Kitchens

maarit

paint it black
Reaction score
The ultimate desire, though - a bulthaup kitchen!
(somebody's making a list, right? :blush: )

What's everyones opinion on this Arclinea kitchen?
And who makes the lamp? It would be perfect.

convivium.jpg

Originally posted by maarit
@Nov 18 2004, 12:30 PMWhat's everyones opinion on this Arclinea kitchen?
And who makes the lamp? It would be perfect.

[snapback]437330[/snapback]​
are you kidding me? what's not to like?

I'm not sure who makes this lamp, but here is something similar from Moss. Moss BTW is a cult interior design shop. If you are ever in NYC, it's a must visit.

Lamp

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by faust@Nov 18 2004, 12:35 PM
are you kidding me? what's not to like?

I'm not sure who makes this lamp, but here is something similar from Moss. Moss BTW is a cult interior design shop. If you are even in NYC, it's a must visit.

Lamp
[snapback]437336[/snapback]​

I figured. That kitchen is so lovely!

Thanks faust, that's quite similar and cheaper than Flos light fixtures. I saw something along those lines at a shop for $60 :woot:
But I love those christmas lights in the Arclinea one..
I'll keep Moss in mind.

i,ve just moved on to my own appartment which i share with my best friend INTER (also tfs member) and we have been taking pics of the flat this weekend...

just felt like sharing a few we took in the kitchen after buying the small lcd tv screen for the kitchen and such.

ciao,Sonny xxx

2006-08-27001.jpg

2006-08-27003.jpg

2006-08-27005.jpg

2006-08-27007.jpg

ciao! Sonny xxx

Great kitchen! Love it, very retro but modern.

oh,thanks a lot for all those nice comments on my kitchen.. btw, the glass of the table wasnt painted by me or anything. i bought it in Ikea and i was surprised it looked that nice. the word "love" in several languages is written all over it.

time for pics of our bathroom now. it is a very small place but INTER n I sort of designed what we wanted it 2 look like. not that we built it or anything but the design of it was certainly ours. i hope you like it too.

thanks again for nice comments! ciao! Sonny xxx

2006-08-27008.jpg

2006-08-27009-1.jpg

2006-08-27012.jpg

2006-08-27014.jpg

2006-08-27015.jpg

Sonny, like I said I love what we can see of your kitchen (p. 23), and the bathroom doesn't look too shabby either... :wink: :flower:

I'm in the process of renovating my hall and kitchenette. The kitchenette is a very small space, only 1,31 x 1,47 m, with no window or anything. I'm trying to create a sleek, minimalistic, elegant look, which is really a challenge when you have a space the size of a closet... :P

I'm thinking black stone/tile floor, hand-made smoky grey tiles with shiny, cracked glazing on the walls and smooth (light) oak or high-gloss black cabinets (maybe dark red), and a stainless steel, glass, marble or concrete countertop. I really don't know... All I know is that I'm tearing out the old stuff very soon, and I need to replace it! :lol:

I've found the perfect fridge, to be integrated under the countertop, and a gas hob that can be placed above it. I would've preferred one with a lower/sleeker profile, but there really is no other space to put the hob than above the fridge if I also want a sink... :unsure:

Basically, I want a fairly dark and somber kitchenette... Do you think it's doable in such a small space? I guess the lighting will make or break such a dark interior in such a small space?

Do I sound crazy? Any tips and ideas for my cramped space are welcome! :flower:

Pics www.smeg.com

Attachments

• fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 699
  • hob.jpg
    hob.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 696
Hmm one thing that I've been told is NEVER use marble for a kitchen benchtop or floor as it stains easily. If you spill red wine on marble its ruined forever.

I like the sound of concrete countertop but I heard it stains easily well maybe not as bad as marble. But the whole dark/concrete look would look great in your kitchen. I think its a myth if you have dark colours in a room it looks smaller just don't overdo it with pattern and texture.

