John Galliano To Start Men's Wear?

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Leeroi, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

article

2. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Sorry if it has already been posted. But I thought he was already doing menswear, so I found the article to be rather peculiar.

3. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Very weird ... like you, I thought he was already doing menswear?
    So, what were all those shows were were watching? Was a mirage or déjà vu? :shock:

4. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

I know! And everyday people were even seen wearing his clothes.:blink:

Maybe we're just being delusional. Haha.

5. Chanelcouture09

Chanelcouture09 Some Like It Hot

he's basically going to be doing like what Marc Jacobs and Alexander McQueen do at Marc by Marc Jacobs and McQ
    with what i have read

6. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

I don't get it either ...

But I guess the important word is "licence" there ...
    Guess it will only have the John Galliano's name ... and nothing to do with him ...

7. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Ohhhh, I just re-read it and I think it will be a diffusion line.... Oh geez.

8. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Hummmm ... I don't know about that. I love Galliano, but somehow his things don't seem that exciting enough for me to want to buy into a lower line of his label. That's just me though ....

9. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Same here. Hiss mainline doesn't appeal to me since it's always too unwearable and are usually a mix of Commes des Garcons and Yohji with a hint of sex. So I can't imagine how worse it will be in a diffusion line.

I would have been interested with a Dior Homme diffusion line; if it was under Hedi still.

10. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

I think his underwear line is the best bet as it seems to sell a lot especially to a particular demographic. I really am not sure if this will be a financial success? I could really be wrong, but I just don't see it. Is there a diffusion line for women? If there is, how is that doing?

11. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

I don't think Galliano ever had a diffusion line. Same for Dior. Although I'm pretty sure they've ventured on cheaper lines of products, but was still under the main line's name.

12. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

^i think Dior had some licences at a time.
    i even wonder if Monsieur Christian Dior wasn't a licence at one moment.

fake hunter @ blogspot

the "fake quote" is about the fact, Galliano was already under IT thingy in 2006 .........................

#12 BerlinRocks, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Socrates: Dec 15, 2009
  13. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Oh, but I wonder why they never followed through with the diffusion line a few years back then? Mmmm....

Although I question Galliano's decision to do business with Ittierre when they're facing bankruptcy.

14. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Maybe it's cheaper? I don't know how that works actually. Someone explain this. ^_^

15. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

someone should bring more details.
    but a licence is when somebody sells his name to a bigger compagny (global economy, mondialisation) ...
    I think Inès de la Fressange rescued from this ...
    It was terrible for her (the french press still is talking abt it ... saw it mentionned in Point de Vue).

16. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

^They've been in deep debt for a while now, and especially since they're not doing any more business with Versace, so I think investors are hoping investing on Galliano's clothes will give them some type of revenue next year. Not sure if the business was cheap, but I'm pretty sure Galliano doesn't come cheap so this deal is a make or break it time for Ittierre. And then we have to consider that Galliano's clothes aren't exactly as wearable as Cavalli's or Versace, so it's a great deal for Galliano and a very daring deal for Ittierre. And the worse part is they're going to be stuck with Galliano's aesthetics for a long long time; here's to hoping Ittierre doesn't tell Galliano to start making cheap clothes that are poorly designers.

17. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

I think licenses are usually deemed as bad business for designers and good business for investors because the creative director usually has no say on the actual designs and direction of a brand most of the time; thus making a brand cheap and uninspired most of the time. I think it's the same reason why Lacroix doesn't want to become a licensing brand.

18. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

^yes, and why houses like gucci -- when tom ford brought their grove back -- spent a lot of money buying those licenses back. however, i think it's a smart move for galliano since i don't believe his tenure at dior is secure. esp. given the latest 'dior homme' for women development....

19. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Dior Homme isn't designed by Galliano so I think Galliano really has no concern whether that side of the brand fails or not. I just hope Galliano doesn't sell out his name for the sake of making quick money since that would be the most horrible thing he can do in the long run, especially with the fact that companies can decide on their own that you no longer should be designing under the name.

20. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

^galliano has no worries if dior homme for women fails. he has to worrry if it does well.