Is John Galliano Wrong for Dior?

Bidwell said:
I think John Galliano should do Westwood. He'd be perfect there and give the ole' girl a break...

word he's so Westwood influenced.. :wink:

mdankwah said:
Exactly, we've associated Galliano with Dior so much so that, it's hard to picture anyone else at that position.

for sure all this talk is just gonna fuel interest in christian dior and john galliano.......so i shall be very terse and precise........ christian dior as we know it , has already died and is burning in hell.:sick:

There Are Some Things That You Cant Understand....

bearbrick said:
for sure all this talk is just gonna fuel interest in christian dior and john galliano.......so i shall be very terse and precise........ christian dior as we know it , has already died and is burning in hell.:sick:

THE WORK THAT GALLIANO
MAKES FOT DIOR IS VERY GOOD
MAYBE WE JUST CAN SEE
CRAZY CATWALK IMAGES
BUT THATS JUST A SHOW
YOU HAVE TO SEE CLOSER...
AND ALL THE MILLIONS THAT DIOR
SELLS IN BEAUTIFUL CLOTHES
THAT ARE NOT SHOWN ON CATWALK!!!!!!
I WONT EXPLAIN U!

^ Its hard to explain, but its still not Dior, and the runway pictures can be very important to how a show sells, I think?

Well... I think we all should realise that "Christian Dior" is not "Christian Dior" any more. He's dead, the company has moved on. Arguably to a worse or better place. It's a publicly traded company, and those like maximum profit.

Galliano creates buzz, so he's excellent for imagery and publicity. The couture is still painstaikingly handmade, it's still beautifully constructed, but is it wearable? It's very theatrical and only made for show, not to actually wear.

I totally agree that Galliano would be more suitable at Westwood, it's more his style...

I really do think Galliano is talented in a lot of ways, but him and Dior is such a mismatch!

Dior: Frankenstein would wear it. To be fair, there seems to be a major normative judgement here: Hedi is completely wrong for Dior in some kind of purist sense, but nobody complains, because he makes nice clothes.

do not compare galliano with the great vivienne westwood

tott said:
Well... I think we all should realise that "Christian Dior" is not "Christian Dior" any more. He's dead, the company has moved on. Arguably to a worse or better place. It's a publicly traded company, and those like maximum profit.

Galliano creates buzz, so he's excellent for imagery and publicity. The couture is still painstaikingly handmade, it's still beautifully constructed, but is it wearable? It's very theatrical and only made for show, not to actually wear.

I totally agree that Galliano would be more suitable at Westwood, it's more his style...

I really do think Galliano is talented in a lot of ways, but him and Dior is such a mismatch!

galliano is a zombie controlled by arnault who privately owns Dior and he has allowed the zombie to possess the House of Dior to recoup and get rreturns on the business....which is not to sell clothes but bags and perfumes and accessories.....please do not compare him to Vivienne westwood who is one of fashions most original creators and who can set trends and SELL clothes which can be worn !!!.......

John Galliano and Vivienne Westwood. Its beyond comparison! Vivienne is far superior.

artxstatic said:
John Galliano and Vivienne Westwood. Its beyond comparison! Vivienne is far superior.

really?, how come, what has she done?, i´m not really familiarised with her work.

Galliano is extremely talented, theres no doubt about that. I just feel like he over uses his talent for all the wrong reasons in Dior. Haute Couture is Haute Couture and I think there's no limit of what you can do. Ready to Wear though, I feel like there's a guideline.

That's just me though.

John galliano is the best.. No galliano No Dior

I don'tlike Hedi slimane his clothes are very bad just copies of YSL that is the reason I will be working for ysl with tom ford he is just that bad.. no style no ideas of fashion and style I saw some collections sorry but it's just terrible hard to buy something that fits me well....John I Love you ..Please stay at Dior 4 ever /.. I know there is no justice in this world .. but like Diorling says .. just marvelous you are the best man for Dior nobody will reached the level you made this labels so far you have all my respect ....and love

john is a very talented designer. his work is very wonderfull and his shows are very entertaining. But the salelable clothes at bergdorf goodman arent what he shows on his runways

^Would you care to elaborate?

I'm not the OP but I would take he's alluding to the fact that people now complain that Dior under Raf is not Dior anymore. Just like what people were saying when Galliano was in charge.

^If so, I wouldn't extrapolate based on two data points.

I think Galliano was great for Dior. I know a lot of people beg to differ because of the eccentricity he brought to Dior seeing that it was a classic french brand, but he always brought a sense of elegance to Dior's clothes and always did reference the classic silhouette Mr.Dior established.

When this thread rose from the dead after 7+ years, I thought maybe they'd hired him again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->