Jacquemus Mens S/S 2019

I wouldn't mind adding some of these pieces to my wardrobe.

The casting and styling are sexy. A lot of the designers that were dressing this type of athletic man have started to go after a younger more street style based clientele. I think he will fill a void and I'm excited to see how this progresses.

This is some Andrew Christian, Aussiebum level of basic...

I mean...the best part about his shows are always the skirts and heels, anything but surprised his menswear is so lightweight and uninspiring.

Yet everyone turned their noses up at Dior Homme??? :lol: :lol:

This collection doesn't even belong in the same bracket as LV, it's straight up H&M/Zara! Jacquemus appears to be trying his best to regress menswear to it's basic, joyless state. Should've stayed behind the till at CDG!

Yet everyone turned their noses up at Dior Homme??? :

Different brands, different designers, different expectations and different spirit.

This is the show of a womenswear designer introducing menswear in Marseille, on the beach. I don’t think anyone can clearly have huge expectations over this.

To be honest, the collection could have been shown on some mannequins in a showroom in Paris but I guess he didn’t want to expose himself with a pressure of having to show in Paris the season of Virgil and Kim.

If this collection was his debut at an historic house, believe us that he would have been criticized for it.

Jacquemus needs to be more specific to which are his target market. Basing on this collection, it looks like he was indecisive. Other than that it lacks more elements as it needs more of it. It's lackluster in general, a weak debut.

Are people so bored with high fashion they’re dressing like Middle-America now?

This is as non-descript pedestrian as it gets. It’s Tommy Banana... Maybe his are of premium quality? So what? Who’s going to pay premium prices for basic, “well-made" board shorts? they’re board shorts LOL He’s so bland and generic, it’s not even fair to mention Virgil in the same sentence with this Sears collab.

Isabel Marant has been doing it for years to great success, i do not see the problem.

He's attempting to go for the simple and understated luxe look. It didn't work because it looks very cheap. It may as well be Banana Republic. Maybe if he stopped taking shirtless pictures of himself on the beach and actually put more attention into his work this collection would have been successful. His women's collection for spring is starting to look like a one hit wonder. I agree with Lola about the cast, I love me some men. :brows:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
I don’t think that what he was going for actually.
He was inspired by the way guys dress in Marseille and said in his interview that he made something less sophisticated than his womenswear.

I think it’s too early to judge frankly. I want to see what he can do with heavier fabrics and more tailored pieces.

It’s a «*weak*» collection but that doesn’t bother me in his case.

Different brands, different designers, different expectations and different spirit.

Odd that you're using that in his defense. Even if this was compared next to Kim or any other trending designer's debut collection, it would still pale tremendously. I should think it's even more embarrassing for him when you bear in mind he's got far more creative freedom than Kim. Complete autonomy, no house codes to adhere to.

If he's not confident enough to turn out a solid men's line, and that much can be gathered by this dull as dishwasher offering, why the need to inject himself into the menswear vernacular so soon? Stay in your little studio and hone in on your skills a bit more before you come out to play.

The fact of the matter is that the fashion industry simply don't need another pander to, to borrow a phrase from Phuel, the lowest common denominator. The scene is littered with brands like that. From high end to high street. Just flip open a copy of US GQ or Esquire and you'll see the myriad of options. So I'm confused as to exactly why he felt men would need even more golfers and boardshorts.

But at least there's a silver lining for Ralph Lauren and Kors! When the time will come to pack it in, they'll have a perfect replacement. France's hottest new designer (sic).

Odd that you're using that in his defense.

I'm not using it in his defense. It's just a fact. I don't have the same expectations for every designer because the context count. And the context of french fashion done by a non-parisian guy count. And more than that, the context of this being his first collection also count.

I'm thinking about someone like JWA. His first menswear collection couldn't be more different to what it was in the beginning and i feel like overtime, he has found his identity.

Maybe the main thing is that for some reason, a lot of you have higher expectations for his menswear but looking at his womenswear and his personal style, it may being slightly weak but it's not surprizing at all.

Ps: i think that Kim Jones has as much creative freedom as Jacquemus. Pragmatism doesn't mean creative restrictions. Maybe he sets it for himself but that's on him. That's the case for Virgil, Nicolas, MGC or KVA.

