It’s Official: Stefano Pilati Will Leave Yves St. Laurent

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by tarsha, Apr 14, 2010.

1. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

fashionologie

2. Chanelcouture09

Chanelcouture09 Some Like It Hot

i doubt he will be replaced, he works brilliantly at YSL, plus alot of brands make most of their profit from their accessories

3. ALAUU

ALAUU New Member

I think it would be a bad move to replace him when he does do so well with the accessories. Replacing him would just create a Valentino-like fiasco and destabilize a pretty strong brand.

4. LabelWhore4

LabelWhore4 New Member

^I totally agree!

5. Chanelcouture09

to be honest over his years at YSL he's built a strong brand and a hude band of followers, the likes of Kate Moss and Carine, i totally agree, it'd make another Valentino Fiasco

6. IAmLordZen

Here's another article

nymag

7. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

honestly,the love of celeb and fashion industry folk alone is not what makes a strong brand.....sales as a whole are. and it's understandable-the last year has been a huge economic barrier and really this entire industry has been affected. especially has been difficult for major luxury houses.

if indeed what they're alluding to is true,it probably is a result of the experiences of the last year or so.

8. Chanelcouture09

Yeah i agree, the economic situation hasn't helped anyone, but the accessories market is larger than RTW, in a general situation, brands like LV open stores dedicated to accessories and IMO one of the biggest luxury brands do it then its obvious that its worth it
    women also find it easier to buy a bag or a pair of shoes easier than a dress or jacket, and no matter how much we all know its down to the customer to decide what they buy
    i think in a whole it would be a shame to lose Stefano at YSL because he has such a great eye and works well with the aesthetic of YSL and i hope this is a false rumor to get tongues wagging

9. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

I really hope Stefano isn't replaced - his constant surprises are really what get me excited about Paris fashion week.

..Though whenever this sort of rumour goes around I always wonder what these houses would be like under someone different.

10. cesarcmma

cesarcmma New Member

To be honest I haven't loved or liked any collection from him since FW08, but his accesories seem to sell well.

That being said I would not like him to leave the house, he needs to focus more on RTW and bring back the spark from his early days.

11. madame_georgiana

I like some of his collections, especially the one with all the purple and houndstooth, and YSL accessories are huge sellers, but his clothes lack anything that makes me want to buy them. He works for Yves St.Laurent, and without clothes that women want and yearn for, then it really isn't anything like "Yves St.Laurent".

In other words I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

#11 madame_georgiana, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited by moderator Ava Madison: Apr 15, 2010
  12. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

This article has been confirmed as false. It was just a silly rumour.

13. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

It was just one of those silly conclusions people jump to. I was kinda hoping it would be true though. I've had enough of him.

dailyfrontrow.com

14. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

where there's smoke, there's fire. anyone who thinks pilati's work of late represents his best for the house of yves saint laurent not only insults pilati but openly overlooks the brilliance of his earlier work. further, i saw a video snippet somewhere -- i forget where -- that showed pierre berge extolling someone else as the best designer in paris.

15. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

^ Riccardo Tisci in the Style.com Givenchy video. At least I think that was it.

Honestly at this point I kind of hope the rumor has some truth to it.

16. taz

taz MUSE

well, I wish Pilati to stay at YSL more, at least for more 5 years & that rumor would be a shocking wake up & makes a big return to the pre-2008.

changing the creative direction on short basis will weaken the house, more than a couple of boring seasons .... & we have witnessed what happened at the other houses.

I mean the man was a trend sitter since his 1st debut & the followings seasons later, & I can forgive him for his latest fall dull presentation.

I was in Paris last week, & the clothes looks gorgeous & much better in real than on the pics, & the boutique was busy with shoppers for shoes & outfits too , i bought a dress with its accesories & shoes for my wife.

#16 taz, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited by moderator royals: Apr 20, 2010
  17. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Active Member

And I thought accessoires is more important than clothes, I mean for sales. Didn't they rely on the sales of accessoires and clothes are more for the show and attracting ppl ??!
    I'm curious when I saw becoz they think the accessoires sell well and the clothes aren't, so they want to replace him, It's wired....

18. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

[​IMG]

fashionista

19. before

before Active Member

Why would Kenzo report this? Isn't it a bit unprofessional?

20. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

The whole article sounds like a fashionista's dream.. like the Lagerfeld/Baptiste thread.
    Hedi Slimane is always the fashionista fav (next to Theyskens) for a fashion takeover.
    I very much doubt Raf Simons will take over at Yves Saint Laurent; I can't see him either leaving Jil Sander or designing for both houses, and I can't see his work translating into the Saint Laurent handwriting.
    If it is reported that Pilati has just signed a three year contract, then this is the weakest rumour yet and entirely founded on one person's tweet?