Is fashion discussion finite?

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
We have had 'Fashion and Politics', 'Fashion and Art', 'Fashion and culture', many fashion/gender debates and all sorts of other discussions about fashion, ideas and design in general. Do you think its possible to discuss all the things that fashion means...is there only so much celebral-ising one can do about fashion? Does it then just come back to whether something is a nice skirt or an attractive aesthetic? Have we covered all the depth there is?

what do you think? Interested in your views (for new members who haven't seen these threads - may be worth doing a search - some great discussions were had!!!!).:flower: :D

I think that esthetics are at the core of it all, yes.

We did have plenty of wonderful discussions, and they are all valid. There is a limit to it, sure, but I doubt we've reached it.. and that's the beauty of it.

The more I look at it though, the more I come back to the individualistic approach. There is one thing I've learned from reading, especially politics, an intelligent person can support the vilest point of view, and it's really up to you in the end to decide what is yours and what is not. It also saves you a lot of energy :wink:.

Now, I am not trying to close this topic by any means :lol:, so chime in everyone...

I don't think fashion discussions like we have had will ever be finished in the first place. Aesthatics (in fashion) change every so many years and fashion itself changes every six months. There will always be enough new stuff to talk about and discuss deeper.

In the end I think that fashion will always come back to how nice something looks. It is what fashion is about for the most of us: to look good. But the beauty is, before we can say that we think it is a pretty skirt, we can have all these kinds of discussions that will eventually lead to the pretty skirt. And we will keep on discussing it afterwards too. :flower:

Yes, but we are probably unlikely ever to reach the finite bounds :wink: Although when the fashion shows wrap I think we have for a bit ... such a let-down afterwards :flower: (and sometimes during :ninja:)

Fashion can be taken as many things. However, I can hardly think of an argument against the fact that modern fashion, and the fashion that we discuss here, is based on vanity, on aesthetics. But there is so much to aesthetics - beauty is something everyone from Paris Hilton to a leading psychologist or scienist studies.

It can be a nice skirt, and we can buy it to look good - but why do we want to look good? I think that's a basic in this subject. It's for the wearer to feel good, to look good, to express - here I go corny - himself/herself in a way.

We can't forget lifestyle either or reasons. Military uniforms have inspired many designers for different reasons - because they look good or because they are historical and the designer is interested in such or because the designs of a military outfit emit power. Many designs came about for a certain purpose, and function meets design.

There is not one thing about fashion that you can say, that's it...that's fashion, that's what it's all about, it's just that - it's too many things at once to be able to say that. I guess what I'm trying to say that there is a different purpose for everyone, it 'interacts' with the wearer.

Arturo21 said:
Fashion can be taken as many things. However, I can hardly think of an argument against the fact that modern fashion, and the fashion that we discuss here, is based on vanity, on aesthetics. But there is so much to aesthetics - beauty is something everyone from Paris Hilton to a leading psychologist or scienist studies.

It can be a nice skirt, and we can buy it to look good - but why do we want to look good? I think that's a basic in this subject. It's for the wearer to feel good, to look good, to express - here I go corny - himself/herself in a way.

We can't forget lifestyle either or reasons. Military uniforms have inspired many designers for different reasons - because they look good or because they are historical and the designer is interested in such or because the designs of a military outfit emit power. Many designs came about for a certain purpose, and function meets design.

There is not one thing about fashion that you can say, that's it...that's fashion, that's what it's all about, it's just that - it's too many things at once to be able to say that. I guess what I'm trying to say that there is a different purpose for everyone, it 'interacts' with the wearer.

That's a good statement, Arturo.

BTW, I was just reading Freud, and he devotes a special role for aesthetics in our civilization.

fashion discussion on chinese styles & the future of style in China is quite hot at the moment..

sad to admit but personally i got slightly bored of all our 'deep' fashion analysis discussions which usually lead to people going around in circles without too much 'exchange' going on..

I don't think fashion discussion is finite. It's the same with any type of thinking really, there is always a new opinion to be shared and that one opinion can lead to an entirely new way of looking at something.

faust said:
The more I look at it though, the more I come back to the individualistic approach. There is one thing I've learned from reading, especially politics, an intelligent person can support the vilest point of view, and it's really up to you in the end to decide what is yours and what is not.

I agree, individualism and knowing yourself is at the core. In reading the philosophy of aesthetics, I found there to be a preoccupation with attempting to define that "feeling" which something beautiful provokes. Like the feeling when you pick up the perfect sweater in a store, it's quite inexplicable. I think it was Nietzsche that called it the Spirit, the essence which runs through all aspects of life.

There are several more examples, but I'm far too lazy to find my courseware and look them up. :wink:

perpetuous said:
I agree, individualism and knowing yourself is at the core. In reading the philosophy of aesthetics, I found there to be a preoccupation with attempting to define that "feeling" which something beautiful provokes. Like the feeling when you pick up the perfect sweater in a store, it's quite inexplicable. I think it was Nietzsche that called it the Spirit, the essence which runs through all aspects of life.

There are several more examples, but I'm far too lazy to find my courseware and look them up. :wink:

You should read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

as fashion (along with design, architecture, literature) reflects society, growth, and culture, it is constantly evolving and changing with us...
it is an expression of the *now* and, when it is successful, it also anticipates what may come...

therefore i cannot imagine how it will ever end...

Last edited by a moderator:
faust said:
You should read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

I've heard of that actually, perhaps I'll pick it up for some Christmas break reading!

maverick said:
I would recommend it... :flower:

It's in the other room, but off the top of my head, David Hume's "Of the Standard of Taste". I'm sure a lot of people will have read it, but it's an interesting take on how we determine what can be called beautiful. He believes that the key to knowing this "standard" is intellect.

It sort of applies to fashion in the sense that a person who is aware of the history of fashion, and current designers &etc will better understand what is "fashionable". Just a thought!

^ It's been awhile since I've read any Hume, but I sure have known a lot of unfashionable intellectuals :lol:

The point you derive, though, is well taken.

you have all proven that it is not...:P

i definitely agree with what spike posted...
i am always interested to hear a different perspective...

i'm not naive enough to think i know it all...

perpetuous...

i just wanted to welcome you...
you're off to a flying start...
^_^...

:flower:

No,I don't think it is at all. I believe there are still things we can't even fathom just yet(nor the talents who often push the boundries for us to discuss about) just waiting for debate. As far as it merely being down to a skirt looking good-I have to agree with Faust....aesthetics will always have their place but in conjunction with that,craftsmanship will also live in infamy. So in that,people will be always have a thought provoking reaction yet still admire the beauty of the way clothes are made. Funny,too as I say that I am reminded of the battle between craftsmanship and mass production...that's a topic that still goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->