^^
I don’t think that what he was going for actually.
He was inspired by the way guys dress in Marseille and said in his interview that he made something less sophisticated than his womenswear.

I think it’s too early to judge frankly. I want to see what he can do with heavier fabrics and more tailored pieces.

It’s a «*weak*» collection but that doesn’t bother me in his case.

That's a blatant and uninspired point of reference. "He was inspired by the way guys dress in Marseille". What's the point of a show if your just going to recreate what's on the street? Isn't a fashion show supposed to present new ideas and offer different ways of dressing? He should have saved this for a capsule collection. Based on the hype I was expecting something chic and sexy, similar to his women's collection for spring. I wanted lightness and flowy fabrics with a hint of luxe. You can do great fashion without strict tailoring and heavier fabrics. It's a missed opportunity. I dress light year round so, hopefully his next one will be seasonless and thought out.

Some flowy shirts with hand-drawn prints, more luxurious knitwear and some form of outterwear that's sailor-inspired would have sufficed. He could take a page out of Yohji for menswear that's truly non-chalant yet unmistakably "fashion".

That's a blatant and uninspired point of reference. "He was inspired by the way guys dress in Marseille". What's the point of a show if your just going to recreate what's on the street? Isn't a fashion show supposed to present new ideas and offer different ways of dressing? He should have saved this for a capsule collection. Based on the hype I was expecting something chic and sexy, similar to his women's collection for spring. I wanted lightness and flowy fabrics with a hint of luxe. You can do great fashion without strict tailoring and heavier fabrics. It's a missed opportunity. I dress light year round so, hopefully his next one will be seasonless and thought out.

You have a point.
Personally i’m reserving my harsh judgement for January.
This season I had expectations for Virgil, Kim and they have disappointed me. September is about Riccardo and Hedi and in January will be the moment for me to see if there’s some light at the end of the tunnel for Virgil and Simon (because let’s face it, Kim is in another league).

But at the end of the day I think everybody agrees to say that this show is not important, influential or anything like that.

You have a point.
Personally i’m reserving my harsh judgement for January.
This season I had expectations for Virgil, Kim and they have disappointed me. September is about Riccardo and Hedi and in January will be the moment for me to see if there’s some light at the end of the tunnel for Virgil and Simon (because let’s face it, Kim is in another league).

But at the end of the day I think everybody agrees to say that this show is not important, influential or anything like that.

It's true that first shows have polarised opinions. The reason why many people had high expectations was because of the press leading up to it. It's a shame that he didn't use that to his advantage. It could have been a major moment. Believe it or not, I was actually looking forward to this. :shock: Oh well, better luck next time?

Who’s going to pay premium prices for basic, “well-made" board shorts? they’re board shorts LOL
the same people that said about Hedi’s godawful 80s trash ‘ok so it looks like this, BUT THE TAILORING, HIS SKILLS, THE QUALITY!’ :lol:

I only travelled from page 1 to 3 and already forgot what the collection looks like.. kind of just remember the situation in his big toe, you would think he’s on pointe 4 hours a day..

Last edited by a moderator:
^Sorry but that's such lazy comparision, board shorts don't actually demand any sort of expertise, fancy patternmaking or careful consideration for the simple reason that they're meant as leisure wear wereas leather jackets, patchwork dresses or fringe suede jackets can be worn in a dressier context. No one that I know would have such use for board shorts, no matter how exquisite.

^ yeah no, not doing my thumb workout on this but in short: talked more about purely fugly designs/fabric waste and the way people that naturally orbitate towards all things trendy/status will rationalize it, usually with technical airs as if discussing biochemistry. Is it a plastic sock or haute couture?.. taste still shows.

Simon Porte Jacquemus Talks About His Much-Anticipated Menswear Debut

JUNE 25, 2018 6:30 AM
by MARK HOLGATE

Late last year, Simon Porte Jacquemus told me he was finally ready to show menswear, something he then relentlessly teased via social media without ever actually saying he was doing it. Until, that is, he bounded out at the end of his Le Souk women’s show in Paris this past February in a sweatshirt emblazoned with the words L’Homme Jacquemus, and then we all knew. Four months later, his men’s is almost here, with a show on a Marseille beach at 6:00 p.m. local time on June 25. What follows is a conversation about his Jacquemus menswear debut that we had a few weeks ago, and Simon was his usual honest and upbeat self. If he is always so engaging to speak to it’s because he never does anything less than engage with life and how he thinks it should be lived. He’s as open as he is talented.

