Jasmin Shokrian Fall/Winter 2005, New York

brian

Reaction score
NEW YORK, February 5, 2005 – For Los Angeles-based designer Jasmin Shokrian, her first show in New York was a happy, almost unreal experience that's been a long time in the planning. Like a lot of her young peers, she opted to show a small number of well-edited pieces. The first look, a black wool crepe dress, with one sculpted petal sleeve and a tucked, asymmetric hem showcased her training as a sculptor (at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago), while a silk crepe skirt with a balloony polka-dot front suggested her affinity for Japanese design à la CDG and Watanabe.

Shokrian worked her considerable draping and tailoring techniques on a variety of fabrics, often layering darkly colored and substantial wools and brocades over sheer, lightly colored chiffon tops, to varying degrees of success. A wool coat with detachable canvas layer seemed bulky, while her strict, cocoony capelets were chic. The highlight of the show was a black wool jersey dress, anchored by a leather belt—an eminently wearable evening look. (Its cousin, a more casually chic tunic-length version, was shown over pants.) Shokrian's sculptural leanings can, at times, take her into overly abstract territory, but her more body-conscious designs should appeal to the adventurous urban consumer.

– Laird Borrelli

00010f.jpg
00020f.jpg

00030f.jpg
00040f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I really like almost all of those looks!
Thanks for posting, Brian!:flower:

ETA: To clarify: I'm not a polkadot fan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, I showed these pictures to my wife, who absolutely swooned at once!:heart: Have you any idea where or when this might be going on the market?
TIA

here are a few details from firstview.com as i really liked this collection with its subtle asymmetries and mix of graphic and toned down colours .... (and i do like polkadots^_^)

Attachments

• 0s.JPG
    0s.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 0sh.JPG
    0sh.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0shok.JPG
    0shok.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 0shokr.JPG
    0shokr.JPG