Kitchen Walls

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
we recetly had our kitchen walls painted and decided to settle for a light shade of grey that complemented the floor tiles. To our shock the combination the painter came up with was a dark shade of grey that borders on the dead or the depressed!!
Not only does it make the kitched appear alot smaller but it also appears way too dark
What do you think could bring this kitchen back to life?

HELP

Either repainting it, or, if you don't want to go through that again, perhaps some bright draperies and accessories. White, red, or aqua?

I would say re-paint or add lots of white accents...such as molding, curtains, cabinets etc...to brighten it up!

So was it the painters fault? Sounds like he came up with the darker shade?

My last apartment was entirely grey when I moved in. It went from light to dark as you worked your way through (including the ceiling). It was AWFUL!!! I couldn't afford to repaint the entire place at the time so I ended up choosing really bright, saturated colours and highlighted single walls in each room. One was bright yellow, another tomato red, and the kitchen a rich turqoise. It ended up brightening up the place a lot. I liked the contrast so much that I never had to bother finishing the other walls.
If all else fails, repaint the whole room.

LOL We are doing the exact oppisite. Our kitchen is way too white so we are changing it to cherry wood! (Mind you the entire house is soooooooooooooooo white)

My suggestion, try to paint it with primer and start over with another shade. I like the shade of the forumwhen replying to a topic.

Paint over my friend, may as well do it properly rather than patch up a mistake.

i was just thinking...

mmm, dark grey, aqua, and dark glossy stained wood...black & white calf hair chairs...:o :heart:

I had a nice idea (or may be it just seems nice to me). What if you buy a paint with a special set of paint brushes that make different patterns on your wall. I saw something like that on tv, but dont remember that name... Like for example you chose a wood-pattern and make stripes on your wall from the ceiling to the floor. May be mix light-grey with white and your kitchen may become brighter. :flower:

when i moved into my boyfriends apartment it was all gray and he didnt want met to paint it over. I bought a lot of colorfull stationary and i bought this HUGE Andy Warhol painting that covers almost the whole wall. So try a big colorfull painting that covers a lot of the wall. :flower:

If you decide to touch up the walls, why dont you get a shade or two lighter to that grey you have, add a "sponge" or some texture technique, so it cuts the work in half, and you will have a very interesting look... or, I would just leave it like that, and add red accents on the kitchen, I.E. the pot standing on the stove, plates and stuff on the table, towels and stuff, that will bring out the greys on the kitchen :heart:

lalala...i am about to make one wall of my kitchen grey...

since i live in a loft...
i am trying to make the place feel a bit warmer...
so i think it will be ok if i keep all the other walls and ceiling white...
*the kitchen is all the way at the back of the loft...
plus i have high ceilings which should help keep it from looking too small or dark...

wish me luck...

:lol:...

so- the wall is now grey and grey is good

:alien:..

hurrah :clap:

Could not do gray in mine... too small. Our kitchen walls are a rag-on faux finish. The bottom layer is a cream while the top is a yellow ochre/apricot. Very cool and performed by the oh-so-talented beau :heart: He calls it french country! A picture would probably help. Later....

BTW - the walls are the best part at the moment :lol: We're planning a face lift :wink:

^ So soothing! That's gorgeous... not to mention I'd love the view :P

And I still owe a pic I see :innocent:

Cremes, Whites and Light colours are always the safest options IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->