Lisa Ho - Australian designer

SomethingElse

Press escape to continue.
Reaction score
Lisa Ho was born in Albury, on the New South Wales and Victorian border.

She began sewing at age four inspired by her grandmother, a tailor, whom Ho says she 'probably drove mad'. Ho made patterns out of newspaper and by age 10 had a sewing machine at the end of the kitchen table 'that nobody was allowed to move,' which she used every day to make things for herself and four sisters. She later trained in fashion design at East Sydney Technical College, graduating in 1981 and spent a year working for another company, which she 'hated', before going out on her own.

Like many of Australia’s fashion designers, fresh out of college in 1982, Lisa Ho started her career at the Paddington markets with her designs that quickly brought her retail and media attention and began the Lisa Ho brand.
The Lisa Ho brand has continued to build into one of the most recognised brands in Australia and has a strong celebrity following with the signature pieces being worn by Delta Goodrem, Bec Cartwright, Sarah Wynter, Elle Macpherson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Olivia Newton-John and Jennifer Lopez. Her international reputation was first recognized during the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony, which featured a special Lisa Ho designed segment celebrating her role in Australian fashion. Lisa was also asked to design the gown worn by Olivia Newton-John for her performance to welcome the Olympic athletes. Ho now employs 70 staff, which doesn't include outworkers, who man 11 signature stores and head office. Her label is also stocked in more than 250 boutiques worldwide, and she is seriously thinking about opening a store in Los Angeles.

^ From wikipedia

S/S 2007/2008:

http://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/show_coverage/2007/2007_2008_rafw_spring_summer/schedule/lisa_ho/lisa_ho_runway

Pretty pretty pretty! :heart:

img_74181.jpg

vogue.com.au

Thank you SomethingElse for bringing up this designer, I have not seen her work before although I have known her name.

I have to say the clothes are nothing spectacular... looks like a collection of hip sportswear probably overpriced and sold as "couture".

Her work is a bit conservative but affordable - especially her swimwear. I think her ready to wear is very wearable for the most part. :rolleyes: And she has a significant following in Australia.

"Fashion Week should be declared dress week. And after a week of babydolls, micro minis, shifts, tunics, knit dresses and glamour gowns, Lisa Ho's collection stood out from the crowd. The Fashion Week veteran does not take big risks. She knows her customers want a chic day dress, a cool cossie and a sexy evening gown - all of which Ho delivered with a new-season silhouette. Volume in the sleeves, swing in the skirts, metallic fabrics, touches of colour and dress lengths to suit the bold (micro mini) and the demure (just above the knee)."

The Age, Australia - May 15, 2007 http://www.theage.com.au/news/fashion/the-week-that-was/2007/05/08/1178390312530.html

^ Absolutely. Keep in mind I'm not passionate about her work but I think it's very wearable and to broaden our perspectives beyond the European designers, important to post. In addition to the summer dress in posting #1, I like these:

And from last year...

lisaho.com . vogue.com.au

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaanok
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->