Kidman's Good Deed

Label Basher

Reaction score
I thought this was so nice and had to share -

Nicole Kidman's Good Deed

Have the latest reports about celebrity bad behavior -- the cheaters, the rehabbers, the Tara Reids -- left you feeling a little more cynical than usual when it comes to the rich and famous? Take heart. Your faith may be about to get a bit of a boost, courtesy of Nicole Kidman.

Last week in New York, the Oscar winner twice visited with a cancer-stricken 6-year-old Australian boy named Dylan Hartung after reading about his condition in the paper.

"She said she was on her way to work and just happened to have the New York Post in front of her," Dylan's mom relates to -- big surprise -- the New York Post. "She said, 'I want to meet this kid.'"

The tough little guy, who has already undergone 11 rounds of chemotherapy, is battling a rare form of cancer called neuroblastoma and is currently receiving treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan.

On Wednesday, the Aussie actress, accompanied by daughter Bella, paid the tyke a bedside visit and ended up chatting about his favorite films, reports Australia's Herald Sun.

"Nicole asked him what movies he liked, and he said 'War of the Worlds,'" Mrs. Hartung tells the paper. "I was worried that Dylan had put his foot in it, but Nicole told him, 'Tom Cruise is Bella's dad.' Dylan was really impressed."

Dylan, however, admitted to Kidman that he would be even more impressed with a visit from another Oscar winner.

"He told Nicole that he had two wishes: to beat cancer and meet Angelina Jolie," explains his mother, who says the youngster calls the "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" siren the "ultimate chicky babe."

Now that is one smart kid.

Kidman, who was originally set to star opposite Brad Pitt in the hit married-assassins flick, agreed that Angie is "beautiful" and told him she'd see about arranging a meeting.

Before leaving, she promised Dylan she'd take him to the movies. True to her word, she did just that three days later.

Need definitive proof of Nicole's niceness? She accompanied Dylan to the schlock-fest that is "The Dukes of Hazzard" -- and sat through it with him.

But wait, there's more. Mrs. Hartung's writes on her Web site that the star also gave Dylan posters and hats from "War of the Worlds" signed by her ex-hubby, and introduced him to her son, Connor.

Dylan, in turn, presented Kidman with an autographed picture ("To Nicole, Love from Dylan") taken during their first meeting.

"I still can't get over how wonderful and down-to-earth Nicole is," enthuses Mrs. Hartung. "She ... kept thanking us for letting her meet Dylan."

Nicole's spokeswoman tells the Post that the actress enjoyed her time with Dylan, whose treatment is being subsidized by donations. "He is making progress, but still has a long way to go," added the rep. If you want to learn more about Dylan (and see snaps of him with Kidman), head over to http://www.caringbridge.org/me/dylanhartung/

----------

If you click the link the Nicole pics aren't there because their photobucket has ran out but there are pics of Dyan and he is so cute. I feel for him and his family. 6 years old and 11 rounds of chemotherapy, that just so unfair.

^ It is unfair. Poor little chap. I really hope he gets better. Good on Nicole for going out of her way to cheer him up. :heart: I like her much better now.

Wow.. heart of gold. She sat through Dukes of Hazzard?

(and I think thats a typo right? Nicole has not won 2 oscars)

She handled the "Cruise" situation SO good ... I'll have to admit that I've been holding a grudge on her for a while because of some interview, but she's winning me back :P

ultramarine said:
but she's winning me back :P

Me too! That's a very lovely thing to do... Now more respect to Nicole... We need more celebs like this and less who do sex tapes..... :innocent:

Kimkhuu said:
Me too! That's a very lovely thing to do... Now more respect to Nicole... We need more celebs like this and less who do sex tapes..... :innocent:
From your lips Kimkhuu!!!!

Well,she may not be a legend(as said,Lauren Bacall)but she's got the utmost of integrity. Going out of her way to personally visit him and not out of mere charity either....that's great.

:flower: What a lovely story, thankyou for posting it!

Awww, what Nicole did was lovely :flower: Kimkhuu's right, we need more celebs like her.

I remember watching the story of the family on a current affairs program, it was about them trying to raise the money to get to NY, damn near broke my heart. Funny how they didn't mention in the report that the surgery couldn't be done in Australia due to our bizarre stem-cell laws... :unsure:

I hope he recovers and is able to live a full life (with Angelina in his sights!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
How wonderful! Nicole is beautiful inside and outside, love having her as my avatar :heart:

For some reason Nicole's good deed impresses me much more than those UN Ambassadors do. True beauty inside and outside.

" I want to meet this kid" ??

i find it weird how they can pick and choose to do things when they feel like it...that didn't come out very well but i hope some people will get what i mean...

why couldn't this have been done in private? I mean i saw her on the cover of the paper and she was all dressed up...publicity people!

Angelina Jolie- the boy has good taste!
regarding the UN ambassador comment: she's a UN ambassador and i'm very impressed with her continuous efforts...

I don't know if I'd want to meet a perfect stranger movie star for no reason what so ever if I were a child. It's one thing if he was a fan... I think it's narrsissitc for stars to come in and think that their presence somehow makes a difference. It's one thing if she donated to a charity that helped fund research against this specific cancer, but there is no mention of money.

Well.. anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nymphfable
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->