Lanvin parts ways with Olivier Lapidus

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by dodencebt, Mar 22, 2018.

1. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

As if we didn't see this one coming :rolleyes:

wwd.com

2. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Active Member

Olivier "the fast one" Lapidus! :greengrin: Like the replacement car your insurance company lends you, until yours is ready again.

#2 jeanclaude, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited by moderator obese: Mar 22, 2018
    Fashionstuff likes this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Well, I for one am surprised and somewhat sorry they disposed of him so swiftly! I'm sure it was a great learning curve for him, and hopefully his own brand will benefit some hype from this short stint.

I doubt this new CEO will pander to Madame Wang's whims, I don't see this partnership lasting very long. Chinese oil and Taiwanese water don't mix all that well. They'll both agree that the brand need more of a presence in Asia, I'm sure.

#3 Benn98, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Mar 22, 2018
  4. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

On one hand, THANK GOD. On the other hand, and I said this when Bouchra was fired, who on earth would want this job now?

5. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

This news makes my day. I think the with Fosun's management, it might increase some confidence for his replacement. Lanvin has potential. And if the reinvention of Gucci can tell something, they might want to turn this house up side down and position it a pure luxury player.

6. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

As much as i would want a new name to revamp the brand, they need a star right now.
    Lanvin has lot a lot of it luster in a short amount of time.

I would hire Frida Giannini. It's odd but i think that she could at least make people interested in Lanvin again and it could be a perfect way for her to reivent herself without having to deal with the weight of the previous designer.

I loved what Rodolfo Paglialunga did for Vionnet and he wasn't the best fit for Jil Sander. I would consider him also. Plus, he can do menswear and Lanvin menswear also need a reboot (as much as i like Lucas).

Peter Copping and even Guillaume Henry could work for Lanvin. What Henry did for Nina Ricci was confused but his work for Carven was great. Peter Copping's ladylike aesthetic is perfect for Lanvin even if he needs a little bit more edge.

They needs someone with a real distinctive aesthetic first. A strong vision will be reflected in sales.

7. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

^ I feel like Frida's taste would be too Italian. I want her hired somewhere though. So many good designers out of work.

Hire Sophia K.! Where is she anyway?

8. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

Peter Copping with a help from edgier menswear would be great for the house. I love his aesthetic but if it needs to compete in the market, it needs to have some edges. Thought Lanvin menswear is doing very well, I think Lucas deserves to move on to bigger houses. He would be great at LV.

9. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

I really have no idea what to expect cause I have no idea what direction the new owners want to take. I can only hope for the best, it can't get worse that what it is (I think :ninja:)

10. RedSmokeRise

RedSmokeRise Active Member

LOLOLOLOL. If Lucas is smart he'd abandon ship given the way Lanvin is going...

Fashionstuff likes this.
  11. Scouting Snapper

Scouting Snapper Active Member

wow big surprise ...:rolleye:

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

My dream choice would be Theyskens. I think it's time for him to step into the spotlight again. Lanvin just need a strong, defined vision with cutting-edge designs to make it more relevant.
    The stakes are high either way if it's a relatively new designer. Going youth and hyped will mean sleepless nights fretting over Gucci and Balenciaga....thats not even factoring in Burberry and Céline. And an understated approach will be pitted against Clare and Natacha.

Good luck!

13. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

You know what, looking back at his work for Rochas, he could have been the perfect person for it. His Rochas days were for me his best work ever. I didn't really liked what he did for Ricci because it was so heavy handed and moody (not in the best way) even if it worked as a show.

But i really don't think that today his work will be relevant unless he reinvent totally himself like Galliano.

I think the weight of his glorious past and the pressure of not having being a successful designer at 2 parisian houses are against him. And above all, i don't want him to compromise again. He can do wonderful clothes but that's not enough.

I hope they will go for modern glamour. I think this is the best way to stand out today. And as you mentionned Olivier, i'm thinking why not Giles Deacon?

Anyway, the biggest challenge will be for the new owners to let the designer have a total creative control.

It's interesting that no one of us is mentionning a young, english designer.

14. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

Good riddance! I'm interested to see who will take his place though because with all these unexpected designer swaps, who knows who it could be.

15. Pricciao

Pricciao Active Member

Ya know. There's enough Chinese designers queing up out there. I wouldn't be surprised there'll be some hype going on next couple of months.

Fashionstuff likes this.
  16. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Is Madame Wang so bad? Why everyone fear her?

17. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

Throw all of the money at Pilati (actually don't think he'd ever come back to the circus).

18. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

I don't care who it, as long as they have a strong point of view and an original vision. I think that Roskanda would do wonders at Lanvin. She has an eye for color, and she does volumes like no one else. Her clothes are feminine and pretty, but not boring or precious. I would love to see what she could do on a larger scale.

19. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

Yes.

20. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

That would be a dream come true. We need him.