J'adore Couture

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Apr 8, 2004.

1. TheSweetest

TheSweetest New Member

i totally agree!

2. FashionVixen

FashionVixen New Member

I honestly think it is pretty :sick: to pay that much for clothing. Clothing is for warmth, protection, and self-expression but when it comes to the point where you can buy a third-world country for as much you're spending on couture, I think that's horribly selfish. I guess one does have to spend their millions somewhere but I honestly don't understand the point. They're beautiful clothes but I have no respect for a person who buys couture instead of using that money to help society. If I had the money to buy couture, I'd buy a piece or two for the most important galas or whatnot then devote the extra to improving the lives of those who need it. It's really SICK to buy a $30,000 dress when a child in your 20 mile radius is dying of starvation.

3. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

I would buy couture just as I would buy fine pieces of art if they were available to me. Couture is... just wow. Its such a gift to be able to afford it...

*sighs*

4. Sephora_Socialite

Sephora_Socialite Fierce Flava

Like the shirt I'm wearing says "Dude, Where's My Couture?" :cry:

I think if you had that type of money, buying haute couture is like buying something from the department store...a few thousand is nothing.

If I was ultra rich, I would buy a few investement pieces because

fashion is a form of art and haute couture is the best and most exquisite type.

Plus, if I worked my butt off to becoming some type of business tycoon and made millions....don't you think I deserve a haute couture gown? :unsure:

But still...and no I wouldn't go hoarding my money to myself...obviously if I was that rich I would totally be into charities and donating because I would know that there's people in need and I was just privilaged but I could damn be one of them just as easily and as a normal class gal, I already do that, more so if I had more money to give...if I wore a Valentino couture gown to the charity event so, what?...It doesn't make me any less of a good samaritan if I enjoyed my clothes...
    I got to enjoy some money for myself and what makes me happy? Clothes do.I think any girl does to a point...dont you like to feel pretty?I know I do.

And I wouldn't go obsessed or overboard, I wouldn't want to become bankrupt from my overspending...

But I seem to do so anyways, with my normal middle class self.. :ninja:

5. FabulousFashion

FabulousFashion New Member

:huh: [/b][/quote]
    OK the onnnly reason I did that was because some people were acting as if they didn't know what they were talking about, and needed an explanation! I'm not trying to act like a know it all or anything, sry for any hard feelings! You'd also be sorry if you knew who I was, cause, well, let's just say I'm related to a fashion "big-wig"... but really you guys I love this forum! It's sooo much fun and everyone's so cheerful and everything! sorry if i sounded like I was explaining something most people already knew! lolllll :flower: :heart:

6. pradaromance

pradaromance New Member

7. brian

brian New Member

mmhmm... :innocent:

8. pradaromance

pradaromance New Member

;)

9. FabulousFashion

What I'm talking about is on page 2 if u guys dont get it r sumthin! lol I prob look like a freak, but hey! :blush:

10. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

there's a lot of talk about buying couture instead of art or instead of donating to charity however if you follow the lives of most couture clients you'll see that a million a year is really not that much money...for most of them it's interest income...artwork like a picasso costs in the tens of millions and in the tens of thousands to insure. most rich people donate millions to charity (millions more, i might add, than most people who complain about the habits of the rich)...you don't buy couture simply to look good or smart, you buy couture because it's the best money can buy. you would never suggest a rich person go buy a print of a monet (except maybe to put on their 60 footer) instead of the real thing and ready-to-wear is nothing if not derivative. :glare:

11. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

no problems, share and enjoy :flower:

12. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

I've barely even got a second page :ninja: :lol:

13. whereisthatsusu

whereisthatsusu New Member

like who? :innocent:

14. FabulousFashion

I'm not trying to taunt r tease ne one but when ppl say things r ugly sometimes they think it's the over the top stuff on the runways... I have no clue if that's what this person meant but c'mon I can't explain something? It really shouldn't be a big deal! Sorry if you guys don't think I'm as experienced as you or something cause I just joined the FS, but, you don't even know who I am! Pleasse, can this stop, no hard feelings???? :unsure:

15. whereisthatsusu

whereisthatsusu New Member

it isn't a big deal, and there were never any hard feelings ^_^

i just didn't understand the point of your first post...the thread was started under the assumption that everyone understood the basics of couture. and regarding too kuhle's comment - it's his/her own opinion :flower:

16. FabulousFashion

I know that that was too kuhle's opinion and that's why I said I'm not taunting or teasing anybody! Sorry, I was just trying to help..... lol Thanks for being understanding and nice and everything! :flower:

17. brian

brian New Member

Okay, I just HAD to add this..but is THIS what VersaceW11 was referring to when they mentioned wearing a couture tree dress? :winkiss: :innocent:

[​IMG]

Thierry Mugler S/S 1997 Haute Couture

18. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

19. Acid

Acid yes

1) i wish there was mens couture

2) if i were a woman, the only couture things i would buy would be the exclusive jewellery, shoes and chanel jackets

most is way too expensive unless you have a real real real important event to attend such as the launch of your first novel or something

20. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

Bespoke tailoring? Closest alternative as far as I know. Some bespoke suits can be incredibly expensive, luxurious, and all around posh...