Karen Walker

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by jules, May 31, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. jules

jules New Member

She is from New Zealand! She seems like a more well known designer in NZ and Australia. I was wondering if anyone else knew that much about her. I always like going into her store when I'm in Auckland :) The clothes in this collection look really nice!

from fashionNZ:
    "Karen Walker's new collection, 'Young, Willing and Eager', has just been released in New York and London and is due for Japanese, Australian and New Zealand release now.
    The Collection was shown in London with a presentation during London Fashion Week at one of Walker's London stockists, the super hip Hoxton Boutique.
    'Young, Willing and Eager' was inspired by 50's teen exploitation and juvenile delinquent films. Our heroine hits that moment in time where she's torn between being under the protective wing of home and the intoxication of independence and danger. She's open-eyed and optimistic and hasn't yet developed a sense of consequence, strutting around in a lemon tee with 'Young, Willing and Eager' emblazoned across her chest or a satin biker jacket with 'Lady Hell-Kats' across the back.
    The silhouette's all immaculate pinched in cutting, tailored jackets, coats, pencil skirts and trousers with sharp waists in classic suiting fighting it out with ready-to-rumble acid orange cheetah skin sweats, cleavage tops, over sized sweaters, tight jeans, leggings and biker jackets with oversized collars. Add to the mix froufrou prom dresses worn with leather biker jackets and you have the essence of our prom queen running with the tough crowd.
    Colours swing from acid yellow and orange to muted and dusty salmon and aqua all set against a predominantly black backdrop. Accessories include neon perspex teddy bears, hearts and skulls
    Yeda Yun, senior buyer at London's legendary Browns Focus, say of the collection "It was amazing to see the colours and prints used in such an adorable and edgy way; it's a clever collection and she's nailed what's going on in fashion right now. I left her presentation feeling upbeat and excited."
    In the last month Karen Walker has received great coverage in the hippest fashion media including a profile in i-D as one of their favourite London designers in their 'Capital Gold' story, a profile in 'Time Out London ' as one of their six favourite designers showing in London, page after page of editorial coverage in 'Sleaze Nation', 'Dazed and Confused' and 'The Face' and upcoming editorial coverage by Mario Testino in UK 'Vogue' and profiles in 'Nylon' and UK 'Elle'.
    One of New Zealand's most well known designers, Karen Walker designs cutting edge high end fashion. Her clothes sell in leading boutiques both locally and internationally.
    Karen Walker's passion has always been fashion. She first became involved in the fashion industry in 1988 straight out of school. From day one she was focused, keen and hard working, and in the last few years she feels she has achieved her school girl dreams. It was her first run way collection in winter 1998 at Hong Kong Fashion Week that put her on the international scene.
    Karen's favourite designers are Bathing Ape and Viktor & Rolf and she says that the greatest influence over her work is that she gets bored easily! Karen Walker designs for "anyone who wants to think for themselves and wear original product" and is best known for her womenswear - the tailored man style trousers and broken pearl print on dresses and T-Shirts. She has stockists now in New York, London, and Hong Kong and has just recently launched a menswear collection.
    Karen hopes to continue her growth into the USA, Europe and Asia, and launch her menswear line into the international market."
    www.karenwalker.com

I loooove the dress. And the skirt! :heart:

2. jules

jules New Member

Hey, here's another article! :)

from Lucire.com
    "YOUNG, WILLING AND EAGER, Karen Walker's latest collection, was showcased recently at London Fashion Week. Her collections are often very different from the previous season’s offerings.
    This season takes inspiration from the 1950s and the “no-good teenage juvenile deliquents” of the cinema with great effect.
    There's a touch of James Dean's character Jim Stark in Rebel Without A Cause. A person on the verge of adulthood with no real sense of whether they want the security of childhood—or instead the excitement of living beyond anything their parents have ever experienced.

