Is Style.com Facing Litigation By The French?

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Friday, March 12, 2004
A French Farce Finds Itself the Center of International Litigation:

Shortly after the Chanel show ended in March of 2003, three photographers busily scurrying to meet a deadline for their publisher were arrested outside an office located on Rue de Fauboug Saint Honoré in Paris. It turned out that Chanel, among others, had instigated their incarceration, having determined that the trio worked for an Internet website that illegally posted photos of each piece of a collection - in violation of French law.

That original suit was making its way through the Gallic judicial system, which at times resembles a very slow snail, when Vogue Homme's Editor-in-Chief, Richard Buckley, took the liberty of inserting a CD ROM in the September 2003 issue. That silvery disk was impregnated with photographs of every piece of the Spring / Summer 2004 men's collections shown the previous July in Paris. According to sources at Jean Paul Gaultier, a second lawsuit was filed against Vogue Hommes, which resulted in the recall of numerous copies of the magazine.

In France, life moves at a leisurely pace, and so it is not surprising that in March of 2004, style.com continues to publish, with impressive speed, a photo of each piece presented on the Paris Prêt-à-Porter runway.

But just behind the scenes, in the pit, a nervous air of anxiety has fallen over the ranks, that myriad of photographers who speak quietly in hushed tones. The word on the street - a class action lawsuit is imminent, launched by the respective legal departments of Chanel, Dior and Gaultier (among others) and citing this time, not only the person behind the camera, but the entity itself.

How can this be? Well, the answer is really such a farce that only the French could have the imagination to invent it.

Sources close to the investigation say, off the record, that French Houses are themselves to blame. The legal advisors of these Houses complain bitterly to the Fédération Française de la Couture, the governing board headed by a farcical character, Didier Grumbach, that they are victims of a scheme that launches their collections into cyberspace, only to be copied by unscrupulous agents. Mr. Grumbach responds in kind by issuing the most stringent guidelines: each Internet site accredited by the Fédération must have their photographer sign a pledge that he or she will abide by the rules set forth by the governing board, notably limiting 7 maximum shots per show. Furthermore, Mr. Grumbach continues to denounce the Internet as a source of evil that allows French fashion to be copied by Asian sweatshops.

The rub: the Fédération does not officially accredit Condé Nast, in all of its various entities, including American Vogue and style.com, and so is at a loss to crack down on the prime offender.

The legal departments of the same fashion houses which are set to launch litigation, do not speak directly with the press officers who routinely send invitations to the photographers in question, namely those that work obliquely for style.com

In a comedy of errors, the situation has continued unencumbered season after season. But if sources prove accurate, that is soon to change, as the long arm of justice is about to reach right across the Atlantic to 4 Times Square.

I am serious surprised by this. I wasn't surprised by the FirstView arrests and such, but I am in shock. :shock:

Originally posted by foxinthesnow@Mar 12th, 2004 - 2:50 pm
I am serious surprised by this. I wasn't surprised by the FirstView arrests and such, but I am in shock. :shock:
me too - it's just too weird :ninja:

copied by asian sweatshops?? :shock: I find that highly doubtful

:shock: why should they arrest the photographers? :blink:
if they dont want them there just dont let them in.. this is ridiculous.

i found it more shocking that style.com has been allowed to show collections so quickly...copies are much more of an issue since this has been going on...i don't blame the houses for trying to find a way to stop this...but as they say, they have no juridisction over conde nast or style.com...

anyway...right or wrong...i sincerely hope they do not stop showing the collections on the internet...it has seriously changed my life... :flower:

As I have posted in ' The Favourites ' the S/S 04 edition of Vogue Hommes is now out and the CD rom , which is made in conjunction with FIRSTVIEW.COM , does NOT contain any pics of Dior Homme , YSL Rive Gauche etc .

The plot thickens ............

KIT :innocent:

how can they be so naive, people cannot possibly copy from such small photos, one needs details and high resolution.. much better, one waits until the clothes are out in the shops and then produces the copies within a week -two weeks max..

some people pretend they dont know how copies are made.. i wonder why.

best attitude was by Bertelli (Prada) when asked about the Zara copies (those are exact Prada copies) he was almost 'charmed' by people copying him.. he said "better to be copied than being ignored" :lol:

i think he's too clever this guy..

and anyway, Italian houses are already deep into the new trend of showing just 'part' of their collections in the show, most 'important' ideas stay only for their showrooms and then enter the market 'on time' ...this policy helps them 'keep' some designs 'private' still as soon as those are out they can be bought and copied in no time.. huge mass production companies are too quick and there is nothing stopping them when they want to copy..

but then again, one should take being copied as a compliment, really.

*excuses for not being able to type properly ... :ninja:

OMG! That's rediculous! While I can respect The Federations' opinions, I have to ask, do they really think any of the designers of French Fashion would get any attention on a world wide scale if they prevented the designs from being seen on the net? I just don't get it, I mean, I know the Federation is an establishment at this point in fashion history and it does essentially have fashions' best interests in mind, in this day and age when fashion is not the uber-exclusive little "clique" that it was back in, say 1950, it comes off as a kind of superiority vibe. Who knows, the legalities of fashion just make my head hurt :wacko: . Too much beurocracy. When all is said and done, it is just clothing. (This last comment is in no way a devalidization of fashion as an art form :flower: ) Knock-offs are an inevitable thing. No, it's not fair to the designers who originate something, but preventing it entirely wouldn't be fair to all the fashion lovers out there, AKA anyone at this site!

Makes me wonder why Allen Schwartz (a designer who makes very close copies of popular Academy Awards dresses each year) has not yet been sued.

i think the big designers should accept that they will be copied if they want to influence the fashion trends.

vogue magazines are owned conde nast right? wouldn't that be a bit weird if an online counterpart of a big magazine company had a fallout with the french designers? because the designers need the magazines for campaign ads etc

Makes me wonder why Allen Schwartz (a designer who makes very close copies of popular Academy Awards dresses each year) has not yet been sued.

That is so true... :innocent:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 12th, 2004 - 2:30 pm
and anyway, Italian houses are already deep into the new trend of showing just 'part' of their collections in the show, most 'important' ideas stay only for their showrooms and then enter the market 'on time' ...this policy helps them 'keep' some designs 'private' still as soon as those are out they can be bought and copied in no time.. huge mass production companies are too quick and there is nothing stopping them when they want to copy..
This is completely ridiculous, all of it!!

Somewhat off topic, but- I think that's what Dior did... Probably. None of the Fall 04 collection was wearable; it was all just really ridiculous useless trash and I think Galliano did that purposely so that nothing could be "copied" ..... until the "real" stuff hits the stores I guess. :/

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 12th, 2004 - 3:30 pm
best attitude was by Bertelli (Prada) when asked about the Zara copies (those are exact Prada copies) he was almost 'charmed' by people copying him.. he said "better to be copied than being ignored" :lol:

i think he's too clever this guy..

but then again, one should take being copied as a compliment, really.
Exactly, Lena. :flower: Great input. :wink: I think what Italian houses are doing are genius. Plus high-end designers should strive to make their work extremely detailed and complicated, (I mean consumers deserve that after all with the $price$ tag) in order for the likes of Zara to have difficulty copying it and there will still be a difference. :flower:

Originally posted by HBoogie@Mar 12th, 2004 - 8:34 pm
plus--- he usually does an appearance on an amerrican talk show a day or two after the awards and already has the knock-offs made...just from the photos of the awards...so it does happen and it happens extaordinarily fast!.... :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->