Jefferson Hack

tapenerd

Reaction score
Moderator's Note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
  • Please stay on topic!
  • Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use the search function.
Thank you!

At Balenciaga
00060m.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Yves Saint Laurent after-party
d9815052-2b9b-11df-9af3-404010b179cd

purple-diary

^ Great outfit, love his reuse of the coat and scarf. He has been looking hotter than ever lately.

Jefferson has an interview in Purple Magazine S/S 10, here is some excerpts from it:

fashionabecedaire.tumblr.com
Jefferson Hack is one of my publishing heroes. As empty and cliché as the sentence might be, I love how Dazed & Confused, Another Magazine and Another Man are different from other fashion magazines in the market.
Hack gave an interview to Purple Fashion magazine’s Olivier Zahm for the Spring Summer 2010 issue of the magazine in which he explains the genesis of his publications:

On Interview magazine’s influence:
Interview magazine is hugely important to me. I bought my first copy of it when I was 13. It was a special issue about the future. […] I saw the magazine and flipped through it and it spoke to me. […] I realised that the magazine harnessed creative energy. It mixed sexual politics with forward thinking and a kind of intense interdisciplinary crossover of art, fashion, music, and film. […] Interview was a window through which I saw a world I couldn’t experience through any other medium. […] I immediately understood that this magazine could have the power to make a lid living in the provinces. a kid who feels different, who has troubles with bullies at school, feel like he’s not alone in the world.​

On meeting Rankin, who became co-founder of Dazed in 1991:
In my first month at [The London] college [of Printing] a guy named Rankin walked into a class I was in and said, “I’m part of the student union. I’m recruiting people to make the student magazine”. He was going around looking for a team. He was doing a BA in photography and had taken a sabbatical to become a member of the student union.​

Hack was then the only student to turn up to the magazine meeting. His first interview was with Gilbert and George. He had no idea who they were.
Rankin had total faith in me even though I had no qualification for the job. He gave me the confidence to take it on. Without him, I would never have done it.​

Their student magazine went on to scooping Best Magazine and Best Design at the Guardian Student Media Awards. Hack then left college to start Dazed.
The first issue we did was a three-poster magazine: three pieces of folded paper that made a poster, in black and white. Totally self-distributed. It was like a manifesto. When you opened it out, you had editorial on one side and a whole poster image on the other. The idea was that kids could paste it on their wall. But it took a long time. It was a year between the first and second issues, and then another three months before the third. We started using staples in issue four, and to perfect binding in issue 20.​

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_l14r8nz2GV1qzwof2

LAETITIA CRAHAY, JEFFERSON HACK and JOSEPHINE DE LA BAUME at the Yazbukey House of Drama party at Raspoutine, Paris.
purple-diary

jeffersonhackbofannounc.jpg

9 April, 2010 by Imran Amed, Editor
LONDON, United KingdomThe Business of Fashion is pleased to announce the launch of FASHION PIONEERS, a series of live interview events with the industry’s most interesting operators, set amidst a fashion landscape that’s being radically reshaped by the forces of digital revolution and rapid globalisation in a post-recessionary economy.
I am delighted to reveal that our first FASHION PIONEER will be Jefferson Hack, Editorial Director of Dazed Group, a true industry leader, known for his great intellectual curiosity, thirst for innovation and demonstrated support for emerging creative talent in music, fashion and art.
The impact of Jefferson’s work has been felt across the fashion world, online and off, for almost two decades. Since he co-founded Dazed & Confused in 1992 with the photographer Rankin, the monthly magazine has become a staple of global youth culture. His sister publications AnOther Magazine and AnOther Man pioneered the concept of a bi-annual fashion bible and are amongst the top selling British fashion magazines abroad, while DazedDigital.com has become a laboratory of digital experimentation and that BoF passion, Fashion 2.0.
We are delighted to make a limited number of tickets available to BoF Readers who would like to attend the event, to be held at London’s Sanderson Hotel.
We hope you will join us for this very special and intimate gathering of the BoF community to learn from a great pioneer in the business of fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->