Kim Clijsters retires from tennis

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
really sad to hear that it's happened so quickly. tennis and fans are losing a quality sportswoman.

Kim Calls It A Career

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, USA – One of the most popular players to have ever graced the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, Kim Clijsters, announced her retirement on Sunday, May 6, effective immediately. Clijsters' last match was a 76(3) 63 loss to the Ukraine's Julia Vakulenko in the opening round of the J&S Cup in Warsaw, Poland on May 3, 2007.
"I'm extremely proud of what I've achieved in my career," Clijsters said in a message to her fans. "If someone told me nine years ago I would have accomplished all that I did, I would have said you were joking. Tennis has been an amazing journey for me all over the world and I'm very happy to have met the people I did. That's always been the most important to me; forget the trophies and material things, friends are truly the most important. I couldn't have done all I did without the support of my family and coaches who worked with me, and to them I'm truly grateful. I am also thankful to all the encouragement from the fans over the years and the media's support in following my career.
"I couldn't have asked for a better farewell than I got in Antwerp; trying to play after that was proving more difficult. With injuries that wouldn't go away and life after tennis drawing nearer, it became harder to push myself to compete.
"Tennis-wise, winning the US Open and season-ending Championships twice were obvious high points. The matches that I'll never forget were the 1999 US Open match with Serena, when I was 5-3 up in the third. I had such goose bumps it was incredible. I remember playing Amélie in Filderstadt one year, coming from match point down to win, but the tennis we both played that day was amazing.
"I hope people won't be too sad now that I've decided to stop playing tennis. A new chapter in my life is about to begin and I hope I'll see everyone somewhere down the line. Remember, whatever you do, do it with a smile on your face."
-----
"Kim Clijsters will be remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the history of women's professional tennis," said Sony Ericsson WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott. "No player has been so unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike. She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to popularizing the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is well-known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour."
Long-time compatriot and rival, world No.1 Justine Henin said, "I have a lot of respect for what she did in her career, as a player and as a person. We've almost grown up together and I think we've helped each other to reach another level because we always pushed each other to play better. I think it's been a good concurrence for us. She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that. She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis for sure, and I think I will have great memories of her that I will keep. It's pretty emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger and we grew up together on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. It's a very special day today."
Close friend Amélie Mauresmo said, "I think she had been thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really convinced that it's the right decision for her. The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and all the players are going to miss her a lot, not only because of the player she was, but the joy she brought everywhere. I wish her the very best in her new life. Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best out in both of us."
Serena Williams reflected, "I wish Kim the best in her life after tennis. She was a great player, a great competitor and an even better person. We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room than anything else."
Click here to send your own personal tribute message to Kim.
Highlights and milestones that stand out in the Belgian's impressive career include:
- Nine seasons as a professional, winner of 34 career singles titles and 11 doubles titles and $14.5-million in career prize money.
- First Belgian, man or woman, to rank No.1 in the world.
- Made Grand Slam debut at 1999 Wimbledon as a qualifier, having just turned 16; won six matches, including a win over No.10 Coetzer, before falling to Graf.
- In 2001, upset world No.1 Hingis en route to the Indian Wells final, reached her first Grand Slam final in Paris before falling to Capriati 16 64 1210.
- Record-breaking season in 2003, becoming the first female athlete to pass $4-million in season earnings; on August 18, became only fifth player ever after Navratilova, Hingis, Sánchez-Vicario and Davenport to rank No.1 in singles and doubles simultaneously; reached 15 singles finals; won 90 singles matches and the first woman to play over 100 singles matches since Evert in 1974; defended season-ending Championships crown.
- Had one of the most impressive comebacks ever in 2005, having played only eight matches in the previous 12 months following left wrist surgery and with a ranking of No.133, won Indian Wells and Miami back-to-back to re-establish herself as one of the world's best players. Six months later won her first Grand Slam title and reached No.2 in the world.
- Only player to have defeated both Serena and Venus Williams while they held the world No.1 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour ranking.
- Renowned for her friendly demeanor, she received the Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship award from her peers an unprecedented six out of seven years.
- Recipient of Belgian Sportswoman of the year five times, most recently 2005; ITF World Champion in 2005; LTWA Ambassador to the Sport Award – presented in London 2005, Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player of the Year award in 2005.

*http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com

I'm bummed she was one of my favorite players, ah, well she's getting married, so I guess it makes sense.

Congratulations to her! She's an amazing player though...

I wish her the best! :flower:

congratulations to Kim :heart:

a fellow Belgian and birth-twin

Shame. For the past few years it has been the two Belgian women, Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne who have kept me interested in the women's game. Finesse players in the way Sharapova or Mauresmo or Williams could never be.

Shame, losing a quality player with great sportsmanship.
She should really have a few more slams under her belt, but she had a little problem crossing the finishing line sometimes. Regardless, i enjoyed watching her.

SiennaInLondon said:
Finesse players in the way Sharapova or Mauresmo or Williams could never be.

IMO Mauresmo does not belong on that list.. she has a lot more finesse than Shreikapova and Serena.

And maybe i'm in the minority but I'm glad Clijsters is retiring now as opposed to later this year.. she has had a very half-hearted goodbye tour, its best if she just leaves now instead of playing half-hearted tennis for the remainder of the year.

I wish her the best though. She is an amazing tennis player on and off the court.

I've always liked Kim, a great player with a real personality but congrats and good luck to her

It's a shame, but I bet she won't stay away from tennis for too long. She's a natural ambassador and a truly sweet person...

CharlottefromCA said:
IMO Mauresmo does not belong on that list.. she has a lot more finesse than Shreikapova and Serena.

And maybe i'm in the minority but I'm glad Clijsters is retiring now as opposed to later this year.. she has had a very half-hearted goodbye tour, its best if she just leaves now instead of playing half-hearted tennis for the remainder of the year.

I wish her the best though. She is an amazing tennis player on and off the court.

i agree with you on all points. i was just thinking some days ago how much her heart isn't even in it now. to be honest,she could have just announced her immediate retirement on home soil at the Antwep tourney when Mauresmo beat her in a great final....would have been befitting since that was the last time she really competed and fought in vintage Clijsters fashion.

and btw,i do not see how anybody can say Mauresmo has a lack of finesse. she's as brilliant Henin in any respect when she's in form. and speaking of MoMo,i think she will take Clijsters' place on the nicest person on the Tour. not surprising those two were great friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->