John Galliano To Start Men's Wear?

Leeroi

Reaction score
article

Women's Wear Daily might soon be considering a name change: just a week after news broke that French designer Roland Mouret will dress men from next year, the paper has confirmed that Italian fashion giant Ittierre will license John Galliano's first men's wear range.

While Galliano is responsible for the creative direction of French luxury fashion house Dior (in addition to his own label, John Galliano), this new line will be down-to-earth in comparison, with the designer eyeing a "contemporary-priced, 'urban casual' sportswear line."

Available from fall 2010, the collection will include outerwear, knits, shirts, jackets, jeans and accessories for "trendsetting, extravagant, adventurous" 18- to 35-year-olds, according to Ittierre.

Desires for more luxurious men's wear will well be catered for by Mouret, who is planning to sell suits priced from $1,600 to $3,800, starting next spring.

Why this sudden branching out into men's clothing? Simple: "There is a moment in my life that I didn't find at all what I really wanted to wear," Mouret was quoted as saying, even though he doesn't hide his priorities: "I don't want to do catwalk because as much as I like women on the catwalk, I don't like men," he said. "Women walk, men just don't get it."

Sorry if it has already been posted. But I thought he was already doing menswear, so I found the article to be rather peculiar.

Very weird ... like you, I thought he was already doing menswear?
So, what were all those shows were were watching? Was a mirage or déjà vu? :shock:

Very weird ... like you, I thought he was already doing menswear?
So, what were all those shows were were watching? Was a mirage or déjà vu? :shock:

I know! And everyday people were even seen wearing his clothes.:blink:

Maybe we're just being delusional. Haha.

he's basically going to be doing like what Marc Jacobs and Alexander McQueen do at Marc by Marc Jacobs and McQ
with what i have read

I don't get it either ...

But I guess the important word is "licence" there ...
Guess it will only have the John Galliano's name ... and nothing to do with him ...

Ohhhh, I just re-read it and I think it will be a diffusion line.... Oh geez.

Hummmm ... I don't know about that. I love Galliano, but somehow his things don't seem that exciting enough for me to want to buy into a lower line of his label. That's just me though ....

Hummmm ... I don't know about that. I love Galliano, but somehow his things don't seem that exciting enough for me to want to buy into a lower line of his label. That's just me though ....

Same here. Hiss mainline doesn't appeal to me since it's always too unwearable and are usually a mix of Commes des Garcons and Yohji with a hint of sex. So I can't imagine how worse it will be in a diffusion line.

I would have been interested with a Dior Homme diffusion line; if it was under Hedi still.

Same here. Hiss mainline doesn't appeal to me since it's always too unwearable and are usually a mix of Commes des Garcons and Yohji with a hint of sex. So I can't imagine how worse it will be in a diffusion line.

I would have been interested with a Dior Homme diffusion line; if it was under Hedi still.

I think his underwear line is the best bet as it seems to sell a lot especially to a particular demographic. I really am not sure if this will be a financial success? I could really be wrong, but I just don't see it. Is there a diffusion line for women? If there is, how is that doing?

I don't think Galliano ever had a diffusion line. Same for Dior. Although I'm pretty sure they've ventured on cheaper lines of products, but was still under the main line's name.

^i think Dior had some licences at a time.
i even wonder if Monsieur Christian Dior wasn't a licence at one moment.

Summary: Bankrupt luxury clothing maker Ittierre has signed a five-year deal to produce and distribute John Galliano's collections of men's wear, women's wear and leather goods. Read the complete article…

Word count: 163

Date: 28 July 2009

Source: just-style.com

FRIDAY, AUGUST 10, 2007
JOHN GALLIANO - Shirts: Fabric Content Labels
Galliano's men's line is not produced by Ittierre Spa. To the best of my knoledge it has only ever been made by Gibo' Co. Spa., who's tags usually look like the example on the right. Some of the auctions on eBay for fake men's Galliano clothing have pictures of Ittierre Spa. labels. Why? Ittierre does produce women's prêt-à-porter. You'd think the counterfeiters would at least try to get their labels correct. They probably just had a surplus of these fake Ittierre labels laying around the factory and decided to put them to good use.
fake hunter @ blogspot

uly 29, 2009

Ittierre Receives a Lifeline from John Galliano.