Tell me why you decided to launch menswear.

I did my label Jacquemus for my mother, to not only tell a story about women, but also to keep speaking about her. For me to do men’s . . . it felt right to do it because of a sincere reason, something that happened in my life. I am not just doing it because I am already doing women’s. I have to feel it; it’s not just a business thing. I mean, it is partly for business, of course, because we are developing a line, but it is very special.

I remember, when I saw you in New York last November, you said that you’d fallen in love and that was the catalyst for the men’s.

When I fell in love last year, I then knew exactly who the Jacquemus man is, so I thought, I want to do a men’s line right now! I was really obsessed, and that energy made me start the men’s. Voilà! I’m not with Gordon [von Steiner] anymore, since the last show [in February] and since I announced I was doing the men’s . . . . It’s another story now, but it’s fine.

So why?

Why this [relationship]? I don’t know. Because Gordon inspired me a lot and we were very connected artistically. And, yes, it was one of my most . . . I have had two important relationships in my life. One was six years, and we did Jacquemus a bit together, and in fact he is still working with me. I love building something with someone. It’s really important for me. And being with Gordon gave me that.

Did doing a men’s collection come out of a specific moment or conversation you had with each other?

It was more a feeling. I was obsessed with the way he was dressing. I think Gordon has very particular taste. I don’t know . . . the way he would tuck his T-shirt into his pants, his jewelry, the mix of colors [he wears]. And he is one of the most good-looking guys I have ever met! He is really simple [in his style] but also particular. I was like, wow. I am sure Jacquemus men’s is going to be a mix between us both.

What are you calling it?

Jacquemus. Just Jacquemus. I say L’Homme Jacquemus always on my Instagram so I can be precise that I am speaking about that, but the label will be Jacquemus.

What’s going to be the attitude, the spirit, of the men’s?

For me, it is someone, like, very Mediterranean; that’s really important. That’s also why I finally decided to show in the South of France and not in Paris or New York. Being there will really give this Mediterranean idea of the brand. More and more, for every [women’s] collection, I keep speaking about the Mediterranean; you know, last summer was Spain and a bit of Brazil; this winter it was Morocco; but next summer [women’s] will be something else about the South of France.

Can you tell me a bit about where and how you’ll show?

I was unsure about where it would be, but I always had this beach, a calanque, in Marseille in mind and I did not give up on this idea even if it turned out too complicated to organize, so we did everything possible to make it happen. For me it’s one of the most beautiful and inspiring places that I know, so it was important to start the first menswear collection in this place.

What kind of mood and feel did you want to evoke with the location of the show?

I was looking for something very natural and easy. Of course, it’s a paradisiacal place, but it’s not fake paradisiacal, nothing like a luxury place. It’s really a spot where all the families from Marseille go on the weekend. A very popular place, not a private beach. For the collection I wanted to get [somewhere that was] this beautiful and paradisiacal [location], but at the same time a popular and simple family environment.

You’re working on it with Woolmark, and I hear that it really helped make the show happen.

It’s been our third season working closely with Woolmark. Wool is mostly seen as a winter fabric, but I always like to use it in summer. Woolmark has been a great help with finding new fabrics, manufacturers, and techniques; all the pieces realized with Woolmark will carry its label together with mine. Through this amazing collaboration, my dream to show my first menswear collection in Marseille came true!

What does your southern French inspiration mean in terms of the clothes?

I mean, it could be a lot of clichés about the Mediterranean, but in my own way. It could be like, comme l’a dit, like a badass: a full sweatshirt look, with the bad cap, the bad bag, the bad [neck] chain, or the guy in a suit with the wrong shirt under it, or no shirt under it. It could be like the swimmer, or the fisherman, or the guy in pajamas on the beach. The first collection is going to be le gadjo, what you call the guy in the . . .

Does it mean, like, a dude?

Yes, but it comes from the gypsies in the south; they call all the guys who are not gypsies les gadjé. It’s something that people use. It’s like bomba; it’s a way to speak about someone.

