J.W. Anderson X Uniqlo

Reaction score
BY OSMAN AHMED
MARCH 29, 2017 14:48
LONDON, United Kingdom — Japanese apparel giant Uniqlo is collaborating with Jonathan Anderson. The Irish designer, who is creative director of Loewe as well as his namesake London-based label, joins a roll call of major designers and other figures who have previously collaborated with the brand, including Jil Sander, Carine Roitfeld and Inès de la Fressange.

“Collaborations are incredibly important in design," said Anderson. "When I think of Uniqlo, I think of things that are perfectly made, that people have spent a lot of time considering; it’s a difficult job, and I think Uniqlo do it very well. Working with Uniqlo is probably the most incredible template of democracy in fashion, and it’s nice that my design can be accessible to anyone, on all different levels.”

“Much of the clothing we wear today has a long history, and many styles originated from uniforms or work wear," added Yuki Katsuta, senior vice president of Fast Retailing and head of research and design at Uniqlo. "The British Isles constitute a treasure house of such apparel, with duffle coats and fisherman’s sweaters being just two examples. In partnering with JW Anderson, one of Britain’s most innovative and creative brands, we will tap into traditions while pursuing progress in design and fabrics, to craft styles that are enduringly appealing.”

Anderson, 33, rose to prominence on the London Fashion Week schedule as a provocative menswear designer. He launched womenswear in 2010 and was appointed creative director of the Spanish leather goods brand Loewe in 2013. The designer's collaboration with Uniqlo sees him return to the high street for the first time since 2012, when he designed two limited edition collections of clothing and accessories for British retailer Topshop, both of which sold out within hours of launch.

Uniqlo parent Fast Retailing expects to post record operating profit in the year to August 2017.
The Business of Fashion

Thank god my money is already well spent on Lemaire's Uniqlo U, so I don't expect to be particularly seduced on this, taking into account I already don't like his own mainline and Loewe collections.

Really excited for this. I'm curious to see what he'll do since his brand doesn't quite a recognizable look or statement pieces to be replaced like other brands who did collaborations.

Jonathan is in such a roll, what a smooth sailing career.

This is so exciting, I can't wait!

I want to like him, but I just can't. I expect this to be a more watered-down version of his work, so I'll give it a chance. But just one.

I hope it will be more like his work for Loewe rather than his own line.
I'm going to keep an eye on this, curious to see what direction this will go.

This is great. JWA for me is about fun shirts and shirt dresses and fun knitwear. Those two things could be well executed by the Uniqlo team.
I expect more JW than Loewe because the appeal of Loewe is luxury. Sure JW add his own fun twist to it but Uniqlo should have another spirit...

Great collaboraton.
I kinda wonder why COS don't do collabs with designers. Their quality is great and i think that at COS/JWA collab could be great.

There are a couple good pieces but a majority of this I've seen before.

I actually like this very much. It is designed in a very intelligent way in a sense that he took advantage of what Uniqlo stand for and can execute in the best way possible.
The womenswear is quite strong. I hope the menswear is more adventurous in terms of fit. If those shirts or knit pieces are not oversized (something he is quite known for), it will be a big letdown for his fans.

But this is good so far!
It's kind of amazing that 3 years ago, i wasn't the biggest fan of his work and now, i'm totally obsessed by what he has to offer.

There are many pieces i want from this collection, a trench, bag, all the skirts, a few of the blouses and mens shirts, most of the sweaters, the tweed coat in grey, and maybe a scarf.
I hope the quality up to par or else it would be a useless purchase.

I actually like this very much. It is designed in a very intelligent way in a sense that he took advantage of what Uniqlo stand for and can execute in the best way possible.
The womenswear is quite strong. I hope the menswear is more adventurous in terms of fit. If those shirts or knit pieces are not oversized (something he is quite known for), it will be a big letdown for his fans.

But this is good so far!
It's kind of amazing that 3 years ago, i wasn't the biggest fan of his work and now, i'm totally obsessed by what he has to offer.

I think that's mostly because he kept it at giving classic Uniqlo staples a quirky touch and slightly elevated quality - Better than the Ines de la Fressange and Carine Roitfeld collections for the most part, but not as good as Lemaire's Uniqlo U collection, which I will probably prefer to buy over this.

Of course there will be people coming especially for it because it's J.W. Anderson but I think for the most part it's very much signature Uniqlo clothes that can work somehow for everybody and that differentiate themselves enough from what they are already doing with Christophe Lemaire on a larger frame work (Mind you, I prefer the more austere elegance of Lemaire over this, but there are some good pieces here that even I would buy and my own sense of style couldn't be further away from J.W. Andersons').

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->