Jeweleye

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Missy44x, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Missy44x

Missy44x New Member

Eeeyew!!!!
    AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Body piercing and tattoos make way. The latest fashion trend to hit the Netherlands is eyeball jewelry.
    [​IMG]

Dutch eye surgeons have implanted tiny pieces of jewelry called "JewelEye" in the mucous membrane of the eyes of six women and one man in cosmetic surgery pioneered by an ophthalmic surgery research and development institute in Rotterdam.

The procedure involves inserting a 3.5 mm (0.13 inch) wide 1 piece of specially developed jewelry -- the range includes a glittering half-moon or heart -- into the eye's mucous membrane under local anaesthetic at a cost of 500 to 1,000 euros ($1,232).

"In my view it is a little more subtle than (body) piercing. It is a bit of a fun thing and a very personal thing for people," said Gerrit Melles, director of the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery (www.NIIOC.nl).

The piece of jewelry is inserted in the conjunctiva -- the mucous membrane lining the inner surface of the eyelids and front of the eyeball -- in sterile conditions using an operating microscope in a procedure taking about 15 minutes.

"Without doing any harm to the eye we can implant a jewel in the conjunctiva," Melles said. "So far we have not seen any side effects or complications and we don't expect any in the future."

The Rotterdam-based institute, which develops new ocular surgical techniques in corneal, cataract and retinal surgery, developed and patented the jewelry made with special materials and the surgical procedure.

The institute, which carries out the procedure in cooperation with an eye clinic near the city of Utrecht, said it has a waiting list for people who wanted the implant.

2. lele

lele New Member

no thanks! looks gross to me....

3. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

Disgusting! Looks very dangerous, too. What sort of insane person has a cheezy, non-functional modification done to his or her eye anyway?

That is so very gross. Imagine if that thing got loose if the wearer rubbed her eye? Probably would scratch the hell out of the eyeball.

This is a very stupid idea, even worse than teeth-jewelry. I certainly hope this never, ever becomes any sort of a trend.

4. Sugo

Sugo New Member

That's just wrong. In every way possible.

5. pinkillumination

pinkillumination New Member

ahaa!

i think this 'jeweleye' is utterly pointless, but thanx for the info, i dont think i would have ever known this had existed if it wasnt for this thread! lol :blush:

6. highheels

highheels New Member

:wacko: Have people run out of ways to accessories. Are people that desperate for attention that they have to wear jewlery inside of their eyes. Please don't tell me this is what FASHION is coming to.

7. fuj

fuj New Member

um, ouch?

8. tott

tott slightly dizzy

This is creative I guess... And yeah, ouch.

I don't understand the point of this, at all. It probably just looks like you have some dirt in your eye unless people are creeping up extremely close.

9. too kuhle

too kuhle New Member

that looks awesome but would hurt way too much. i don't even have my ears pierced

10. Missy44x

Missy44x New Member

I would never do that :cry: ... it looks very very very painful.. oh well.. see what people will do for style LOL or at least an attempt to be stylish lol :lol:

11. Missy44x

Missy44x New Member

Another pic:

[​IMG]

12. seleria73

seleria73 New Member

Ohhhhhhh imagine rubbing your eye and then....ohhhhh forget it! Yuck

13. vintage_princess

vintage_princess Adorable illusion

Actually as strange as this sounds the little heart looks kinda cute but definitely not worth the money :innocent:

14. paprika_hiccup

paprika_hiccup Reanimated

Evidence of humanity's evolution into cyborg? If you think about the way we are all "attached" to our cell phones- wireless internet networks, wearable computers etc.- the next step is to incorporate different technologies into our bodies.

I think the technology is very cool- the implant itself. It will be alot cooler if it did something other than just sit inside of the eye. Maybe a tiny camera/ hard drive that would record and store our visual perceptions? Wow- that I would pay xx dollars for- but for an eye jewel? A nice start- but implants are just going to become more and more amazing :shock: :ninja:

15. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

OUCH!! :cry:
    if something ever happened to my eyes!!!! eeeeeeeek
    GOD FORBID

16. fashionbug

fashionbug New Member

Seems harsh in my opinion.

17. chocsta

chocsta New Member

I agree :doh:

18. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I fidn it veyr beautiful, but i would not get it.

19. neonpinkstains

neonpinkstains New Member

Wow that seems so pointless and a huge waste of money! :shock:
    In both the pics the main part or the eye is looking as far to the side as possible so that we get a good view of the jewell. But it looks like if we ever looking anywhere besides our nose the jewell would be hidden, and therefore pointless.
    :innocent:

20. model_mom

model_mom Active Member