Karl Lagerfeld Dies in Paris, at 85

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by tatouejeremie, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

2. Creative

Creative Well-Known Member

Thanks for everything, my dear Karl. You've brought so much happiness into my life.

An era was dying and this is the final point. The world is a lot worse today. I'll miss you a lot.

3. Steddycam91

Steddycam91 Member

I can't stop thinking about how intense the Fendi and Chanel shows are going to be. Like, almost unbearably emotional.

I wonder if they're going to go with a full-on tribute, bringing back Claudia and Linda and all those girls...

ForTheImage, YohjiAddict and Caffeine like this.
  4. bonnevie

bonnevie Member

Fashion just lost one of it's last iconic figures. RIP

perfect blue and YohjiAddict like this.
  5. Cecilou

Cecilou Member

Absolutely a must-read! What I can read from all the tribute notes/anecdotes about him and his death (from celebrities to employees) makes sense with the portrait of KL wrote by Alicia Drake. Beyond the genius, Karl Lagerfeld spread the benevolence around him. I remember seeing him at Galignani (famous bookstore) one day. He went for his regular visit. I didn't want to disturb him (I was so intimidated anyway) so I acted like he wasn't there, but a woman visitor came to talk to him briefly (very nicely). He replied to her with politeness, while putting his hand on her arm like he knew her, then went back to his shopping. It wasn't the behavior I would expect from a "cold person" or a big-headed one ^_^ I really appreciated his attitude... and respected him even more after that!

Karl was the last Couturier of the golden era. Nowadays artistic directors are doing instagram scrolling for inspiration, struggling to deliver a proper collection and acting like king/queen within the house they work for...
    He was a visionary and will be missed.

6. zoom

zoom Well-Known Member

'It was late, late in the evening,
    The lovers they were gone;
    The clocks had ceased their chiming,
    And the deep river ran on.' - W.H. Auden

Goodbye Mr Lagerfeld. Parting is such sweet sorrow..

perfect blue and Not Plain Jane like this.
  7. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Regardless of your opinion on Karl (and I have never been his biggest fan in all honesty), you can't help but to admire that unrelenting work ethic, dedication to his craft. Something that ultimately made him more relevant than I imagine any other designer could ever be.

He represented a constant in the ridiculous, ever-changing whirlwind of fashion and to think he's gone really feels surreal. So many great creations for Chanel, Fendi and beyond, his imprint will always be on this industry. RIP.

8. dancorpse

dancorpse Active Member

All those great designers were passed by.... Now we have more businessmen than designers.

entten likes this.
  9. tctra

tctra Active Member

I'd thought he'd live forever

10. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

RIP to an icon. Chanel was one of the first brands that made me interested in fashion when I was younger. The grandeur of the shows, the beautifully styled shows, the top models walking...everything was a dream. And Karl was the mastermind behind that dream. I will miss him dearly.

11. lanvinray

lanvinray Well-Known Member

You will be missed Karl, RIP

12. AgrenateD

AgrenateD Active Member

What a great loss... I am having a hard time imagining a world of fashion where his larger-than-life persona doesn't exist. Some of my fondest memories of following fashion through the years were his shows; no matter how much I nitpicked or bemoaned some of his designs, I would still find myself looking forward to whatever dreamy spectacle him and his team conjured per season. I will miss his scathing comments, his unrelenting creativity, the dogged work ethic I very much admired.

i hope Choupette gets a sizable amount from his estate. Her diet of pâtés and deconstructed sandwiches needs to be continued.

Rest in peace Karl.

Nymphaea, Frida and Wintergreen like this.
  13. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

I'm in shock than he's left, so RIP of this legend. :cry:

14. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

vogue.com

sweetcaress likes this.
  15. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

vogue.com

16. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

Oh Karl, you'll be missed so so much.

It's funny how many people around me talk a lot about his work for Chanel and Fendi. I remembered the first time I saw the Karl Lagerfeld runway collections in 2006-2007. And I thought wow, this is very interesting. And after that I discover more about his works and was completely in awe of his talent and work. Even in the most boring Chanel show, he was able to produce some of the best work among his peers. And his work for Fendi has been astonishingly amazing. The accumulation of his work is tremendous treasure of creativity. The world has lost a genius, a couturier and a creative mind. May you rest in peace, kaiser.

17. cul8tr

cul8tr Active Member

Latest documentary about Chanel and Karl

sore and MagFan like this.
  18. perfect blue

perfect blue Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. One of the saddest things is knowing that someone with his work ethic and passion is gone now. I get the sense that a lot of designers are in the fashion world for the wrong reasons these days.

19. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

That ALT tribute really made me sad, especially knowing the two didn't speak since 2013. Must be bittersweet remembering their great times together.

20. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

They didn't speak? why?