It's a Man Thing - Men Designing for Women

kit

Reaction score
Get a load of THIS . :P :P :P :P

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,...1235651,00.html

What's a 30 something Guardian journalist doing , dressed in a Juicy ' trackie ' and Fred Perry/Comme des Garcons polo shirt , frequenting a club catering for working -class council estate ' ladz ' ? :unsure:

I may be adopting a somewhat ironic stance here , but it brings to mind the famous joke :-

Question - ' What do you call a scally ( pikey ) dressed in a suit ?
Answer - ' The accused ' !!!

Question - ' What do you call a scally dressed in a white shell-suit ?
Answer - ' The bride ' !!!

If only Charlie would grow up !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KIT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Never heard that one before actually...

I read the article this morning and I couldn't really make much sense of it. Never trust a man who only owns one suit is what I say...however, this little 'council boy' joint sounds like a regular 'wannabe' hang-out from the sound of it...

I've never known why but journos often seem to think themselves a bit 'street' - the Guardian has had more than on article slating the evil 'middle-classes' these days which often makes me wonder which class your average £100,000 a year Guardian journo belongs to...

Did you see the shopping spread next to the Inside Leg? Who's the journo writing that? Is he new...I really wasn't so keen on the Bottega Vs he picked considering all the lovely shoes from BV he could've picked...

Kit, you sure pick em :lol:
yeah, this is a wannabe hangout, the only thing that seems attractive is the price of the drinks, the rest sounds so fake. Wearing a CDG Fred perry polo is hardly council boy is it?
Speaking of the accused, you want a real lads night out, club mayfair, brixton, scallies in suits :ninja:

The club location says it all really,, post code W1...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats+Jun 12th, 2004 - 2:28 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PrinceOfCats @ Jun 12th, 2004 - 2:28 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I've never known why but journos often seem to think themselves a bit 'street' - the Guardian has had more than on article slating the evil 'middle-classes' these days which often makes me wonder which class your average £100,000 a year Guardian journo belongs to... [/b]

I'm thinkin Guy Richie :ninja:

<!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats
@Jun 12th, 2004 - 2:28 pm
Did you see the shopping spread next to the Inside Leg? Who's the journo writing that? Is he new...I really wasn't so keen on the Bottega Vs he picked considering all the lovely shoes from BV he could've picked...[/quote]
care to share?

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 12th, 2004 - 8:28 am
:lol: Never heard that one before actually...

I read the article this morning and I couldn't really make much sense of it. Never trust a man who only owns one suit is what I say...however, this little 'council boy' joint sounds like a regular 'wannabe' hang-out from the sound of it...

I've never known why but journos often seem to think themselves a bit 'street' - the Guardian has had more than on article slating the evil 'middle-classes' these days which often makes me wonder which class your average £100,000 a year Guardian journo belongs to...

Did you see the shopping spread next to the Inside Leg? Who's the journo writing that? Is he new...I really wasn't so keen on the Bottega Vs he picked considering all the lovely shoes from BV he could've picked...
I think Gareth Mclean , along with Simon Chilvers are the replacements for Charlie , as the ' token ' men about the style section .

Cannot say that I find much in the ' Shopping Life ' sections , when they deign to do them for men . :yuk:

I myself am not into the BOTTEGA VENETA plaited shoe look preferring the jodphur boot style , although I did invest quite a sum in a pair of brown TODS for the summer . NOT the carshoe style , but the penny loafer style . with the studs of rubber on the sole ! VERY PORTOFINO , I MUST say !!! :blush:

I seem to remember Charlie's drooling over the Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche asymmetrical watch , some time ago when he was fully with the paper , and wishing someone would buy him one as a present . :rolleyes:

Remember my recent comment about gay stereotypes ? :lol:

Nuff said . B)

KIT :innocent:

Oh dear...maybe we should make this a permanent Guardian thread for ranting about CP! I saw the pink airtex cardigan on the first of the fashion pages and thought 'Kit would love that.. :lol: '

I know I would strut around my ruined rococo mansion in Sicily in a pair of these Bottega Venetas (perhaps Charlie could borrow them for when he's dressing up like a 'lad' :innocent: ) if I owned them (and a ruined rococo mansion in Sicily:(

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 12th, 2004 - 9:11 am
Oh dear...maybe we should make this a permanent Guardian thread for ranting about CP! I saw the pink airtex cardigan on the first of the fashion pages and thought 'Kit would love that.. :lol: '

I know I would strut around my ruined rococo mansion in Sicily in a pair of these Bottega Venetas (perhaps Charlie could borrow them for when he's dressing up like a 'lad' :innocent: ) if I owned them (and a ruined rococo mansion in Sicily:(
VERY NICE SHOES , but not exactly me , although I can see where you are coming from , ( Visconti's palace in ' The Leopard ' !!!!! ) . :innocent:

