John Galliano S/s 2005

the entire collection is now up at style.com...

PARIS, October 9, 2004

What was John Galliano thinking about as he conjured up his spring 2005 collection? Here's what: Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton, one of the most iconic society figures of twentieth century America, meets Sienna Miller, It girl Brit actress starring in the twenty-first century remake of sixties film Alfie. Where? At England's legendary Glastonbury Festival. What did they do? Rocked out, into the wee hours, to a soundtrack of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," "Good Vibrations," and "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

All over the place? Yes, but this is Galliano's modus operandi: to layer disparate reference upon disparate reference, then top off the lot with some very playful, inventive accessories. The strategy stretches right back to his time in London in the eighties, where strips of twig, smashed eyeglasses, and even some fish all turned up--memorably--on the runway. This time round, Galliano must have hit Toys "R" Us for the kids' balloons that trailed behind the models and the inflatable plastic pool toys that were worn as hats. Yet there were more "serious" accessories here, too: Bollywood-worthy fake-flower cuffs and necklaces; slouchy sequin knit hats, the likes of which you'd never have seen on any Seattle grungester in the nineties; and fur used for thong-tied flat boots?an unexpected, and highly effective, counterpoint to the more extravagantly glamorous evening looks.

What to wear to this strange, fabulous party? How about the Schiaparelli-esque gold lamé fitted jacket, with enormous folds of fabric dramatically draped onto the shoulder, or a gem-studded, tiny-waisted ombré chiffon ball dress (the Hutton influence)? Perhaps you'd prefer a shiny, swirling, hallucinogenic floral coat, or a lime-green ruffled dress with a psychedelic cartoon-print scarf trailing off the shoulders (for a Miller moment).

Either way, with all this going on, there's no need for Galliano's usual heavy, theatrical makeup. Just let your face go naked, let down your hair, and? party!

00010f.jpg
00030f.jpg

00070f.jpg
00080f.jpg

this is just an admirable retrospective collection i think
but the way he coloured his designs of the first 3 parts is not working for me....(but i love the golden ones and the crazy colourful balloon part )

:heart: i love PUPPY

:woot: I think it's an absolutely wonderful show and collection. I'm really loving it. The colors and details make me so happy, and the balloon animals give everything a fun and carefree air. :heart: :blush:

Galliano really loves the Galliano gazette, but surprisingly, not much here. He must have finished the roll I was talking about on his men's show before. :brows:
Nice collection he got here. I like it better than the Dior show, definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->