Can you give me some more details on the clothes?

There’s going to be a floral, very Calder, very Matisse. And we have a lot of wheat prints, very yellow, very Arles, very Provençal. [In a way it speaks to the women’s . . . ], but it’s much easier. My thing is I really want to be able to wear everything that I design. That’s my goal. And the prices . . . they’ll be half of the women’s.

Really?

Yes, I am aiming to make it very affordable. I know how men think in a shop. We won’t sell an 800 euro shirt, but [one at ] 270 we will. I am really into dressing guys, but it’s hard for me, because I have to find a simplicity that is not too simple, but not a simplicity that’s available everywhere else; I can’t just do a polo shirt and I can’t just do craziness. It’s a balance. If I don’t think I can walk in the street in it, we won’t sell it.

It’s that thing of you want it to be fashion but not fashion . . .

I don’t want it to get . . . it’s hard to say, because, I mean, I am working in fashion, I am doing fashion, but I don’t want to do a fashion line [for men]. It’s weird to say that, because I know I am doing it in a way. And when I see the shoes and the bags—there are more bags than in the women’s collection! But I don’t know—I want to keep it very accessible.

Do you have a favorite piece or look?

The hoodies, but they’re done in knitwear; it’s a special technique. And we’re doing a total sport look, very Lacoste, but we are doing it in silk.

It’s interesting; we’ve seen so much fashion of late that’s aimed at blurring gender boundaries, whereas your approach is the exact opposite of that.

Yes. You see the first guy I published [on Instagram]? He’s over two meters; he’s 125 kilos. He’s also the type of guy we don’t see in fashion right now, a big guy like him. If you are using muscle guys, you’re bad, you’re a bad brand. But me, I’m not saying: Oh, the models are going to be all muscular. Non, the guys are going to be healthy. That’s the mood I want to bring. Even in the women’s, I want to have more shape—a healthy shape, more of a sports shape, like we could find in the ’90s; models who were just healthy. And it’s the same with the men’s. I do sports three times a week, it’s the most important thing in the week . . . so I want the guys to be healthy, not super-muscular, not super-beautiful. Very sunny. That’s what I want.

Who was that guy you shot?

Yoann Maestri. He is a rugby player, a famous one; he plays for Toulouse and the French national team.

How did you reach him?

I called him, and he was very happy [to be involved]; he wasn’t surprised. He said he loved the brand; he told me he had discovered it when I did the swimming pool show. I said that the picture I wanted to do [on Instagram] was inspired by Respiro, an Italian movie set by the sea, with Valeria Golino, and he told me that it was one of his favorite films. He has an art gallery in Toulouse. He is so curious about everything. I don’t know what I expected, but he’s a nice guy. He has like a mental force; you can feel it. He is really the Jacquemus man.

Does thinking about the South of France, the idea of that location, also influence how you cast your show?

When you live in front of the beach, in the south, you’re always bit more naked, but it’s not also a celebration of a good body. I don’t want to say that. It’s a healthier [physique] I want to show. When I look at some men’s shows, I always think the models are very young and they look a bit sick. It’s not my aesthetic. They look so sad . . . like little birds. That’s why I picked Yoann—he’s like a normal guy, in a way.

Are you working with models or casting ‘real’ people?

I am working with models. I am also trying to find models who are a bit older. To work with real guys, it’s hard . . . the clothes are made for one [size]. A lot of people are commenting, Why don’t you work with a different kind of body? And I am like, it’s already hard to do one size for a young brand; it’s already so hard to do one size for the fit. The gradations of the sizing . . . it’s a nightmare already to have to fit with what the agencies have. But I, of course, will try to show someone healthier.

Did you care about how you dressed when you were growing up in the South of France?

I was obsessed with yellow and stripes, which are still something I care about a lot. If you look at pictures from my childhood, you always will see me in full yellow in the middle of the classroom. I was obsessed by the sun, so much. My mother was always doing my closet in two parts. One was to stay home, because we lived in the countryside, so you can destroy those, and then fancy things for school. She’d say, ‘Today you are staying in the garden, in the fields, so don’t dress up,’ and I’d say, ‘No, I am not dressing like a farmer!’ I was really obsessed. Already.

Source: Vogue.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->