John Galliano

One of Italy's most renowned production and distribution companies, Ittierre SpA, was placed in administration earlier this year (2009) when it filed for the Italian equivalent of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in February after running out of cash. But the distribution company, known for operating under license of luxe labels like Just Cavalli, VJC Versace, Versace Sport, C'N'C' Costume National, has just been renewed by John Galliano to produce the designer's diffusion line of men's and women's wear for the next five years. The original deal was inked between Ittierre and Galliano in 2006; the new extension will begin with the fall 2009 collections and is due to run through the fall 2014-15 season.

The freshly confirmed agreement — which analysts say could bring yearly revenues of around $56.3 million at current exchange rates — is part of managing director Massimo Suppancig’s priorities to turn Ittierre around and shed the financial problems of its past. Up to this point, the company had been surviving off a $40.5 million line of credit secured by administrators Andrea Ciccoli, Stanislao Chimenti and Roberto Spada. The credit enabled the company to continue regular operations, and secured the Just Cavalli and C’N’C Costume National licenses. The VJC Versace license expired with the fall 2009 collection.

Now Ittierre has until August to present a restructuring plan for its South Italian-based company and its 1,000 employees. Although the distribution company may not be out of the woods yet with its financial troubles, the Galliano agreement does supply them with a platform to rebuild upon. The administrators claimed the agreement with John Galliano served as a testament to the company's “international stance and its operational capabilities.”

Article Source: WWD
Photo Source: vogue.com
-Alia Rajput

the "fake quote" is about the fact, Galliano was already under IT thingy in 2006 .........................

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, but I wonder why they never followed through with the diffusion line a few years back then? Mmmm....

Although I question Galliano's decision to do business with Ittierre when they're facing bankruptcy.

Oh, but I wonder why they never followed through with the diffusion line a few years back then? Mmmm....

Although I question Galliano's decision to do business with Ittierre when they're facing bankruptcy.

Maybe it's cheaper? I don't know how that works actually. Someone explain this. ^_^

someone should bring more details.
but a licence is when somebody sells his name to a bigger compagny (global economy, mondialisation) ...
I think Inès de la Fressange rescued from this ...
It was terrible for her (the french press still is talking abt it ... saw it mentionned in Point de Vue).

^They've been in deep debt for a while now, and especially since they're not doing any more business with Versace, so I think investors are hoping investing on Galliano's clothes will give them some type of revenue next year. Not sure if the business was cheap, but I'm pretty sure Galliano doesn't come cheap so this deal is a make or break it time for Ittierre. And then we have to consider that Galliano's clothes aren't exactly as wearable as Cavalli's or Versace, so it's a great deal for Galliano and a very daring deal for Ittierre. And the worse part is they're going to be stuck with Galliano's aesthetics for a long long time; here's to hoping Ittierre doesn't tell Galliano to start making cheap clothes that are poorly designers.

someone should bring more details.
but a licence is when somebody sells his name to a bigger compagny (global economy, mondialisation) ...
I think Inès de la Fressange rescued from this ...
It was terrible for her (the french press still is talking abt it ... saw it mentionned in Point de Vue).

I think licenses are usually deemed as bad business for designers and good business for investors because the creative director usually has no say on the actual designs and direction of a brand most of the time; thus making a brand cheap and uninspired most of the time. I think it's the same reason why Lacroix doesn't want to become a licensing brand.

^yes, and why houses like gucci -- when tom ford brought their grove back -- spent a lot of money buying those licenses back. however, i think it's a smart move for galliano since i don't believe his tenure at dior is secure. esp. given the latest 'dior homme' for women development....

^yes, and why houses like gucci -- when tom ford brought their grove back -- spent a lot of money buying those licenses back. however, i think it's a smart move for galliano since i don't believe his tenure at dior is secure. esp. given the latest 'dior homme' for women development....

Dior Homme isn't designed by Galliano so I think Galliano really has no concern whether that side of the brand fails or not. I just hope Galliano doesn't sell out his name for the sake of making quick money since that would be the most horrible thing he can do in the long run, especially with the fact that companies can decide on their own that you no longer should be designing under the name.

^galliano has no worries if dior homme for women fails. he has to worrry if it does well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->