Our young friend is one of the popular kids who isn't sure of herself. She wants to run with the tough crowd in her black satin bomber jacket embroidered on the back with 'Lady Hell-Kats', her turned-up trousers and T-shirt with a flame-streaked cat's head. One of those Hell-Kats on their way already. She might be wearing it with her good-little-girl heart print ruffle skirt, or maybe she's feeling more like a black and print mixed dress that looks so pretty. Perhaps her cheerleader letter sweater, pleat chiffon skirt and black jacket with the teddy bear motif might stand her in better stead to ask Mommy if she can stay out later tonight?
    Then she can sneakily change into her tight trousers, acid orange cheetah print top and cover it all with her retro plaid swing coat. Daddy won't suspect a thing unless he sees her accessories of hearts and skulls but a prominent placing of a neon perspex teddy bear will reassure him all is well with his little Prom Queen Princess. Until the cops come knocking in the small hours. Then all hell will break loose."

3. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

Thanks for the articles, Jules. :ninja: I've heard about her here and there and it always made me think of Karen from Will & Grace. :lol: I had never seen her work until now. I like it! I like how it contradicts itself, pretty and tough at the same time. Kind of like what Marc by Marc Jacobs wants to be. :innocent:

4. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

i love karen walker, thanks for sharing this jules :flower:
    she has been covered in nylon a few times, but their editorials and coverage dont even show her cool stuff :doh:

i like the photos you posted :heart: that is my style B)

and i really agree w/ you astrid on the marc comment!
    imo marc by marc jacobs needs a rehual, getting a bit stale :innocent:

5. jules

jules New Member

:) Lo, it's just what I pictured you wearing :heart:

6. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

I was thinking about you as I saw them! B) B) B)

7. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I love Karen Walker!!! she is so good Ive seen this article befor. its totallys tuff I would where if I was a girl.

8. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:woot: beautiful work, i love her style :heart:

i think this time her work will stick with her name , merciiii :flower:

9. Sonique

Sonique New Member

LOL I was certain this was a joke of some sorts. Karen's the best things about that show!!!

10. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

i also thought of will and grace. she has some great pieces.

11. charlottesometimes

charlottesometimes retro queen

She has been showing at Australian Fashion Week for a few years now. To be honest, I haven't really liked her work in the past, but I like what you have posted from her latest collection jules. :flower:

An article I found in purenz.com

Karen Walker is New Zealand’s best-known designer. Her first runway collection came in 1998 (Hong Kong Fashion Week), and was entitled ‘Daddy’s Gone Strange’. A mannish theme saw a reworking of traditional men’s business suits and the range was picked up by Barneys in New York. That purchase saw Walker’s name hit the headlines when Madonna bought and wore a pair of her ‘killer pants’ in which to perform at the 1998 MTV awards. Karen Walker was part of the New Zealand Four group show at London Fashion Week in 1999 and 2000, and in September 2000 became the first New Zealander to have a solo show at New York Fashion Week. The Karen Walker style is tailored, modern and androgynous - with an emphasis on cut. She often juxtaposes masculine and feminine; luxurious and ugly. Trademark accessories include overlong men’s ties and pearls. Marcus von Ackerman of Paris Vogue has said of her: ‘I greatly admired Karen Walker's refreshing, original collection. It managed to combine edgy, gothic, sartorial wit with pure modern elegance and, above all, it was impeccably finished. It was utterly divine’. Walker’s success is due not only to her design talent; she has marketed a package with an X factor, something she herself possesses; she is media-friendly, good-looking and has made some astute business decisions.

PS. I agree with the comment "She often juxtaposes masculine and feminine; luxurious and ugly". Which is probably why I haven't liked much of her work, personally I like fashion to be beautiful, never ugly. :blush:

12. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

kelly osbourne wore karen wlaker to teh mtv movie awards

13. agent v

agent v New Member

14. Feline

Feline rock-chic

What a brilliant collection :flower:

I will be looking out for her from now on :heart:

15. pfwoot

pfwoot New Member

Great stuff. I was just readig a bit about her last night in The Fader.
    I'm really liking the stuff that was posted. It looks great. :heart:

16. cutesuze2

cutesuze2 New Member

Oh, I love her look. I also love the skirt and dress!

17. jules

jules New Member

Here is a collection of hers from quite a long time ago--Spring 2001! :woot: :heart:

18. jules

jules New Member

here are some other pictures from the fall 2003 from another perspective!!
    I think I like the first photo shoot pictures better!

19. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

wow she is soo good!

20. pfwoot

pfwoot New Member

Isn't she!! :heart:
    I love the outfit w/ the jeans, pink shirts under light blue jacket w/ green tights. I would so wear that :bounce: