The Last Movie You Saw?

^^^ Once the Golden Age of Hollywood was able to shoot in color, some of its directors started to think like painters with their distinct color-palette and gorgeous cinematography, and Hitchcock absolutely surpassed those standards that remain referential to this day. Tom Ford has returned to those eras for his filmmaking style. I’ve said it before: I look forward to his films so so so much more than I do his fashions.

The still of her in the teal/turquoise set is sublime— like a painting. The aesthetics of that period in America is so timeless: Distinctively it own modernity and effortlessly blue-blood preppy: It’s so proudly and unapologetically WASP— and why I adore Tom’s filmmaking style. Every creative individual should be proud of and draw inspiration from their heritage... :hint: designers of the current era:hint:...

I've watched quite a bit, and in particular I've revisited some old flicks I always love...

Maybe my favorite that I've rewatched is "Leave Her To Heaven." It's an underrated and relatively unknown Technicolor noir flick starring Gene Tierney, who is potentially the most gorgeous actress of all time. It's on Youtube, and I highly recommend the watch, particularly for you two, @Benn98 and @Phuel ...talk about some fashion imagery inspiration.

It totally captures my favorite era and look...early 40's America...the cutting edge of style, so severe and fashion forward, but contrasted so perfectly with the rugged landscape and that sort of Ranch style home.

Plus, Gene's performance and look is so beautiful and so wicked you can't forget it. There's one scene in particular...you'll know it when you watch it...unforgettable...

The quality of this Youtube upload is pristine! And agreed on all points, it's a super stylish production and the storyline kept me intrigued. I'm not usually a Gene Tierney fan maybe because I haven't watched many of her movies. The score also stood out for me. Surprised that I've never heard of it until now. If you have more recommendations, let us know!

Re Hitchcock, rewatched North by Northwest recently and it once again left me in awe. Everything is just perfect. Cary Grant and how he casually crosses his legs in EVERY sitting scene whether he's lounging, making a call, or in his underwear. And those sunglasses are stunning, my God! I normally stop watching when it comes to the Mount Rushmore scene because of my fear of height, so don't ever ask me how it ends, lol. Haven't ever watched Vertigo in full for the same reason, I mean that opening scene where the guy slips from the roof and James dangling is just too graphic??? :shock::wacko:

Rope is another of his chic colour movies. It's very much like a play, but the colours are rich and I particularly liked the homoerotic tension between the Dall and Granger (who were both gay IRL) and that haunting final speech! It's probably one of the best acted classic movies imo.

From his earlier works, I like Rebecca and Suspicion, obviously. But Shadow of Doubt is such a great story above all else. It opens with a really saccharine and picture-perfect view of an American family almost like a John Waters parody and the kids are too cure, but it all made me very tense and mildly sad because I know sh!t would go south pretty soon. Because, sigh, it's a noir.

The Invisible Man (2020)
Incredibly suspenseful movie with an outstanding performance by Elisabeth Moss. I would recommend it to anyone who's a fan of a good thriller movie.

Novitiate
Zabawa w chowanego
Pope Francis: A Man of His Word

Feeling pious :meow:. I had these three films lined up and I find Catholicism insufferable so I figured I could just watch it all in a row so I don't have to get back to the topic any time soon, so I did and glad I did it in that order. Novitiate centers on the changes in convents under the Second Vatican Council, which I had no idea about.. naturally (why would they teach that while simultaneously teaching us to feel sorry for anyone that's not a Catholic..) so I learned quite a few things in addition to that.. such as why my grandaunt who lived in a convent under a rock in Spain did not strictly abide by the typical nun dress code. Margaret Qualley's acting is so good and refined.. she's obviously very pretty and the camera makes use of that but she's also studied her craft and has the right dose of intensity in each scene. Melissa Leo and Julianne Nicholson are wonderful as well.. such an underrated film.

Zabawa w Chowanego/Hide and Seek.. highly recommended to anyone that is interested in the topic but can't handle too many details and just cares about these people being brought to justice. Pope Francis.. I actually enjoyed it, Wim Wenders's Cuban experience is evident and romanticizes the subject quite a bit but it's still a nice reminder that there's a tiny fraction in all fandoms of all supernatural forces that involves philosophy, critical thinking and introspection, rather than obnoxious proselytism, and that's kind of fascinating.

^^^ If you’re on a Catholic/Judeo-Christian kick, and looking for a more thoughtful supernatural take, have you seen The Wailing?

It’s part the demonic possession of The Exorcist (without the now terribly outdated silly possessed makeup), part Jacob’s Ladder with its eternal telling of the metaphysical struggle of Good/Evil’s fight over out eternal souls, and all glorious Korean classic ghost fable. There’s nothing “horrifying” about the story in that it’s not a classic Hollywood fright-night sort of trope, just old-fashion great storytelling and absolutely invested acting from a talented group. If you dig the clever twisted sensibility of Parasite, this is the same mood in its fable-esque storytelling. And as with the best of Korean filmmaking, it sure knows how to masterfully blur the lines between tones of comedy amidst tragedy.

Just watched The Birds & Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Watched The Birds with my mom and we laughed at it, we are horror film buffs and we prob just didn’t find it that disturbing ( we watch every Rob Zombie film that comes about ASAP)!! The Birds was was so good though.. the fashion was great imo!!

Breakfast at Tiffany’s was a good movie. Maybe just underwhelming compared to what I heard and then what I watched...But I still loved it!! **SPOILER AHEAD**

**SPOILER**...

I hated when she let her cat go wtf... I have a cat, and he would not survive in an alley in NYC (Prob bc he is a CT cat lol)... it made me sad lol

Been watching a lot of Jean Arthur films on Criterion Channel. What a face and that magical voice! Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The More the Merrier, Only Angels Have Wings and The Talk of the Town have been especially enjoyable.

Ai Weiwei's Coronation. :heart:

Nice to see Wuhan get some mic time for a change, it makes me a a bit sad how they were pretty much on their own the first couple of months and how throughout the entire lockdown remained respectful in their interactions.. not obedient (because we all know why!) but just seemingly civil to each other (no toilet paper numbers to be forever embarrassed about).

That hardcore communist grandma though, when she starts throwing/showing these awards and her soup advice.. :ninja::rofl:

Suspiria (2018)

I like that it combines dance & horror movies - my favorite things lol.. but I think I was expecting something a bit different from watching the trailer.

It still wasn’t too bad though, i appreciate the vision & how dance was used kind of as a weapon - which I would never have thought about before lol.

Dune 2020

Not even the 2 most insufferable leads can dampen my glee for this. Denis is a creative visionary— and Jason and Oscar look particularly swoonworthy (and for some reason, Lisa Bonet would have been so perfect in this as a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother, and Rick Owens designs too).

^^I don't so mind Timothee in this role. Zendaya, on the other hand is a very strange choice, indeed....but I agree, this looks like it could be fabulous. I love Denis' vision.

Timothee's speech sounds so annoying and breathy, diction please!

Zendaya's agent must have asked for her soul in exchange!

^^^ Timothee is Timothee and will always do the same moody heady too cool attitude that-gets-the-girlz-squealing and no doubt he’s giving that vibe here. He or his agent absolutely knows how to pick their projects though, because even when he’s playing the douchey-type so effortlessly (and so naturally), a film like Hot Summer Nights is so solid. And Zendaya is clearly a socio-political casting, and that’s just the way it is :sigh: To be fair, the Fremen always gave the impression that they were a brown/olive-skinned people. So I always imagined Chani as ME/Hispanic/Mediterranean, and Zendaya does possess such features.

But more importantly, finally Oscar’s talent and beauty isn't wasted in a scifi/fantasy role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->