The Last Movie You Saw?

Originally posted by JRSlims@Nov 30 2004, 06:52 PM
my last 3 movies...
Before Sunrise -  :heart:  it!!
House of Sand & Fog - the best movie of the last 2 years by far... breathless...
Swimming Pool (france) - perfect...

highly recommend the 3 of them..!  :woot:
[snapback]445095[/snapback]​

Really? I thought Swimming Pool was weak.

I just saw Winged Migration... again. It's just so gorgeous.

I'm with faust. The twist in the end was so been-there-done-that (i.e. Fight Club). I also hated House of Sand and Fog; insufferably pompous and thuddingly dull.

I saw Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon. I liked it for two reasons. One is it's sort-of a mystery movie on how the stories were told (I like manipulative movies). Second it was a meditation on human nature and how we lie for own selfish benifit.

Also PT Anderson's Punck Drunk Love. I completely agree with this review:

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

3 and 1/2 starts (out of 4)

Punch-Drunk Love begins with our main character, Barry Egen, cordoned off into the far left corner of the Cinemascope frame, trapped behind a desk and smothering in a deep-blue, almost chrome-like, suit.

We know immediately that writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson is in complete control of this situation. He's an up-and-coming master filmmaker with enough gumption to tell an unusual story, and to jump from the sprawling, infuriating, epic and brilliant three-hour Magnolia to an 89-minute Adam Sandler comedy.

But don't expect Sandler to go around doing his usual thing. As illustrated by that opening shot, Anderson has him on a tight leash. He explodes only within the confines of the film, and only in accordance with certain rules.

As a result, his Barry comes across as rather sweet and lost, an anti-hero that most of us can actually identify with instead of laugh at. "I'm a nice man!" he screams at one character late in the film, and we believe him.

Barry works in an anonymous San Fernando Valley warehouse selling novelty plungers. When we meet him, it's very early in the morning, and he clutches an insulated steel coffee mug and wanders out to the street where the early dawn glows over the ugly buildings. A car crashes, flips over and slides down the street, and a cab stops and an unseen someone sets a harmonium (a little piano) on the street.

A little later, a beautiful Englishwoman comes by Barry's office hoping to drop off her car to get it fixed. It's an innocuous meeting, but it later leads to true love. In fact, we later learn that the woman, named Lena (Emily Watson), specifically came by to meet him. (She works with one of Barry's seven domineering sisters.)

Though Barry's life isn't really that complicated, he has a lot going on. One lonely night, he dials a phone-sex service and the following morning, the girl calls him back to ask for money. Now he's the victim of an interstate shakedown. On top of that, he thinks he's figured out a scam using Healthy Choice pudding and frequent flyer miles (a true story).

The funniest thing about Barry is that none of these things is very easily explained. On his first date with Lena, he finds it's better not to say anything. Not to mention that he has an uncontrollable temper, brought on by years of abuse from his older sisters. During the date, he smashes up the bathroom out of frustration and fear that he's screwing everything up.

If you howled when Sandler hauled off and whacked Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore, you might not like it when Sandler's uncontrollable violence and temper are channeled into something healthier and ultimately more appealing here.

The movie takes a wondrous turn when Lena jets off to Hawaii for a business trip and Barry decides to follow her. In a normal Hollywood romantic comedy, this would lead to an inevitable disaster, but Anderson instead provides us with some of the sweetest, most heartbreakingly wonderful moments in any movie this year.

Throughout most of this sequence, draped like a ratty, comfy bathrobe over a rumpled bed, Anderson weaves a song called "He Needs Me," which was recorded by Shelley Duvall for Robert Altman's 1980 Popeye movie, of which I am a lonely admirer. You can choose to remember that Anderson has already been compared with Altman on more than one occasion, or you can sit back and enjoy the disarming sweetness of it all.

I also loved that Anderson did not feel the need to tack on a third corner, stretching his movie into the standard, boring old love triangle. Punch-Drunk Love has the nerve to show us two slightly odd, lonely, and entirely open-hearted people who only have trouble realizing that someone else finally understands and connects with them.

I should mention that Anderson regulars Luis Guzman and Philip Seymour Hoffman (both in Boogie Nights and Magnolia) turn in superb supporting performances, as well as the fascinating Mary Lynn Rajskub (also in Sweet Home Alabama, speaking of stupid love triangles), who plays Barry's most prominent sister.

Ultimately, I suppose I'm overpraising Punch-Drunk Love, which certainly lacks the scope and grandeur of Magnolia or Boogie Nights and the edge of Hard Eight, Anderson's virtually unknown debut film. But I admired that Anderson had the nerve to dial it down for one movie. And in the end, it just flat-out made my day.

Lastly, I saw Hitchcock's Vertigo. An amazing, extraordinary, brilliant movie. It's about a man at his most obsessed and a doomed romance. PURE HITCHCOCK!

Kate & Leopold, now I'm even more frightened of elevators :cry:

Shrek 2...that was a cute cartoon :blush:

Today I have nothing to do so it might be a movie marathon day :innocent:

Originally posted by Belowen@Dec 3 2004, 01:34 AM
Bad Santa
[snapback]448626[/snapback]​

That rocked!

Thanks, Igni for sharing my opinion. If only we could get our money back for every movie we rented and did not like, my closet would be so much bigger...

agreed on Swimming Pool...

Faust--I got Dogville in the mail y'day. Will let you know what I think.

Originally posted by purechris@Dec 3 2004, 10:42 AM
agreed on Swimming Pool...

Faust--I got Dogville in the mail y'day. Will let you know what I think.
[snapback]448997[/snapback]​

WOOT!

Dawn of the Dead. That's got to be the best horror flick ever done in our era(next to 28 Days Later...).

watching 'Stepford Wives' at the moment with my sister. Its really silly. However it reminds me so much of the place i live & the oil wives who live here.... its acrylic nail heaven :rolleyes:

Originally posted by maarit@Dec 3 2004, 05:14 PM
American Splendor
[snapback]449676[/snapback]​

That opening scene, I just fell over; "Lady, I'm no Superhero, I'm just a kid from the block." And then, "Why does everybody have to be so stupid!" :lol:

It was a good movie, reminded me of Todd Solondz's films.
It had a lot of funny scenes, I can't believe it's based on real life :lol:

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 3 2004, 11:03 AM
Dawn of the Dead. That's got to be the best horror flick ever done in our era(next to 28 Days Later...).
[snapback]449031[/snapback]​

Really you liked both of those movies? I found 28 days to be too "fake" looking. it didn't scare me one bit.

I liked Dawn of the Dead. It was "more than okay" but "less than great". I will go see the sequel though.

Wilde :wub:

I've seen it before, but Stephen Fry is so convincing as Oscar Wilde, it's incredible :blush: But it's terrbily depressing to witness the type of persecution and discrimination endured by homosexuals at that time :cry:

Saw had my hands over my eyes half the time and couldnt for the life of me figure out who was the killer i was! i was surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->