to even want to work for them if that's how they operate?

19. t-rex

t-rex everything sucks!

Was that awful Lexus ed in the Dec/Jan issue related to their money problems? Because talk about product placement...

20. jeremydante

jeremydante Active Member

this was happening for years; i remember going to a dinner with the booking assistant from Interview, and he bragged that the magazine had no intention of paying models, bragging that the magazine pays "no one" -- which was an odd brag to make over cocktails with a creative agency head and myself, a then model agent. that was in 2016, so the closure all makes sense.

not revealing names, that booking assistant is at another magazine, meanwhile, when he said "no one" he really meant "no one" -- without fabien & karl this magazine was destined to plummet. a shame, they did really amazing creative things, fabien will be forever iconic for what he's done for this magazine, karl as well. terrible.