It's a Man Thing

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by kit, Feb 28, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. kit

kit New Member

I am posting this especially for PRINCE OF CATS , who I hope will appreciate it !!!

http://shopping.guardian.co.uk/clothes/story/0,,1156913,00.html

:innocent:KIT

#1 kit, Feb 28, 2004
    Last edited by moderator : Jul 12, 2008
  2. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

Very interesting. He brought up some issues I had never really thought about before. :flower:

"That male designers "really get women" is a fashion cliché, but one that seems remarkably naive. We find it awkward when a male novelist attempts to write in a first-person female voice, yet don't see anything strange about men designing for women. If you've never had bosoms and curves, never experienced how these swell and change, you're not going to "get" women. It is why so much of fashion objectifies: because some male designers haven't a clue what women actually want to wear, they construct a fantasy about, say, how the female ideal is to be a glam-rich-bitch in St Tropez, and try to dress them accordingly. They reveal how little they know women, and how they wish they themselves had been born."

3. kit

kit New Member

Spot on , PURPLELUCREZIA :heart:

It CAN be achieved , eg Yves Saint Laurent knew EXACTLY what a woman needed in the way of shape of garments etc , and Gustave Flaubert REALLY got into the mind and emotions of Madame Bovary , but they ARE the exceptions rather than the rule .

My favourite designer , apart from Yves , is Claude Montana , but I have to admit that what this article says is true . :cry:

http://www.gay-news.com/article.php?sid=275

He DOES have a very ' unnatural and fantastical ' view of a woman , but he DID have something in the way of ' CUT ' , that few , apart from Yves , could equal . B)

KIT :innocent:

4. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

As always, thank you kit for showing and telling :heart:

5. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

"That male designers "really get women" is a fashion cliché, but one that seems remarkably naive. We find it awkward when a male novelist attempts to write in a first-person female voice, yet don't see anything strange about men designing for women. If you've never had bosoms and curves, never experienced how these swell and change, you're not going to "get" women. It is why so much of fashion objectifies: because some male designers haven't a clue what women actually want to wear, they construct a fantasy about, say, how the female ideal is to be a glam-rich-bitch in St Tropez, and try to dress them accordingly. They reveal how little they know women, and how they wish they themselves had been born."

i know a lot of women who say this, but i've never heard a man say it before...pretty cool! there are some designers who get it and some who do not...some male designers are true geniuses and some design clothes for barbie dolls... :ninja:

thanks kit and thanks for the montana article...he's one of my inspirations...i love the architectural silhouette...he was so unique! :heart:

6. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Wow :shock: He made lots of valid points...I still think his lack of suits is highly disturbing and I went for an electric blue mini for my first time...I obviously just have more class...

7. kit

kit New Member

But can he get into 28" waist trousers ? ;)

KIT :innocent: