It's Great When You're Straight

I can't believe this woman's friend was so serious about her friend's hair! Having a "talk" with her because she doesn't like how she does her hair? :rolleyes: How shallow! :yuk:

I know I read the article and got pissed off on the author's behalf. Her mom dogs on her hair, her sister gives her straightening irons...she's surrounded by rude people! I'd probably get quite snarky with anyone who intervened with me and said, "Well, AYLI, your color---you know it is kind of fake...and that length? Um, no offense, but you look like a redheaded soccer mom." Yeah, they'd be wearing a size-8 up their butt in pretty short order.

Curly hair can be quite pretty, and whether she wears her hair natural or not shouldn't be anyone else's business. Too bad she didn't post some before and after pictures. I'm sure her hair was nice both ways, but straight hair doesn't work for everyone.

tragic....that's the only word that comes to mind...absolutely tragic...the pressure we women get to conform is just f...ing tragic...i know puh-lenty of girls with this dilemma in nyc...and may i add...in addition to straightening...no one is a natural blonde....

i myself have naturally jet black wavy hair...natural being the operative word...so f... 'em all!!! :flower: :angry:

no one is a natural blonde

Erm...yes they are...

I have naturally wavy hair - my girlfriend says I'm a woman and I have ringlets but I refuse to go straight...

EDITED for Freudian slip...

"When it gets humid, it's almost a Jewfro," Johanna is saying with brutal frankness. I blanch. For a Jew, my hair is not that curly.

Hmm...Does anyone else find this offensive? :ninja:
I'm speaking as a straight-haired, redheaded Jewish girl, of course...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Mar 13th, 2004 - 4:55 pm
no one is a natural blonde

Erm...yes they are...

I have naturally wavy hair - my girlfriend says I'm a woman and I have ringlets but I refuse to go straight...

EDITED for Freudian slip...
well, prince...i'll give you that in europe you're more likely to find some natural blondes...

i was just quoting one of my friends who is a hairstylist and always jokes about that...ny being such a melting pot, a natural blonde is hard to come by...although..'blondes' are everywhere...

i was speaking aboout ny because that's where the article was written... my apologies to all the flaxen-haired beauties out there :flower:

Oh, yeah, sorry I forgot...it's just where I live there's loads so you tend to forget...

"I have always found it morally wrong; shouldn't you stick with what God gave you, refuse to deny your ethnic heritage by pretending to be something you're not? New York is full of curly-haired brunette Jewish girls who've reinvented themselves as poker-straight blond streaky preppies. And yet ... I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: this morning's greasy application of Secret Agent Flawless Finishing Crème is struggling hopelessly against my tendency to pouf up into a, well, a Jewfro."

I am really not liking that term... :unsure:

Yeah, I found the term kind of offensive, too. I'm not really so sure why, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Some of my family is Jewish (I'm non-religious) and we've mostly got kind of boring, slightly-wavy/mostly straight light-brown hair. *yawn* Well, I dye mine a fairly obnoxious auburn shade, but that is because I don't like my haircut much, so I color it to make it more interesting.

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Mar 14th, 2004 - 1:35 am
"I have always found it morally wrong; shouldn't you stick with what God gave you, refuse to deny your ethnic heritage by pretending to be something you're not? New York is full of curly-haired brunette Jewish girls who've reinvented themselves as poker-straight blond streaky preppies. And yet ... I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: this morning's greasy application of Secret Agent Flawless Finishing Crème is struggling hopelessly against my tendency to pouf up into a, well, a Jewfro."

I am really not liking that term... :unsure:
i dont think i'll go through the article but from what i read here, i'd say its gross and lame to generalise hair texture regarding race..
any race 'branding' could make me go :blink:

i'd never get hysterical about hair, seems weird that people can write whole articles on something like this.. waste of energy :ninja:

lena's on target...it's a fluff piece given to a young writer...she's trying to get some attention by using what she hopes is a catchy phrase or term...not really worth spending too much time on... :innocent:

i really think Guardian is suffering from poor 'style' contributors.. :innocent:
(including the 'Ladystyle' journalist) this article almost ridicules jewish girls.. how pathetic :(

:shifty: hope the Guardian style chief editor secretly follows tFS forums :lol:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 13th, 2004 - 11:24 pm
i'd say its gross and lame to generalise hair texture regarding race..
any race 'branding' could make me go :blink:

After years of the 'why don't you look like a leprechaun' comments, I have to agree. :innocent:

hope the Guardian style chief editor secretly follows tFS forum

I don't...especially after what we said about Jess in another thread... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 13th, 2004 - 10:48 pm
no one is a natural blonde....
Same thing in Milano... There aren't that many naturally blond Italians, yet there are a lot of (more or less successfully coloured/highlighted) "blonds".

The definition of blond also seems a bit different from what I'm used to; anything not brown/black is considered blond?! For instance, someone was pointing out a girl to me, "the blonde", and I couldn't see one. Turns out the girl in question was a rather dark cendre, which isn't blond as far as I'm concerned. :wacko:

For the record, I am blond. Naturally. (When I was younger I used to want to be dark, but I've learnt to live with my colouring.)

My apologies if anyone found this offensive :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

It's just that I thought it would raise some valid points , which it HAS succeeded in doing . :blush:

KIT :innocent:

no one is a natural blonde....

I am! I was born with really light blonde hair, and as I got older, it's now more like a strawberry blonde :P

Hmm...Does anyone else find this offensive?
I'm speaking as a straight-haired, redheaded Jewish girl, of course...

I find it highly offensive. I am a straight haired blond Jewish girl, but still. Can't it just be a fro? Does it have to be called a Jewfro? Please! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Mar 14th, 2004 - 11:14 am
hope the Guardian style chief editor secretly follows tFS forum

I don't...especially after what we said about Jess in another thread... :innocent:
exactly becuase of these both articles and the criticising posts, he/she should better be lurking.. this kind of journalism may be entartaining but its clearly missleaded and misleading, a marginal of 'naiveness' is not represantative of the majority.. and FS reactions justify just this :flower:

My apologies if anyone found this offensive

It's just that I thought it would raise some valid points , which it HAS succeeded in doing .

KIT

the article did raise valid points and a very interesting reaction..
i had the same motives then quoted the entertainable still misleaded and misleading Gaurdian article on Ladylike chic
The reaction for FSmembers makes all the difference :mohawk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luxnova
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"