Leaving In Normal Conditioner?

Discussion in 'Hair Care' started by Max, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Max

Max New Member

Hey,

Is it fine to leave conditioner in your hair that is not a specific "leave-in" conditioner?

I just realized yesterday, after forgetting to rinse, that it provides excellent hold and it's a lot easier to mold your hair when it's totally wet instead of towel dried - plus there's no messing with gel.

2. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

I have normal conditioner on my hair right now...it works great when I dont want to wear hairgel while being home, and not looking like I just woke up...I think is just fine, but don't do it everyday, cause the excessive humidity or hydration can rot your hair :wacko:

*edit: By the way, Welcome Max :flower:

3. PradaP

PradaP New Member

I wouldnt do it, because they are meant to be washed out, if you want something to leave in, just purchase a leave in one :)

4. Plumour

Plumour New Member

exactly! and could be bad for the scalp.
    I wouldn't do that myself.
    maybe you can look for some leave-in conditioners?

5. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

I used to do it occasionally when my hair was really, really long and prone to tangleing.

What I would do was wash my hair, and wrap it up in a towel to soak off most of the water. When it was dryish, I would put about a penny-sized drop of conditioner in my hands, rub them together, then lightly pat the conditioner into the ends of my hair. I found that it really helped when my hair was getting well out of hand. Also, my hair never "rotted." I don't think this is actually possible your hair still dries, same as it would if you just washed your hair, got out of the shower, and went about your business. It could end up looking pretty manky if you used too much conditioner--really greasy and kind of dirty, but a sparing use of extra regular conditioner is not a big deal.

Oh, and if it starts to build up and look flat and dull, you can take about a litre of water, pour in a couple of capfuls of vinegar, and pour this over your head. It gently strips all of the buildup out of your hair, and if you only use a little bit of vinegar, maybe two or three capfuls, you will not smell like a pickle.

6. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

If it's working for you, stick with it. After using both leave-in and regular conditioner, I've found the only difference is making room on the shelf for another bottle.

It may depend on the hair you have but for me I must say other products, like Kiehl's "Shine N' Lite Groom," do an even better job because they look less present, last longer and have less build-up on the scalp.

7. Jaim45

Jaim45 New Member

I find that it weighs my hair down. The less conditioner I use the more full my hair is

8. mode_addict

mode_addict New Member

it actually can damage your hair bc of the excessiveness.

9. Mask OF Life

Mask OF Life New Member

i bought some swarzkopt leave in conditioner and it smells BAD :doh: :yuk: u have to wash it out afta a couple of days cause the smell was ewwhy :wacko:

10. Max

Max New Member

you don't wash your hair every day anyways? :blink:

11. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

Not everybody washes their hair daily. Not everybody has to.

I do wash mine daily in the summer, because I ride my bicycle to and from work and get pretty sweaty, but in the winter time, when my skin is dry and when I don't seem to sweat much, no matter what activities I do, I only have to wash my hair every three days. It just doesn't really get greasy or messy looking, and I don't use any gel or spray or mousse, so there is no good reason.

Washing your hair too much can be hard on it anyway, especially if you have a dry scalp or fine hair. In my case, my hair is fairly coarse and resilliant, and it looks better if I don't wash it daily...it has a tendency to be very bushy and flyaway if washed too frequently.

In the summertime, with my daily washing and bike-helmet wearing, I have a very long season of bad hairdays! :lol:

12. dramatique

dramatique New Member

you don't wash your hair every day anyways? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Ideally, you should wash your hair on alternate days. However, I have extremely greasy hair so I have to wash it everyday :p

13. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

i use keihls leave in conditioner w/ cocnut oil and sunscreen. it works great. keeps hair smooth and weightless. but maybe if you are doing an intense hairstyle the heaviness of leaving in regular conditioner would work as molding paste, i would avaoid doing it all the time tho'.....think of the build up/ residue that will accumulate over time, even after rinsing :doh:

14. Nemova

Nemova -

Another good option would be the Neutrogena Clean Shampoo. It cleanses and moisturizes the hair at once, it's good for everyday use and doesn't leave build-up. If you get the shampoo, get also the conditioner, it will probably serve your purpose. ;)