Larry King To End Talk Show This Fall

NakedIfIWantTo

on the come up
Reaction score
By BRIAN STELTER
The CNN host Larry King said Tuesday evening that he would end his iconic talk show, “Larry King Live,” sometime this fall.

Mr. King, who has been beset by falling ratings, wrote in a blog post on CNN.com, “I talked to the guys here at CNN and I told them I would like to end Larry King Live, the nightly show, this fall and CNN has graciously accepted, giving me more time for my wife and I to get to the kids’ little league games.”

Mr. King said he would remain at CNN in a limited capacity, hosting several special “Larry King Live” shows each year.

“I’m incredibly proud that we recently made the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest running show with the same host in the same time slot,” Mr. King wrote. “With this chapter closing I’m looking forward to the future and what my next chapter will bring, but for now it’s time to hang up my nightly suspenders.”

Mr. King’s contract was set to expire in June 2011.

In an e-mail message to staffers, the CNN/U.S. president Jonathan Klein said Mr. King had “decided to take a step back from the nightly grind.” He emphasized that Mr. King was ending the show “on his own terms.”

“He is not leaving CNN,” Mr. Klein continued. “Larry is a beloved member of the CNN family and he will continue to contribute to our air with periodic specials.”

Mr. Klein said the network would “celebrate tenure in proper fashion over the coming months,” without giving specifics.

CNN did not immediately name a successor to Mr. King and his vaunted 9 p.m. time slot. Mr. King has said in the past that his first choice for a successor is the entertainer Ryan Seacrest.

The New York Times reported last month that there was a growing feeling at the company that a succession plan should be put in place, but there is no evidence that CNN is actually preparing such a plan.

“They have this iconic personality who is going to disappear in the not-too-distant future, and they don’t have any clue what they’re going to do,” one senior employee said last month, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he did not have permission from the channel to speak publicly.

Mr. King’s show, like CNN as a whole, has suffered from severe ratings declines. The second quarter of 2010 was the lowest-rated quarter ever for “Larry King Live,” according to ratings from The Nielsen Company.

The low ratings have been a symbol of CNN’s struggle to compete in a partisan cable news environment. Last week, the cable channel announced that it would replace the news show “Campbell Brown” with an as-yet-untitled discussion show starring Eliot Spitzer and Kathleen Parker.

nytimes.com

I guess I will miss his suspenders.

Good. I can't stand him. I laugh so damn hard when he asked Christina Aguilera is she was a singer. This has been a long time coming. He's slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, he did some pretty interesting interviews. I really liked his interview with Martha Stewart. But he hasn't been doing anything interesting in a while.

Mr. King has said in the past that his first choice for a successor is the entertainer Ryan Seacrest.
Wait-WHAT! Ryan Seacrest!! He can barely be taken seriously.

^ God I hope they don't chose him. I heard they want Piers Morgan(sp?) . I cannot stand Seacrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I heard that too. I think Piers is a much better candidate than Seacrest :ninja:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abzal17
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->