Large Hoop Earrings

I don't like the super-huge earrings that you could toss a baseball through. I find those to be too tacky. However smaller hoops are cool with embellishments-I bought three pairs of hoops with sequins and what not yesterday.

i like them. i wish i could pull them off but i can't. it makes me sad because i would love to own a huge collection of plastic colored ones.

I can't really wear hoops above an inch or so in diameter. I think I must have funny ears as bigger hoops tend to stick out sideways on me, so I end up looking a bit like Michael Stipe (of REM) when he wears those ear-piece thingies at gigs! :cry:

It's not fair, because I really like hoops on other people.

I love hoop earrings. I have several pairs in gold and silver. I like them because they match many types of outfits.

is there a way of preventing the earholes/pierce (?) from getting big?
(because of heavy earrings)
know what i mean?

Vanilla_Lush said:
is there a way of preventing the earholes/pierce (?) from getting big?
(because of heavy earrings)
know what i mean?

I know what you mean. Sometimes I get scared of my holes getting streched out and too big so I try not to wear earrings al the time. Especially the heavier ones. Just try to stick with light earrings.

i love huge gold color hoops but they have to be thin and not real gold otherwise it looks way too much like a pikey - something nobody wants to do. I like the cheap imitation gold earrings as i change my earrings way too much to have every pair in real metals!

as to the pulling of the holes - i have 4 holes in each ear so i just move then between holes. Alternating so to speak! Ive got two holes at the bottom really close to each other just for occasions like this! Other wise just buy lighter ones - the hollow ones are best in my opinion

I love them !! I'm searching a especial ones for me but i think i'll never find it :(

Hoops are classic. I love it when they look a bit trashy but you wear them with a really elegant outfit. That juxtaposition is great. I totally need to get a new pair as the pair i have now are about 5 years old and were cheap to begin with. But I always pull hoops out time and time again.

when i was a child hoops were really popular with scallys .. big thin chunky gold ones then they gradually got thinner .. and since then ive never been to get other the fact that hoops are nasty and trashy . i know thats not the case but i guess im just sterotypicalising (is that even a word??)

it was the fashion among scally girls to have their hair pulled back practically paralysing their forhead... then they had the biggest hoops they could find .. sometimes upto 4 hoops per ear... some girls even had ones bigger then there face. you could even see some girls ears drouping under the weight of the gold.

also the smaller ones just remind me of what alot of scally guys wore in the 90's :sick:

also when i was a baby lots of my friends and mums friends kids etc. would get there ears pierced as a baby ... it was a trend to put hoops in babies ears. I guess i always acosiate (sp?) hoops with babies ears being pierced which is something i really really dont like .. its cruel.

also as strawberry said .. coming from an area which is full of irish imigrants and has a big irish comunity hoops are asosiated with travelers .. who dont have a very nice reputation... (no offence)

i guess im being prejudice .. but i have stigmas towards hoops which i guess i wont get rid of easily... and for that reason i dont like them.

haha thats weird tiamaria because it had the opposite effect on me :lol: yes hoops are associated with sort of 'ghetto' culture but oddly I found that really attractive about them. But I agree, I don't like small hoops.

I really hate them. Whenever I see large hoop earings, it reminds me of the Abercrombie girls and ghetto girls.

this look is only "ghetto" if worn by someone "ghetto" or with a "ghetto" ensemble, for me i like the fact that it is associated with "ethnic" style since i am "ethnic" ( black ) myself, but i do see how the look can go horribly wrong which is why i make certain my overall look is elegant not "ghetto" or even "ghetto fab" or "bourghetto" ( kimora lee simmons anyone ), plus there are modern takes on this style, like i have a pair with ostrich feathers dangling through the center which makes it kinda rock n' roll kinda haute couture, i do realize this style isnt for everyone but i think sometimes people throw around "ghetto" too loosely without trying to imagine things in a fresh way

I agree that they can be worn in a fresh and interesting way, but it's just that most people I see can't do that. But the way you seem to describe your looks really seems interesting, so I guess anything can be pulled off by the right people. =]

J'aime_la_mode said:
Why can't roud-faced people pull them off?

Because it supposedly emphasizes the roundness of the face.

I used to wear silver 3" ones a lot until everyone started wearing them too. Now they are hibernating in my accessories box. I do like the idea of smaller but thicker ones, around 1". I also like those studded with crystals for evening.

I have some gold jewellery (mostly gifts) but they too are hibernating (for a looooooong time). Gold just doesn't suit my pale skin tone. I think they're great for those with tans / darker complexions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"