Diesel

for menswear

A.P.C.
Helmut Lang
Sonia Rykiel
Junya Watanabe (women's too!)
Viktor and Rolf
Martin Margiela

DIOR HOMME, for it´s impeccable tailoring.

ROCHAS, the fabrics alone are very precious, and the designs are timeless, yet far from being boring or too classic.

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER, especially leathers and jackets, they hold up so well and the leathers are butter soft, very fine and nicely textured.

KOSTAS MURKUDIS, because all of his clothes are so very insistantly detailed, well produced and pure.

ACNE JEANS, because the pricepoint is very good for what it is, high-quality jerseys and great jeans for a price much lower than any designer denim.

YOHJI YAMAMOTO, his (womenswear-)designs are very timelessly elegant, yet avantgarde and super durable... they´ll be modern even in 20 years time!

CHANEL and HERMES, for the special service they offer you to keep up the good quality of your goods... now, that´s what I call a service!

SCHIESSER underwear and jerseys, because they guarantee you that their jerseys will stay in the same state as when acquired for two years!

LV & Prada worth every penny??? I must disagree.

I love BOTH brands, don't get me wrong, but when I came home with my Bastille bag after dropping $1000, as much as I love the bag, I certainly didn't say "WOW! I can't believe this canvas and cotton bag was only $1000!"

It is worth it to me because I like the styling and the quality is nice, but I certainly don't think that it has much value-for-money or "worth every penny." I think it could have been priced about half that and still been a nice bag.

Same with Prada. A $490 pair of men's leather dress shoes that have corrected grain leather (a type of plasticky looking leather more common with shoes costing $90 or less) certainly doesn't strike me as worth every penny.

Again, I love both brands and have paid for them, but I've looked at it more like a sacrifice in the name of a style or aesthetic that I like than in the name of great quality or value for money. And, after all, the initial question of the thread was which brands were "worth our $$$."

On the other hand, the items I've gotten from Jil Sander (especially the "tailor made" line when she was at the helm), Dries van Noten, Yohji (in Japan... his prices in the US seem inflated to the point of insanity), and Raf seemed much more in line with their prices. They seem worth the price and a good value for their cost.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Yohji Yamamoto/Y's (for men's and women's) - I'm convinced Yohji's clothes are of the best quality in fashion period, outside of haute couture. In the U.S. the clothes are insanely expensive but in Asia at least they're a bit more reasonable. As much as I go on about him, it's because I really think this is the epitome of the standards designer clothing should be held up to.

Raf Simons - Solid knitwear, probably my favorite part of the brand. I'm not so keen on the tailored pieces, tried on a suit and the cut felt kind of off.

Dries van Noten - Not really my style, but I admire how the prices have been kept reasonable without a compromise in quality.

Ann Demeulemeester - Again, not my style, but the clothes seem exquisitely made. Designer clothing that looks and feels like designer clothing seems to be becoming increasingly rare these days.

i must say that every brand has made something NOT worth my money, but overall i like brands that favour quality and minimalism. :flower:

charlottesometimes said:
Thanks Spacemiu :heart:

I agree, it is absurd, $359.99 at General Pants, the only place in Australia that stocks them. Paper, Denim Cloth are over $400!

The other option is US Ebay but it's a bit of a lucky dip.

The next time I visit the US, I'm stocking up!!

Oh my gosh! Here in the US we have a discount store called TJ Maxx, and I always see Paper Denim Cloth jeans for only $40.

^Maybe that was Australian dollars, which would make more sense.

off the top of my head: helmut lang
other designers have only one or two pieces that are truly worth their money, but helmut lang comes on top because most of his stuff fits great and looks great for the price. dior homme comes in a close second but some of his stuff is just way too expensive.

Dior Homme - Not sure about S/S 2006 though...

Ann Demeulemeester - I plan to buy a lot from her the upcoming season

Comme des Garcons - Love their aesthetics... and the way they put things together

Acne Jeans - Because they make the best jeans .. and some of their clothes are very nice too

Cloak - I love their beautifully made jackets...

