Ivy League/Preppy Style

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by pineapple, Feb 2, 2004.

1. pineapple

pineapple New Member

I really like the preppy styles...you know...a nice sweater and a crisp shirt underneath, with a dainty neck scarf. But that's not necessarily limited to that.

I also like to pull my hair into a low ponytail to create a sophisticated look. Anyway...what are your opinions on "sophisticated" and "preppy" styles? What's your favorite look/trend? Feel free to post pictures.

2. TheSweetest

TheSweetest New Member

i love that style a lot too. i sometimes can't get over how great a nice shirt looks under a cute sweater. really! but i love seamless turtlenecks, full skirts, and high, high heels with loose waves down or loosely pulled back. that i find really cute.

when it comes to sophistication, i am in love with high waisted pencil skirts and a crisp shirt. or maybe even a silk shirt, as long as it has shape. i'll be back with some pics ;)

3. pineapple

pineapple New Member

ooo i'm excited!!

4. lovespell

lovespell New Member

I have recently gotten into the sophisticated sexy look. Being in highschool I am surrounded by the teen version of "sexy". :doh: The other day, my friend wore tight low rise jeans, and a tiny tight top with huge hoop earrings, plus glitter eyeliner. I wore a high waisted pink pinstriped pencil skirt, a crisp white button up shirt and light pink pumps. My hair was down in soft waves and my only make up was mascara and cream blush.

I had some people tell me I looked sexy, but classy, not trashy. Yay. I felt like such a grown up. :)

As for preppy, I just bought a sleevless pink argyle sweater.

5. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

I love tweed. :heart:

Oh, and Lovespell, your outfit sounds really nice. :flower: Bravo for not falling prey to vulgar "teen sexy."

6. Amélie

Amélie New Member

i think cardigans are gonna be great...i think a cardigan with a full skirt speaks grease all over...and i'm obsessed wiv lil neck tiees, or a ribbon round the neck and high ponytails.i've been a fan of preppy for a while, but i think it's on it's way to because it's mod all the way now.

7. hollyslookingdry

hollyslookingdry New Member

Loafers and Lacoste polos or a crisp Oxford with a jacket over your shoulders.

8. Kimkhuu

Kimkhuu New Member

When it comes to preppy, I love Lacoste polos with knee lengt jean skirts or pale pleated jean skirt!

Tommy Hilfiger is my "inspiration" for preppy. Their latest preppy campaign was beyond hot!

9. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I admit that I've grown acustomed to the preppy look. To me, there are a few ways that you can come across as preppy...

Low-rise jeans, a white collar shirt w/ vest, oxfords or any type of boot w/ a heel

polo shirt w/ low-rise khakis, belt

I, too, like to sex up the preppy look. I'm in college, but love to have some fun - smoky eyes w/ a preppy outfit will do it for me, or maybe half pigtails w/ an argyle sweater. The possibilities are endless!

10. Kimkhuu

Kimkhuu New Member

I love preppy as long as it's not pushed too far (you know the preps that tend towards trashy). As long as you keep it looking really clean, I really like this style.

Well, it's actually my style.... :innocent: (well most of the time)

11. twilight fairy

twilight fairy New Member

yeah, i agree with Elle Gramour, i like to make the 'preppy' look for sexy, basically mixing and matching..because preppy alone is too..boring for my taste.

12. moon

moon New Member

I still love my Bermuda bag, I have almost twenty covers for it! Oh yeah- I do like script monograms! :flower:

13. FabulousFashion

FabulousFashion New Member

I am extremely preppy and one of my favorite preppy pieces is polo's!! I also looove Ralph Lauren clothes ( @ least most of them!). A look that was in June/July Teen Vogue (America) was a white Lacoste Polo, with an A-line ruffly, short, flirty skirt, pearl necklaces, chanel logo earrings (studs), and a Louis Vuitton bucket bag. It was sooo cuute! I also love tweed or boucle jackets!

14. StyleTeenie

StyleTeenie New Member

Lovespell, your outfit sounds perfect! I too have to deal with the overtly sexy-teen look daily - I like to leave a little to the imagination.

I'm a little on the obsessed side of the whole neo-preppy thing. I love to balance the country-club look with more feminine, trendy pieces. Skinny polo with ruffled skirt. Button down (sleeves rolled up) oxford with pencil skirt. Shrunken cardigan with frayed denim mini. I live for pearls, little jackets, argyle, and anything RL.

15. impossibleprincess

impossibleprincess kabhi alvida

I really like the Clueless preppy look-toned down obviously. I have a pair of cute silver ballet pumps that look cool with pleated minis. My friend sometimes wears a fitted white shirt with a black long-sleeved v-neck on top around uni with jeans, and i do it with a mini and the flats. ;)

16. rayncloudx

rayncloudx New Member

:heart: the guy and girl in the front :flower: so pretty
    :lol: guess i'm not into blondes

[​IMG]

17. Harvz88

Harvz88 New Member

i love sweaters around the neck!
    i think it's preppiness at its best....

18. ~*BabyPhat Princess*~

19. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

i wore a turquoise and fuschia striped oxford shirt with a bright green v-neck sweater over it with the collar and cuffs out.

is that preppy/sophisticated?

20. eterrien

eterrien New Member

I adore a lot of the preppy styles, whenever I know I need to look really pulled together and classy, I go with my standby, light cardigan, pencil skirt, ballet style flats, some really classic looking bangles, and a really interesting vintage handbag, to make it my own, I've found that preppy classics and intersting vintage is a show stopping combination.