The thing that gets me is that when the Guardian/Observer does fashion that really gets me , it's ALWAYS the DIOR HOMME leather jacket at £4000 or the YSL RIVE GAUCHE one at practically the same price . :blush:

STILL , my occasional trps to ' BOUTIQUE OH! ' and the MARITHE ET FRANCOIS GIRBAUD shop in Perpignan , have yielded some fave buys at REASONABLE prices , like a pair of THIERRY MUGLER flannel trousers - 180FF - about £140 , £100 less than the price in the UK , and that's NOT in the sale !!! :o

I'll be back on RYANAIR ( the bastards ) before TOO long !!! :angry:

KIT :wink:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 12th, 2004 - 3:11 pm
Oh dear...maybe we should make this a permanent Guardian thread for ranting about CP!
Don't have too much fun you two

Ranting is a long celebrated English pastime...

I know what you mean, kit...whenever the Guardian actually something nice for men it's the £4000 Dior Homme jacket (which they paired with a paisley shirt and white satin tie :huh: )...

An interesting article HERE :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1239578,00.html

which has ' interesting ' things to say about GQ UK's ' agony uncle ' , aka Charlie Porter !!!
Does the paper not name him as it employ him for a weekly ' blog ' on Saturdays in the colour sup ?
How hypocritical can you get ?

VERY apt comments on the recent ARENA HOMME + , couldn't have said better myself !!!

KIT

it's funny to me how you guys are so focused on the jounalists...

over here...no one even looks at the byline...and the individual writers are barely noticed...
curious... :unsure: :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 16th, 2004 - 10:04 am

over here...no one even looks at the byline...and the individual writers are barely noticed...
I guess it's a male UK thing , as we are SO class bound that to read a columnist with ALL the advantages , Oxbridge education etc , spouting such ineffable tosh , albeit with SOME occasional ' bon mots ' , makes one aggrieved , or is that ' jealous ' for such wasted opportunity to make incisive comments on male attire .

It's like Carrie Donovan WAS accorded immense respect for what she wrote , and Suzy Menkes IS accorded equal respct , as is someone you have mentioned , but I have only read snippets of , here on TFS : Kathy Horyn .

STILL , someday somebody young will assume the mantle of Colin McDowell !!!

KIT B)

just as an fyi...this may make you feel better...but having worked in publishing for a little while...i can honestly say that the writers and editors rarely make mega bucks...not to say that they don't make a fair wage...but nothing along the lines of what one might imagine...and often FAR
less...there are...of course...exceptions...anna wintour for example...

the really good thing about being an editor/writer...is the perks...they make up for the low pay...the 'gifts' that one will receive from someone hoping to get a mention in the mag/paper or the public relations events one might attend...but, more often that not...the gift is something useless and the events become exceeding tedious as one has to go after a full day of work and then see all the same people from all the other publications at every turn...

the best thing is a discount...then you can just get what you want at a reasonable price...

:flower: :woot:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 17th, 2004 - 9:25 am
just as an fyi...this may make you feel better...but having worked in publishing for a little while...i can honestly say that the writers and editors rarely make mega bucks...not to say that they don't make a fair wage...but nothing along the lines of what one might imagine...and often FAR
less...there are...of course...exceptions...anna wintour for example...

the really good thing about being an editor/writer...is the perks...they make up for the low pay...the 'gifts' that one will receive from someone hoping to get a mention in the mag/paper or the public relations events one might attend...but, more often that not...the gift is something useless and the events become exceeding tedious as one has to go after a full day of work and then see all the same people from all the other publications at every turn...

the best thing is a discount...then you can just get what you want at a reasonable price...

:flower: :woot:
A valid view from the INSIDE , as always . :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

KIT :flower:

So Charlie can now afford a £5000 bespoke Savile Row suit ftom KILGOUR , the HAPPENING tailors , since all the fuss of Alexander McQueen designing a collection for HUNTSMAN has died down !!! :wink:

NICE !!! :rolleyes:

( and as Soft would say , ' How much discount are we talking ? ' ) . :innocent:

KIT :meow:

Darn, him! He doesn't deserve it - this is the same man who's only other suit is Topman :o :( A suit that good should require some kind of ownership license and a test on the bespoke code...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 19th, 2004 - 5:43 am
Darn, him! He doesn't deserve it - this is the same man who's only other suit is Topman :o :( A suit that good should require some kind of ownership license and a test on the bespoke code...
Should we refer him to the ' Ask Andy ....' forum for the appropriate advice on the perils of ' BESPOKE ' ? :unsure:

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 16th, 2004 - 4:04 pm

Are Kit and Tybalt the exception? I don't know many other people who are are focused on the journo as our Kit and Tybalt. Maybe Charlie is a columnist :unsure:.

By the way, I hear that some journalists make £80,000 per year. Softgrey, is this just a misconception?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->