Raf Simons - Maybe... i have never seen Raf Simons pieces in person.. but there's a boutique here where i live, which has bought Raf Simons for S/S 2006.. i may look into that..

Number (N)ine - don't know about S/S 2006 either.. too much of that Axel Rose going on... but the previous seasons were definitely worth investing my money in.

Other labels - I could definitely see myself investing in Lad Musician and Undercover... if i had the chance to visit a boutique, which carries those two labels.

Last edited by a moderator:
dior homme, totally my style, i love hedi's collections and although some pieces are to expensive for me personnally it's worth the money

cloak, because i think that in 10 years i'd still wear a coat by cloak, for me timeless stuff

ann demeulemeester, as mentioned before ann is great with leather

i see a few comments on seven jeans i just can't stop thinking how??? seven is overpriced and crap quality in my opinion, a few celebrity's wear it and then the prices are multiplied by a factor 10 and it's so not worth it, but that of course is my opinion

levi's vintage is great quality for denim and timeless pieces that will last forever !

Baizilla said:
Dior Homme - Not sure about S/S 2006 though...

Ann Demeulemeester - I plan to buy a lot from her the upcoming season

Comme des Garcons - Love their aesthetics... and the way they put things together

Acne Jeans - Because they make the best jeans .. and some of their clothes are very nice too

Cloak - I love their beautifully made jackets...

Raf Simons - Maybe... i have never seen Raf Simons pieces in person.. but there's a boutique here where i live, which has bought Raf Simons for S/S 2006.. i may look into that..

Number (N)ine - don't know about S/S 2006 either.. too much of that Axel Rose going on... but the previous seasons were definitely worth investing my money in.

Other labels - I could definitely see myself investing in Lad Musician and Undercover... if i had the chance to visit a boutique, which carries those two labels.

AMEN, MR. BAIZILLA!

Hermes - The time and workmanship which goes into the products is amazing...^_^
Chanel - They make classic and durable products, which are still edgy, and are a very elegant brand which I love...:heart:
Chloe - The quality may not be outstanding, but the incredible designs more than make up for it...:wink:
Proenza Schouler - I like how they mix classic materials with modern design to make themselves unique...:D
Goyard - These products are the same as Hermes, they are fantastically durable, and handpainted and come in a multitude of colours, as well as providing a brilliant special orders service...:wub:

airboyair said:
AMEN, MR. BAIZILLA!

A lot of those brands... i can't even get them here in Denmark... :lol:

I'm so jealous of some of you, who live in NYC... you can just head down to the DH boutique or Atelier.. or even Number (N)ine ... ^_^

Valextra, Goyard, Hermes: Absolutely astounding leather goods/luggage.

Jil Sander: First class ready-to-wear in general, particularly when Sander was at the realm herself.

Dior Homme: Some of the best tailoring in fashion's ready-to-wear. Other items are mostly overpriced for what it's worth, however. (Though moreso in current collections than those of the past).

A.P.C.: Quality basics, it's a shame they've been raising the prices on their selvage raw denim jeans due to popularity.

Chanel*: There's only 1 Chanel, it's the ultimate ladies brand, it is elegance and i like everything across the board from HC down to their costume jewellery as the quality is fantastic.

Issey Miyake Pleats Please: If i were a girl i'd buy all the dresses. In fact, if i can find it in my conscience i'd buy a dress just to display at home one day.

Yves Saint Laurent/Saint Laurent Rive Gauche: As above in regards to collecting. I wouldn't mind paying for vintage pieces from who i regard to be one of the most influential men in fashion, ever.

Clements Ribeiro: Kitsch cashmere that isn't as expensive as Lucien Pellat-Finet's!

I'm going to have to disagree with Maison Martin Margiela, i love the clothing and buy a fair amount, but mostly on sale as although of a fairly high quality, i think it's rather overpriced at retail.

Though i will agree with Junya Watanabe Comme des Garcons for the ladies, it's the stuff of a genius.

*Obviously i don't wear Chanel myself, but for the other half. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k3lse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->