• Alexander McQueen

Votes: 149 65.6%
  • John Galliano

Votes: 78 34.4%
  • Alexander McQueen

Votes: 147 64.8%

• Total voters
i agree.
especially since McQueen is not alive, and John is in the middle of one of the biggest fashion scandals ever. have some respect!

So far, this thread is pretty respectful. A poll might seem overly light hearted in the light of what has occurred since the thread was started of course.

McQueen. I do like Galliano's work (for his own label), but I feel like he tries too hard. McQueen was over the top as well, but he was more effortless and natural. I got a sense that's just who he was. But Galliano is TRYING to be over the top and "edgy" and while it usually works it feels somewhat forced.

^^I agree. :smile:

My vote goes for John Galliano because I absolutely love how one can find drama and theatrical qualities but while being simple and natural in his work.

I think it's a valid argument. The 2 were both fantastical designers dabbling in many different creative and imaginative genres.

For me, McQueen all the way.

I voted for McQueen but that's because I prefer him... not because I think he is (was) better than Galliano in any way.
I personally think questions like that are not easy or possible to answer since everyone has their own point of view

This is such a stupid question/thread. You cannot compare the two. Their work is completely different, along with their point of view. I am more drawn to McQueen's work, but that does not mean he is any better than Galliano. If anything, Galliano's craftsmanship surpasses that of McQueen.

I don't think it's fair people all come to this thread saying it's a stupid question. This thread was started so long ago (2006) and I can imagine that at the time this seemed like a more reasonable question because I'm pretty sure the people replying now are biased because of the more recent happenings. Of course it would be stupid to compare those two now. You're not going to compare a designer who killed himself with one who just got fired for making anti-semitic remarks in public. But the point of this topic obviously was to compare two designers with a similar aesthetic and a similar propensity for drama and eccentricity.

I still voted for McQueen though. Not because I think he was better at what he did than Galliano but because he's always been one of my favorite designers while I only loved a few Galliano collections. :P

Yes they can be compared. They're both fantastic craftsmen, both have an eye for theatrics and I'd go far enough to say that they both aim for a similar client. In addition, they both find inspiration from the past, Galliano probably more so. Meanwhile McQueen's creations had more of an influential edge to them. It's not a stupid question. You may think it is, but that doesn't reduce the validity of the question.

Tough question.

My vote goes to Galliano. It's REALLY tough having to choose between these two. But I feel Galliano paved the way for theatricality becoming apart of fashion's identity in the 2000s. From there, as Galliano began to slow down with his collections- McQueen began to grow and sort of took that idea of theatricality, pushed it into obscurity, bizarre imagination, took ownership of it and bolted off!

But honestly, with what has happened towards the end of their careers- it's hard to say whether or not this is a fair poll (ideally, it'd be their best collections versing each other).

Either way, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Comparing apples to oranges, both necessary for good health and both perfect in their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->