Do you have pics of the tile or your old kitchen?

yes tott! concrete looks fabulous. :heart:
we looked into it but decided against in the end as none of the colours available matched up w/our units.
*o & like lemeray said marble stains so so easily. stainless steel is a b*tch to keep looking good. fingerprints galore . . .
a deep rich wine shade almost blackish red you know? . . in gloss cabinets would look fantastic
& look into porcelain floor tiles . . they are lovely. ;]

Thanks for your thoughts! :flower:

I actually had a grey carrara marble floor in my old apartment, and I never had a problem with stains... But this was very highly polished, so it was also very slippery, practically lethal to walk on... :P Maybe concrete can't really be that highly polished, and therefore is pretty vulnerable...? I have so much to learn here!

I'm not too worried about fingerprints on s/s, though I know it's hell keeping it pristine... i_<3_chanel, a dark, dark red sounds like a very good idea for the cabinets...! :heart: Porcelain floor tiles sounds lovely, I will have to look into that... Would you happen to have a link?

I'm too embarrassed to post a pic of the current state of my kitchenette, it's really in a horrible condition... It's practically original, and poorly refreshed during the years, from 1929; it still has the original gas stove...

I will take pics and post a before/after once I'm done though! :lol:

Attaching a pic of the wall tile I'm thinking of, with flash so you see the surface; the colour is deeper in real life. I want grey, but this is green since this is half of a tile I swiped from my brother when he did his kitchen...

Attachments

• Flash.jpg
    Flash.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 3
^ tott!!! :woot: An original 1929 gas stove??? My house was built in 1927 and I have a new electric stove ... I have both gas and electricity tho', and I want to go back with an antique stove. Irony :rolleyes:

But anyway, yes, I do think you're nuts to think of putting black in a tiny windowless space. The stainless steel is reflective (or can be), so that's good ... I would be thinking of mirror in there myself if it's so tiny :lol: (though I don't get the measurements as I never learned metric, just taking your word on the size ...)

^ Yes, well... The stove isn't in such great condition, and it's a really small space: roughly 4,8 x 4,3 feet... There's no room for a fridge anywhere unless you skip the oven. It wasn't built to fit a fridge, fridges didn't become standard kitchen equipment until the 30's...

This is really a challenge!

as long as you don't mind the small size i think dark colours are fine
w/the right lighting it's really not a problem . .
i'm imagining a sort of pod type space w/shiny shiny units, sleek lines . . .
yes tott, marble floors are usually fine but it is very porous & i wouldn't recommend it at all . . any spices/red wine & it could be dodgy . .
another option is silestone . .
but about the concrete it can be polished to the extreme . .
the other good thing is that you can get it stained any colour you choose & it's then sealed . . not all companies offer this though (colour choice!)
i fell in love w/the concrete worktops i saw . . but the price tag for the size of our kitchen was astronomical compared to other options plus the colours weren't right!
if your kitchen is small i'd go for it! very unique & stunning imo.
google it for tons of info!
*porcelain tiles . . http://www.porcelain-tiles.co.uk/indexA.htm . . it's just to give you an idea of wht you can find!

Thanks chanel! :flower: Like you said, I have a vision of "a sort of pod type space w/shiny shiny units, sleek lines"...

And ta-ta, I know it's a common rule to not use dark colours in small spaces... But I really like the idea, and I'm very set on it... I will ask the designer at the shop for advice though, especially about lighting because I'll admit I'm useless when it comes to that...

Oh well, who knows? The easiest (and cheapest!) solution would be to just buy an all-in-one, compact kitchen and plug it in, but how much fun is that...?

I think if your really set on a dark, go for it. I know many people would generally be against it as it may seem "depressing or too small" but it would look great!

Do you remember Alexandre Petrovsky's kitchen in Sex & The City, but it was a big kitchen and also black. But it looked beautiful.

You can also do concrete flooring but I think it's quite a hassle to install in a kitchen, if you want to match that whole concrete/dark look.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f81/kitchens-78847.html

Get some inspiration for your kitchen in here:

http://www.bulthaup.com/

and don't fear the black, a glamourouse space is made with black, beige and white. Black, or dark wood, mixed with steel or aluminios made a gourgeous kitchen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->