Joey Mills - Makeup Artist

justaguy

Staff member
Reaction score
joey+mills+et+brooke+shields+80.jpg

A veteran of the beauty industry, legendary makeup artist Joey Mills has worked on numerous magazine spreads, runway shows and supermodels. And, if you remember that teensy jeans ad back in the 80s in which a full-browed beauty (eh hem, Brooke Shields) made us all envious of her classic beauty you’d like to know that Mills was the man behind the makeup on that shoot.

Below Mills fills us in about working with Shields and Calvin Klein, how we can prep our brows for the full brow look, and what his must-have beauty products are!

You worked with Brooke Shields on the iconic Calvin Klein Jeans ad in the 80s. What was your inspiration for her look?
Calvin Klein wanted something that was very fresh, very clean and most of all agelesswhen you see the jean ads you can see that she could be 23, 18, or 17. She was basically ageless and mainly classic. He wanted something that was peachy, complexion, bronzy, with not a lipstick color per se but a color that was rougey and didnt have anything to do with trendy or in at the momenta whole collaboration that was a fresh, clean classic look.

Defined brows are back this season. How can we pull off the bold brow look, and what makeup coordinates well with it?
You really have to spend as much time brushing your brows as you do brushing your hair or combing your hair particularly before you make them up. Always have a pair of tweezers in hand so you can do that natural archits all about the shape as well as the thickness. You have to look at the rest of the look with your makeup and contour it. You always should try to have a little bit of a taupey bronze colored blush and then right on top of it you should have a blush that has a little bit of a shine and a little bit of color, so contour and bone structure is key. Another tip for that is to make sure to use a very pale gold right under your eyebrows, once theyre arched. When I worked with Brooke Shields for a lot of magazine covers I always worked with eyebrow pencils and a brush to blend the eyebrows.

You’ve worked with everyone from Liza Minnelli to Barbara Walters. What are your tips for perfecting a natural look that is all your own?
I always always work with two to three concealers under makeup moisturizer, never put makeup on until you really moisturize your face from your neck to your hairline because it gets the circulation going and follow it up around the eyes and around the nose the key to a beautiful peachy complexion are concealers.

A lot of your work from the 70s and 80s is trendy again today such as the spidery lash and bold cheek color. Do you have any tips for doing these looks today?
I would pull it off with a cleaner version, instead of wearing those thick fake lashes get individualsit opens up the eyes so much. Also, instead of lining underneath the eye to your nose stop of the eye and blend it out and then use a lighter color eyeliner on the inside to make your eye bigger. You’ll still have the drama and it will come off very clean.

Bold lip colors are a huge trend for summerdo you have any tips for how to wear these bright colors?
My favorite is the Russian Red by MAC and I change it into six different tones of red by changing the lip pencil and I use the pencil as a lipstick base not as a lip lineryou can make it look dramatic, soft or even natural when going to work.

And finally, what are your must have beauty products?
Mac Russian Red and Mascara X those are the two favorites commercially that you can buy. The mascara has a football shaped brush that extends the lashes and separates them and if its large it will separate the small lashes really well.
beautyhigh.com

US Vogue June 1981

Current Sensations
Photo Arthur Elgort
Models Kelly Emberg & Jerry Hall
Hair John Sahag
Makeup Angelica Novaes & Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue January 1980

Photo John Stember
Model Nancy Donahue
Hair Suga
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue January 1980

Finds--Right-Now Winter Refreshers
Photo Oliviero Toscani
Models Lori Singer, Melanie Cain, Esmé Marshall, Lisa Vale, Jane Gill, Carol Alt & Mouchette Bell
Hair Suga & Didier Malige
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue January 1980

The New Beauty Confidence
Photo Andrea Blanch
Model Nancy Donahue
Hair Edwar Tricomi
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue February 1981

Beauty: The New Reality
Photo Denis Piel
Models Carey Lowell, Nancy Donahue, Kim Alexis & Carrie Nygren
Hair John Sahag
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue December 1978

People Are Talking About ... Black Models
Photo Andrea Blanch
Models Billie Blair, Renee King, Toukie Smith, Iman, Alva Chin, Dana Dixon & Peggy Dillard
Hair Harry King & John Sahag
Makeup Joey Mills, George Newell & Sandra Linter

Scans by kelles

US Vogue February 1982

The New York Collections: Style, U.S.A. Perry Ellis
Photo Bill King Model
Mariel Hemingway
Hair Howard Fugler
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue November 1976

What To Wear At Night...Depending
Photo Bob Richardson
Models Lisa Taylor, Patti Hansen, Chris O'Connor, Tony Spinelli & Unknown
Hair Harry King
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue November 1976

Vogue Patterns: Instant Refreshers to Sew Yourself
Photo Bob Richardson
Models Beverly Johnson & Karen Bjornson
Hair Howard Fugler
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue September 1975

Beauty Now / Beauty With a Conscience
Photo Arthur Elgort & Francesco Scavullo
Models Lisa Taylor, Rosie Vela, Beverly Johnson, Chris Royer, Melaine Cain & Unknown
Hair Harry King
Makeup Sandy Linter, Way Bandy & Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue August 1980

Fur Appeal!--a Special Report The New Fashion in Fur...
Photo Chris Von Wangenheim
Model Carol Alt
Hair Edward Tricomi
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue March 1979

The Beauty Idea: The Bath, the Exercise in a Working Day
Photo Deborah Turbeville
Models Eva Voorhees, Sunny Redmond & Unknowns
Hair Garren
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue November 1979

Your Skin... the Life-Style Factor
Photo John Stember
Model Nancy Donahue
Hair John Sahag
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue November 1979

Fragrance / Lingerie An Intimate Association
Photo Andrea Blanch
Models Jeff Aquilon, Michelle Stevens, Tony Spinelli & Unknowns
Hair Bob Fink
Makeup Joey Mills
Nails Conne Lee

My scans

US Vogue November 1979

Photo Stan Malinowski
Model Kim Alexis
Hair Sergio Valente
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue June 1980

This Minute Finds
Photo Patrick Demarchelier & Alberto Rizzo
Models Kelly Emberg, Terri May & Valerie Lohr
Hair Garren
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue August 1982

Photo Richard Avedon
Model Brooke Shields
Hair Suga
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue September 1981

Something New Is Happening To Suits
Photo Andrea Blanch
Models Rosemary McGrotha, Joan Severance, Andie Macdowell, Terri May, Donna Stia, Vanessa Angel & Brigitte Gauthier
Hair Howard Fugler
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue September 1981

Color The Fresh Approach
Photo Andrea Blanch & Irving Penn
Models Kim Alexis, Kelly LeBrock, Rosemary McGrotha, Thom Fleming & Barbara Neumann
Hair Howard Fugler, Garren, Harry King & Rick Gillette
Makeup Joey Mills, Sandy Linter & Rick Gillette

My scans

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->